shayman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 4S Cross Tourismo (Est. June)
Country flag
may not be doing it for Canada - Tesla is being 'forced' to open Supercharger network in US via the attraction of federal funds - since there are no requirements or similar funds for Canada perhaps they are holding back for now - that's ashame no question.

My opinion - Elon should just retrofit all the North American superchargers w/MagicDocks and then reap the rewards of higher utilization.
A shame, to be sure. And I agree - open all NA superchargers to CCS charging.

I'm hoping that Telsa realizes that Canadians do drive in the US and might want to use their Superchargers when they do.
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can only go by my experience with EA, which so far continues to be perfect. It has worked 100 percent of the time, all plug and charge. No cc and no phone calls. My only complaint is that the location strategy is moronic.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
well, Porsche call it a charger in the configurator (at least in the US) ;)

we all know what it is, let’s not split hairs
It's like the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect or Plus is not a charger - the charger is in the car.

A DC booster is not a charger.

No hairs were harmed just making factual statements to help with broader education.

Doesn't help the Porsche just confuse with their namings.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Greetings folks. I had the opportunity to try one of the new design superchargers that features the "Magic Dock" CCS adapter in Scotts Valley CA today, between San Jose and Santa Cruz through the mountains off highway 17. Came away very impressed and reminded of why people love the supercharger network. If you're not familiar, Tesla are upgrading their charging stations to include a system to dispense a CCS adapter that is stored inside the charger itself to enable non Tesla vehicles to use superchargers. Also please save any Elon Musk discussion for another time, this is about charging our cars.

1678070404758.jpeg

On the Tesla app, all you have to do is create an account and add a credit card. then you click "charge my non tesla vehicle" and it guides you to a station that supports this system, and prompts you to pick which stall you're at. One large advantage of Supercharger is that many of the stations, even in the middle of nowhere, have many more stalls than EA's standard 3-4 stall stations, I believe most are minimum of 8 with some enormous stations (such as on I5 between SF and LA providing as many as 40, split between 150 and 250kw. This station has 16, providing up to 250kw.

1678070761149.png
1678070811194.jpeg
1678070920787.png

After that, you unlock, the adapter comes out with the normal tesla plug, and you plug it in. I did not have any issues with plug length attaching to the Taycan but some folks with an ID4 would have had to block lanes. And then, it started charging. Regrettably my Taycan did not have the 150kw/400V charger option so my charge speed topped out at 47kw but still was able to do a respectable 2 miles per minute of charging.

My understanding from all my friends with Teslas and my parents who have owned 4 is that this is the standard experience with superchargers, that it just works. EA is just such trash by comparison in terms of reliability and honestly, I hope they are terrified of this, because if I had the 150KW charger, I would literally never go to EA again once my complimentary charge plan runs out.

Anyway, I think this will be great for us, and honestly even capping at 50kw it pretty good if you're going to be somewhere for a little while or in a pinch. Ask me anything.
Just downloaded the Tesla app- looks like besides Scott Valley there are 8 stalls in Placerville that are capable of supporting non tesla cars... and fortunately for me I do have the 150kW/400 option (though it was a lucky mistake I had planned to not order it but had checked it on the configurator when I did order )... looking forward to more tesla sites opening up to CCS cars.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
LOL no one pissed in your coffee, but you drank too much cool-aid. Plug and charge doesn't work all the time and so you still have to resort to the app to unlock the charger.

Good that you can do average of 90kW. Here in SoCal, a typical station with 3-4 chargers usually at least 1 is dead, sometimes more. Then there are cars waiting ahead of you. You end up with 2 chargers and a queue of people doing at least 20min sessions. When they do work, I get 50kW, on average. I always reported the issue in the EA app.
I just did my 20th EA charging session in CA, including six in SoCal with none of those problems. Only got under 50kwh once. No apps needed. Not sure why my car works.

I’ve also used EVGO three times now with no wait and no app required. Just swiped the cc and charged. 45kwh though.

No kool aid at any locations.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can only go by my experience with EA, which so far continues to be perfect. It has worked 100 percent of the time, all plug and charge. No cc and no phone calls. My only complaint is that the location strategy is moronic.
I envy you for this

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
I just did my 20th EA charging session in CA, including six in SoCal with none of those problems. Only got under 50kwh once. No apps needed. Not sure why my car works.

I’ve also used EVGO three times now with no wait and no app required. Just swiped the cc and charged. 45kwh though.

No kool aid at any locations.
Happy you have had these experiences with EA- I think your sample size at this point (20) is small- let see how you feel over a larger time period... or you can take a look at plugshare - EA sites usually have some comments indicating less than optimal experiences....

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Happy you have had these experiences with EA- I think your sample size at this point (20) is small- let see how you feel over a larger time period... or you can take a look at plugshare - EA sites usually have some comments indicating less than optimal experiences....
Not to be a jerk, but I have Electrify America sample size back to 2019. 5 different CCS cars. 16 different western and midwestern states, roughly 60k to 70k of road tripping miles. Over 75 different EA sites. Hell, I drove across Utah in an Audi e-Tron before the Green River charger was open, which required a 200 mile detour to just to get to Vegas from Colorado.

Never been stranded. Delayed an hour or two? A few times. Had to move chargers to a faster one? Sure. But, the network outside of California is not as bad as people share on this forum. It is far from perfect, but it has gotten me from Denver to LA a few times, Denver to Houston a few times, Denver to Scottsdale more times than I can count, Denver to Vegas more times than I can count, Denver to Kansas City many times, and Denver to Jackson, WY a few times.

I get people are excited for the Tesla supercharging network to open. It is always great to have options, if you need them. I feel some people on this forum are looking to Tesla as an answer to their local charging woes, but I would not count those chickens before they hatch. If Tesla was serious about opening the network and accommodating everyone they would have just made a CCS/Tesla converter to sell like they did for Tesla owners to use a CCS charger. They did not. Why is that? I guess that tells you they will be very selective in how they roll out the conversion process.

Tesla will do the absolute minimum required to qualify for federal funds to invest into expanding charging infrastructure. This is free money they want to get to expand Tesla benefits in order to make it more attractive to buy a Tesla, not to easily accommodate a Rivian, or a Ford F-150 Lightning, or a Porsche.

Always read the fine print when it comes to Elon Musk and Tesla.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If Tesla was serious about opening the network and accommodating everyone they would have just made a CCS/Tesla converter to sell like they did for Tesla owners to use a CCS charger. They did not. Why is that? I guess that tells you they will be very selective in how they roll out the conversion process.
good point, had not considered this aspect.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Not to be a jerk, but I have Electrify America sample size back to 2019. 5 different CCS cars. 16 different western and midwestern states, roughly 60k to 70k of road tripping miles. Over 75 different EA sites. Hell, I drove across Utah in an Audi e-Tron before the Green River charger was open, which required a 200 mile detour to just to get to Vegas from Colorado.

Never been stranded. Delayed an hour or two? A few times. Had to move chargers to a faster one? Sure. But, the network outside of California is not as bad as people share on this forum. It is far from perfect, but it has gotten me from Denver to LA a few times, Denver to Houston a few times, Denver to Scottsdale more times than I can count, Denver to Vegas more times than I can count, Denver to Kansas City many times, and Denver to Jackson, WY a few times.

I get people are excited for the Tesla supercharging network to open. It is always great to have options, if you need them. I feel some people on this forum are looking to Tesla as an answer to their local charging woes, but I would not count those chickens before they hatch. If Tesla was serious about opening the network and accommodating everyone they would have just made a CCS/Tesla converter to sell like they did for Tesla owners to use a CCS charger. They did not. Why is that? I guess that tells you they will be very selective in how they roll out the conversion process.

Tesla will do the absolute minimum required to qualify for federal funds to invest into expanding charging infrastructure. This is free money they want to get to expand Tesla benefits in order to make it more attractive to buy a Tesla, not to easily accommodate a Rivian, or a Ford F-150 Lightning, or a Porsche.

Always read the fine print when it comes to Elon Musk and Tesla.
Your not being a jerk... should have stated that I have traveled all over Cali- have not been stranded by EA... but have had to many times move my car to another station, not been able to initiate a charge (even though the station was 'available') and pulled up to an EA station only to find half or more of the chargers out of service... I also wish Tesla would open it up 100% rather than the bare minimum but I am happy there is another charging network opening up regardless.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
"If Tesla was serious about opening the network and accommodating everyone they would have just made a CCS/Tesla converter to sell like they did for Tesla owners to use a CCS charger. They did not. Why is that?"

So far that's probably the most interesting comment in this thread.

I wondered about that myself. I think the answer is in the funding.

Tesla gets money from the govt IF and only IF the charging stalls support CCS. They get zero dollars for converters, and those converters aren't going to make all that much money at ~150 a pop.

So if the end state they are working towards is "our stalls support CCS", why also spend R&D on a converter? The fact that this approach also helps them control the rollout is a cherry on top from their perspective.

My money is on "within 2 years, most Tesla locations will support CCS, but non-Tesla cars will forever pay a xx% premium". Where the xx% will be driven by competition and how much they can get away with before causing an uproar.

To be clear, until EA changes it's game on reliability in the PNW, I'm more than happy to pay (a lot) extra.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Tesla gets money from the govt IF and only IF the charging stalls support CCS. They get zero dollars for converters, and those converters aren't going to make all that much money at ~150 a pop.

So if the end state they are working towards is "our stalls support CCS", why also spend R&D on a converter? The fact that this approach also helps them control the rollout is a cherry on top from their perspective.

My money is on "within 2 years, most Tesla locations will support CCS, but non-Tesla cars will forever pay a xx% premium". Where the xx% will be driven by competition and how much they can get away with before causing an uproar.

To be clear, until EA changes it's game on reliability in the PNW, I'm more than happy to pay (a lot) extra.

Good point on there possibly being language deep within some footnote on page 694 of some government document we will never see requiring Tesla stalls to support CCS as opposed to just providing a converter.

I guess we will wait and see what the Tesla charging ecosystem looks like in two years, because all we have to go on is the very vague White House press release. I hope that a wider Tesla rollout does two things - provides access to some parts of the country that are currently inaccessible via the existing charging networks, and forces the big CCS charging providers to significantly improve reliability.

If we get this, then we all win.

PS. Selfishly, I also want to see future videos on Youtube of Tesla owners losing their $hit over some massive EV like a Hummer EV or my F-150 Lightining blocking three stalls while charging. It is bound to happen, so looking forward this kind of entertainment. I personally would not block a bunch of stalls to charge my truck at Tesla supercharger, but someone one of these days will, and I am hoping the reaction is epic. And, yes, I could use a little more cheap entertainment in my life!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good point on there possibly being language deep within some footnote on page 694 of some government document we will never see requiring Tesla stalls to support CCS as opposed to just providing a converter.

I guess we will wait and see what the Tesla charging ecosystem looks like in two years, because all we have to go on is the very vague White House press release. I hope that a wider Tesla rollout does two things - provides access to some parts of the country that are currently inaccessible via the existing charging networks, and forces the big CCS charging providers to significantly improve reliability.

If we get this, then we all win.

PS. Selfishly, I also want to see future videos on Youtube of Tesla owners losing their $hit over some massive EV like a Hummer EV or my F-150 Lightining blocking three stalls while charging. It is bound to happen, so looking forward this kind of entertainment. I personally would not block a bunch of stalls to charge my truck at Tesla supercharger, but someone one of these days will, and I am hoping the reaction is epic. And, yes, I could use a little more cheap entertainment in my life!
You seem to have an issue with Tesla drivers that I don't share.

If enough non-Tesla drivers mis-behave, they will come up with rules to clean up the behavior. Odds are, those rules are going to impact the lives of every other non-Tesla driver too. Not sure I want to see where we end up.

Even from a pure driver perspective (i.e., excluding what Tesla/EA might do). If we see really bad behavior in terms of blocking, I think we'll eventually see vandalism. "That's a nice F-150 Lightning you got there blocking 3 stalls, what shame if it were keyed along the left side".
And then the whole premise of "park and charge while you're walking distance away eating something" will start to collapse.
Sponsored