TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Very glad to see this as another option to charge! I got the 400v booster so this will be very much an option if it comes to chargers along my routes. EA has by and large worked for me, with a few big hiccups, but I’ve used Tesla SC before and their stuff just works. Looking forward to seeing them roll this out in more places! Thanks OP for sharing!
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
You seem to have an issue with Tesla drivers that I don't share.

If enough non-Tesla drivers mis-behave, they will come up with rules to clean up the behavior. Odds are, those rules are going to impact the lives of every other non-Tesla driver too. Not sure I want to see where we end up.

Even from a pure driver perspective (i.e., excluding what Tesla/EA might do). If we see really bad behavior in terms of blocking, I think we'll eventually see vandalism. "That's a nice F-150 Lightning you got there blocking 3 stalls, what shame if it were keyed along the left side".
And then the whole premise of "park and charge while you're walking distance away eating something" will start to collapse.

it is not so much that I have issues with Tesla drivers, I just see the occasionally chaos that might occur when you try to have two very different types of car charging set ups attempt to leverage a single type of charging infrastructure meant for a particular spot on a vehicle. I am not sure how you enact "rules" to govern charging etiquette since it is all subjective.

My last paragraph was partially meant in jest, but you know dumb $hit is going to happen. It is human nature.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Ask me anything.
(regarding your 'Multi21' license plate) Is that you, Mark? ;-)

I just did my 20th EA charging session in CA, including six in SoCal with none of those problems. Only got under 50kwh once. No apps needed. Not sure why my car works.
Have you considered taking it in for an inspection?

When EA works, it's great; when it doesn't, it's the most frustrating experience - for me. On a recent trip North of the border, 3 out of 4 EA stops went flawlessly, with the only issue being asshole fellow charger-users. But that 1 last stop - and I will name names, Mt Vernon WA - it almost ruined the entire fucking trip. 4 stations, of which:
- 1 was out of order/unavailable
- 1 plug failed to click into the car; the outer casing of the plug was cracked, too
- 2 stations (both 350kW) were unavailable; after waiting for them to be free (more assholish charger-user behavior on display), P&C did not work, neither did selecting the station from the Porsche app. I swiped the CC to initiate the session(s), and was rewarded with 60kW of power. Moved to the other station after a few minutes, and experienced the same - handshake failure, CC-only, similar slow speed.

Did not have sufficient range to backtrack to a last-known-good EA station (which I had used on the out leg of the trip).

I was there for longer than an hour, on a planned stop, to add some 50-odd miles of range. Road tripping in this car has done a great deal to dispel my range anxiety; then every now and then I have one of these stops, and all that progress is erased. (Well, not all, but doubt is like rust.)

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've posted here about my EA nightmare outside Tahoe. So embarrassing and genuinely made me want to sell the car

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've posted here about my EA nightmare outside Tahoe. So embarrassing and genuinely made me want to sell the car
You mean the one where you had to wait for people who got there before you to charge, and then you plugged in and your car charged perfectly? Is that the ‘nightmare’ of which you speak?

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You mean the one where you had to wait for people who got there before you to charge, and then you plugged in and your car charged perfectly? Is that the ‘nightmare’ of which you speak?
waiting for you to stop acting like a smarmy jerk will for sure take longer than the amount of time I actually waited for people to finish charging (as opposed to trying to begin charging) in that story, but then again I only have one human lifespan to wait. I have no problem waiting for others to charge when the chargers work, you presenting it as that is dishonest and very obviously not what I complained about in my original post. if you're gonna peruse my post history and try to dunk on me, either get it right or fuck off.

just to refresh your memory- two of the chargers including one of the 350 were offline despite the app saying they weren't, a chevy bolt hogging the other 350 for two hours charging at 55 kw, me on hold with EA trying to help a guy in an e-tron get the 150 station to authorize and the car in front of me failing to be able to charge on the sole remaining 150kw charger, calling EA for 30 mins to fix, before giving up, and then my car charging and instantly working.

yes, that qualifies as a nightmare. bully for you my guy, you haven't had an EA problem yet, but unfortunately for you, the lived ownership experience I care about is mine, which is full of EA problems, and not yours, which doesn't concern me to any degree. next I expect you'll tell me I'm doing something wrong in order to have problems, or something

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...h-next-generation-chargers.12716/#post-189383

here's the post, the rest of y'all can tell me if this sucks or not, though I guess I need permission from archimedes to complain about when the reliability of EA makes me miss dinner, even if mostly secondhand.

Porsche Taycan Report: Charging my Taycan at Tesla Supercharger with new CCS compatible magic dock 1678150804271

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nothing smarmy about having a difference of opinion about what constitutes a ‘nightmare’ or an even a minor hardship, on a public discussion forum. Based on your posts, I believe you’re overreacting, and I’m pointing it out simply to present a counter argument or interpretation to yours for readers of this forum.

The post you referenced states that your car charged perfectly after you had to wait a while for a charger. Additionally you stated that all other times, EA worked fine for you. So again, just confirming that having to wait an hour one time to start a charge constituted a ‘nightmare’ situation to you. Seems like a bit of an overreaction, but what do I know, I don’t have a deep sense of entitlement.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t have a deep sense of entitlement.
Yes, speaking of differences of opinion…

Saying I simply waited to charge feels very much that you deliberately misunderstand in order to make yourself look or perhaps feel good. “Waiting to charge” doesn’t even warrant a post (which of course you know, because you’re not an idiot) whereas what I described was a frustrating and irritating experience for multiple people including myself, while I waited for them to attempt to solve the same charger problems that I myself have experienced all over the place. If you don’t see the difference there, I can only say that we will just have to agree to disagree.

I’m finished speaking to you on this topic at this time.

Last edited:

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Nothing like an EA topic to bring out the teeth.
This forum is 95% hugs and kisses, EA discussions occupy the other 5%.
I liken it to being bitten by a dog, if you have been bitten, you are afraid of dogs the rest of your life. If not, you don't understand why people are afraid of dogs.
Imo, this can only be a good thing because I think given enough time a Tesla charger will save each of us from a major headache at least once.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
just to refresh your memory- two of the chargers including one of the 350 were offline despite the app saying they weren't, a chevy bolt hogging the other 350 for two hours charging at 55 kw, me on hold with EA trying to help a guy in an e-tron get the 150 station to authorize and the car in front of me failing to be able to charge on the sole remaining 150kw charger, calling EA for 30 mins to fix, before giving up, and then my car charging and instantly working.
Nothing pisses me off more than rolling up, 5% SoC, warmed battery, ready for a sweet charge...to find a Bolt using the one 350kW unit while the other 150kW units are empty.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nothing pisses me off more than rolling up, 5% SoC, warmed battery, ready for a sweet charge...to find a Bolt using the one 350kW unit while the other 150kW units are empty.
right? I know it’s not their fault, I really blame GM… But God it’s frustrating.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
right? I know it’s not their fault, I really blame GM… But God it’s frustrating.
Totally. It's especially crushing when you're road tripping and really trying to make time.

There is light at the end of the tunnel; the newer EA units are set up to where any of the units can deliver 350kW, and it just delivers each car whatever it can take.

I need to go to Austin to try this, as the Waco and Round Rock chargers have both been updated to this.

Fortunately my daily use doesn't rely much on fast charging; in fact I've only DC charged twice since I got the GTS.

I do expect that to change as I plan to road trip to Silicon Valley again next quarter.

Maybe we can set up a Taycan lunch in Monterey at the Fish Hopper!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Totally. It's especially crushing when you're road tripping and really trying to make time.

There is light at the end of the tunnel; the newer EA units are set up to where any of the units can deliver 350kW, and it just delivers each car whatever it can take.

I need to go to Austin to try this, as the Waco and Round Rock chargers have both been updated to this.

Fortunately my daily use doesn't rely much on fast charging; in fact I've only DC charged twice since I got the GTS.

I do expect that to change as I plan to road trip to Silicon Valley again next quarter.

Maybe we can set up a Taycan lunch in Monterey at the Fish Hopper!
I"m 100% there as Monterey is local to me - I'd love to meet up for Taycan fish fry!!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag