bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Nothing pisses me off more than rolling up, 5% SoC, warmed battery, ready for a sweet charge...to find a Bolt using the one 350kW unit while the other 150kW units are empty.
Meanwhile on TMC, they're complaining about those slow charging 50kW Taycans hogging all those Tesla SuCs. :giggle:
Sponsored

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
150kW is no brainer, glad I spec it when ordering. Bought it with the understanding that Tesla will open up their Supercharging network. Don't knock the Supercharging network, it works. I'm just hoping they'll open up more than 10%.

-ThinkMac-
Wait till the ev car market further saturates and Tesla car prices get cut.

musk will open more to offset revenue lost from car sales eventually.

doesn’t make sense now given exclusive charging ecosystem is still part of the Tesla sales pitch.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Nothing pisses me off more than rolling up, 5% SoC, warmed battery, ready for a sweet charge...to find a Bolt using the one 350kW unit while the other 150kW units are empty.
you really shouldn't get so riled up about that.
the actual difference in charging time is minimal, maybe less than 10 minutes, there are far larger issues that you could encounter. save your anger for when a charger is only putting out 18kwh.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
Greetings folks. I had the opportunity to try one of the new design superchargers that features the "Magic Dock" CCS adapter in Scotts Valley CA today, between San Jose and Santa Cruz through the mountains off highway 17. Came away very impressed and reminded of why people love the supercharger network. If you're not familiar, Tesla are upgrading their charging stations to include a system to dispense a CCS adapter that is stored inside the charger itself to enable non Tesla vehicles to use superchargers. Also please save any Elon Musk discussion for another time, this is about charging our cars.

1678070404758.jpeg

On the Tesla app, all you have to do is create an account and add a credit card. then you click "charge my non tesla vehicle" and it guides you to a station that supports this system, and prompts you to pick which stall you're at. One large advantage of Supercharger is that many of the stations, even in the middle of nowhere, have many more stalls than EA's standard 3-4 stall stations, I believe most are minimum of 8 with some enormous stations (such as on I5 between SF and LA providing as many as 40, split between 150 and 250kw. This station has 16, providing up to 250kw.

1678070761149.png
1678070811194.jpeg
1678070920787.png

After that, you unlock, the adapter comes out with the normal tesla plug, and you plug it in. I did not have any issues with plug length attaching to the Taycan but some folks with an ID4 would have had to block lanes. And then, it started charging. Regrettably my Taycan did not have the 150kw/400V charger option so my charge speed topped out at 47kw but still was able to do a respectable 2 miles per minute of charging.

My understanding from all my friends with Teslas and my parents who have owned 4 is that this is the standard experience with superchargers, that it just works. EA is just such trash by comparison in terms of reliability and honestly, I hope they are terrified of this, because if I had the 150KW charger, I would literally never go to EA again once my complimentary charge plan runs out.

Anyway, I think this will be great for us, and honestly even capping at 50kw it pretty good if you're going to be somewhere for a little while or in a pinch. Ask me anything.
When I use the Tesla App, click on "Charge You Non-Tesla", it brings up a bunch of locks around Dallas. Do these mean I can't use them?
If I click on one of the locks (represents a wall connector bay") it tells me the price and tells me to plug in and scan the QR code. I have not tried to plug in yet...because I assumed the lock meant it won't work for me.

But then why would it tell me to plug in and then scan code. What's the lock mean?

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you really shouldn't get so riled up about that.
the actual difference in charging time is minimal, maybe less than 10 minutes, there are far larger issues that you could encounter. save your anger for when a charger is only putting out 18kwh.
I get riled up too! Ignorant and/or inconsiderate drivers shouldn't be allowed to do so without common courtesy education.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you have any trouble reaching the charge port?
The chargers that are up on a curb do not reach the Taycan which is 1/3 length of car. These same chargers in other installations are actually out in the middle of the lane and not at the end up on a curb. The Tesla cables are only about 5 feet long.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
When I use the Tesla App, click on "Charge You Non-Tesla", it brings up a bunch of locks around Dallas. Do these mean I can't use them?
If I click on one of the locks (represents a wall connector bay") it tells me the price and tells me to plug in and scan the QR code. I have not tried to plug in yet...because I assumed the lock meant it won't work for me.

But then why would it tell me to plug in and then scan code. What's the lock mean?
The only chargers in their network equipped for high speed are in NY and CA as of right now. Hopefully they will expand to other areas soon. That lock symbol means the charger (which would only be a L2 charger) is in a gated area, not for public access.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings folks. I had the opportunity to try one of the new design superchargers that features the "Magic Dock" CCS adapter in Scotts Valley CA today, between San Jose and Santa Cruz through the mountains off highway 17. Came away very impressed and reminded of why people love the supercharger network. If you're not familiar, Tesla are upgrading their charging stations to include a system to dispense a CCS adapter that is stored inside the charger itself to enable non Tesla vehicles to use superchargers. Also please save any Elon Musk discussion for another time, this is about charging our cars.

1678070404758.jpeg

On the Tesla app, all you have to do is create an account and add a credit card. then you click "charge my non tesla vehicle" and it guides you to a station that supports this system, and prompts you to pick which stall you're at. One large advantage of Supercharger is that many of the stations, even in the middle of nowhere, have many more stalls than EA's standard 3-4 stall stations, I believe most are minimum of 8 with some enormous stations (such as on I5 between SF and LA providing as many as 40, split between 150 and 250kw. This station has 16, providing up to 250kw.

1678070761149.png
1678070811194.jpeg
1678070920787.png

After that, you unlock, the adapter comes out with the normal tesla plug, and you plug it in. I did not have any issues with plug length attaching to the Taycan but some folks with an ID4 would have had to block lanes. And then, it started charging. Regrettably my Taycan did not have the 150kw/400V charger option so my charge speed topped out at 47kw but still was able to do a respectable 2 miles per minute of charging.

My understanding from all my friends with Teslas and my parents who have owned 4 is that this is the standard experience with superchargers, that it just works. EA is just such trash by comparison in terms of reliability and honestly, I hope they are terrified of this, because if I had the 150KW charger, I would literally never go to EA again once my complimentary charge plan runs out.

Anyway, I think this will be great for us, and honestly even capping at 50kw it pretty good if you're going to be somewhere for a little while or in a pinch. Ask me anything.
Does the Tesla app tell you exactly the locations of the superchargers in area that have the adapter?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In my experience the 150kW chargers are faster than the 350kW, so I honestly don’t care about which is available. Anything over 90 is great to me. I just wish the charging locations weren’t being decided by morons.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In my experience the 150kW chargers are faster than the 350kW, so I honestly don’t care about which is available. Anything over 90 is great to me. I just wish the charging locations weren’t being decided by morons.
I agree 100% locations and sub-location with in a parking lot are normaly poorly choosen…

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I get riled up too! Ignorant and/or inconsiderate drivers shouldn't be allowed to do so without common courtesy education.
Same. It's extremely frustrating. I once saw an ID.4 charging in a 350kw spot with plenty of 150kw available. I usually don't care and settle for the 150kw, but I was on a time crunch with low SOC and a warm battery. I asked the driver, "What's the fastest charging rate do you get with that thing?" He said, "Oh, I think almost 200." I responded, "No. Maybe 135 if you're lucky. So next time, leave these spots for someone who can charge faster than 150."

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Yes, speaking of differences of opinion…

Saying I simply waited to charge feels very much that you deliberately misunderstand in order to make yourself look or perhaps feel good. “Waiting to charge” doesn’t even warrant a post (which of course you know, because you’re not an idiot) whereas what I described was a frustrating and irritating experience for multiple people including myself, while I waited for them to attempt to solve the same charger problems that I myself have experienced all over the place. If you don’t see the difference there, I can only say that we will just have to agree to disagree.

I’m finished speaking to you on this topic at this time.
Careful, you're arguing with someone that claims he has never seen a pothole on 101 on the Peninsula. Forget hitting a pothole, he claims he's never seen one.

And his GT4 corners at +35mph over his Taycan, mind you he likes to hang sweepers on public roads at 125mph. Brilliant person admitting that on a public forum.

OP
OP
npx

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Careful, you're arguing with someone that claims he has never seen a pothole on 101 on the Peninsula. Forget hitting a pothole, he claims he's never seen one.

And his GT4 corners at +35mph over his Taycan, mind you he likes to hang sweepers on public roads at 125mph. Brilliant person admitting that on a public forum.
Yeah, and I've never seen a bad driver on 280 either
Sponsored