Requirements for driving in France…

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmm...

I live near the Spanish border which means that for the last 30 years or so, I've been routinely going there at least once a month. I always had to keep on par with the differences relative to vehicle legislation among both countries (Portugal & Spain) until maybe 15 years ago when some EU directive came into effect that states that vehicles must only comply to their country of origin when visiting other countries inside the EU.

For example, there was a time Spain demanded 2 warning triangles and a light kit (spare bulbs etc). However, Portuguese and other country's cars were not required to comply when travelling to Spain.

The reflective hazard coat or whatever it's called is EU wide as far as I know. So I expect that all cars have one of those in their glove box. If France demands one for each passenger then that's more then what other countries require and probably falls under the previous mentioned directive.

However, UK isn't in the EU anymore so I have no idea what directives apply to non-EU vehicles once on EU soil.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I must admit I didn’t take much notice of the plates when I was at the dealership, but had assumed it was automatic to get UK plates with the green (EV) colour on the end.

Don’t really want to put a sticker on PPF - are there any other options?

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve used a ‘UK‘ sticker (from Amazon) that sits over the green band on the front and rear numberplates. Easy to stick on and peel off after the trip.
I’ve ordered some while I remember, to avoid a last minute panic!

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
Good idea. Whereabouts in France are you going? I went down to the Loire last year and back via Normandy. I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of IONITY chargers in the North West.

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
BTW, if you’re using the tunnel, I find the higher carriages easier with the Taycan - they’re wider than the double deckers.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW, if you’re using the tunnel, I find the higher carriages easier with the Taycan - they’re wider than the double deckers.
Do you have to specify this in advance or can you request this when you arrive? We have a Flexi-pass.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good idea. Whereabouts in France are you going? I went down to the Loire last year and back via Normandy. I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of IONITY chargers in the North West.
We are going on the canals in Burgundy (near Dijon) with friends.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I must admit I didn’t take much notice of the plates when I was at the dealership, but had assumed it was automatic to get UK plates with the green (EV) colour on the end.

Don’t really want to put a sticker on PPF - are there any other options?
I asked the dealer (I had specified UK plates and they forgot) and they made some up and sent them.

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
Do you have to specify this in advance or can you request this when you arrive? We have a Flexi-pass.
i found that if I say I will have a roof box or skis on the roof I get a high carriage, it really does seem that they take a decision based on the total height of you car / luggage. When I arrive without anything on the roof I still get routed to the H channel. I think it’s much more accommodating than the double decker carriages, even if a touch more expensive. If you already have your tickets it might be too late to change but worth asking saying that you now realise you will have something on the roof.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
We live in France and have never been checked in 13 years. I know I'll now be stopped tomorrow lol.

Breath tests are n advisory, a warning triangle compulsory and at least 1 yellow vest within reach of the driver. I'm not aware of any other requirements.

Oh and stickers on the headlights but again never been checked. I have a UK car in France and stock them on for the French MOT then take them off again as they are ugly.
Sponsored