Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
yes, they should better inform: it's always an experience when you stop for the 1st time on a new network. You never know what will happen...

Ionity still remains cheaper: 33c per kWh, compared to 35c /kWh + 45c /mn on other networks. that's about an extra 10/15 € on a charge.

Porsche Taycan Requirements for driving in France… Screenshot_20230520-221242

Porsche Taycan Requirements for driving in France… Screenshot_20230520-221350

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
yes, they should better inform: it's always an experience when you stop for the 1st time on a new network. You never know what will happen...

Ionity still remains cheaper: 30c per kWh, compared to 35c /kWh + 45c /mn on other networks. that's about an extra 10/15 € on a charge.

Screenshot_20230520-221242.png

Screenshot_20230520-221350.png
99% of my charging will be ‘free’ via solar panels, so when I do have to pay to charge, it will be speed / convenience rather than cost. But of course it makes sense to use the Porsche-subsidised rates were possible!

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Warning triangle, at least two self breath test devices for alcohol plus those fluorescent tabards…

on a personal note I wouldn’t want to drive the autoroutes without having an Emovis tag for the tolls, saves loads of time and fuss and allows RHD passengers to ‘sleep’ through the toll plazas…
Pretty sure you don’t need breath test devices anymore. We go 5/6 times a year and haven’t bothered for years!

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
i found that if I say I will have a roof box or skis on the roof I get a high carriage, it really does seem that they take a decision based on the total height of you car / luggage. When I arrive without anything on the roof I still get routed to the H channel. I think it’s much more accommodating than the double decker carriages, even if a touch more expensive. If you already have your tickets it might be too late to change but worth asking saying that you now realise you will have something on the roof.
The single deck carriage is the same price as the double deck. I always tick the "roofbox" option to get the single deck. I use the Tunnel about 12 times per year.

Having driven through France literally hundreds of times over the last 23 years, I have barely seen a police car, never mind been stopped. I wouldn't worry about any of this.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The single deck carriage is the same price as the double deck. I always tick the "roofbox" option to get the single deck. I use the Tunnel about 12 times per year.

Having driven through France literally hundreds of times over the last 23 years, I have barely seen a police car, never mind been stopped. I wouldn't worry about any of this.
I had to amend my booking to add a roof box which added a £15 fee for each leg of the journey.
Probably would have been free if I had booked it at the start.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to amend my booking to add a roof box which added a £15 fee for each leg of the journey.
Interesting. I'll have another look when I make my next booking, which will be in a week or so. It's always been the same price whether ticking roofbox or not, at least when making the booking. In theory they should charge more for using the single deck as it's a less efficient use of space, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge more as they've really been gouging passengers since the pandemic started. They've ditched the "Frequent Traveller" bulk-buy tickets, so it effectively means I'm paying between two and three times more per crossing now than I was before.

I'm driving across tomorrow evening Calais to Folkestone in the Taycan. Single deck.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. I'll have another look when I make my next booking, which will be in a week or so. It's always been the same price whether ticking roofbox or not, at least when making the booking. In theory they should charge more for using the single deck as it's a less efficient use of space, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge more as they've really been gouging passengers since the pandemic started. They've ditched the "Frequent Traveller" bulk-buy tickets, so it effectively means I'm paying between two and three times more per crossing now than I was before.

I'm driving across tomorrow evening Calais to Folkestone in the Taycan. Single deck.
This is the key, I think.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the key, I think.
Was it a fee, or was it that prices generally had gone up in the meantime, and effectively you were making a new booking (although still on exactly the same train)?

I always tick "roofbox" now, even when I'm in a smaller car like my 3 Series, because the single deck is a much more pleasant experience. There's no risk of ending up next to the toilets on the train with absolutely zero chance of being able to get out of your car.

I must have done about 300 crossings through the Tunnel in the last 20 years. The carriages are still the original ones from 1994, and 30 years is a long time with no sign of them being replaced.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was it a fee, or was it that prices generally had gone up in the meantime, and effectively you were making a new booking (although still on exactly the same train)?

I always tick "roofbox" now, even when I'm in a smaller car like my 3 Series, because the single deck is a much more pleasant experience. There's no risk of ending up next to the toilets on the train with absolutely zero chance of being able to get out of your car.

I must have done about 300 crossings through the Tunnel in the last 20 years. The carriages are still the original ones from 1994, and 30 years is a long time with no sign of them being replaced.
I don’t think prices had increased, I was already paying £295 each way for Flexiplus!

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on the advice on here, I’ve ordered my Emovis tag - I know it needs to go in the central area by the rear view mirror, must I think there’s other sensors up here already or is it just the rain sensor?

My car will also have the Porsche dash cam.

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
Great advice on this thread and very timely as my mate and I are off to the d day landing beaches this Thursday via the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry.

I’ve got all the hotels booked, organised the ferry, the ionity charging route etc - he’s in charge of choosing the bars!

Not sure I’ll go with the Emovis tag as it’ll be good craic to see him squirm and moan about having to manage payment if we do actually use a toll road.

I have however encountered a slight problem - I checked my license was in my wallet and it was. However it was my old one, is out of date and I can’t find the replacement I know I’ve received. It takes up to 3 weeks for a new one 🤦‍♂️

So I am going to take the old one and say “sorry, I’ve picked the wrong one up“ but have the preset gov.uk validated license checker at hand?

What’s the worst that can happen………

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've just gone on to the Le Shuttle website to book another crossing for the first time in a few months (we had a lot of crossings booked in advance). Sure enough, they've completely changed the rules. You are right. It now costs more to book the wide carriage. Secondly, the standard non-refundable return doesn't now include the flexibility of being able to get on the next available shuttle as long as you arrive within two hours of your booked crossing. To have that flexibility you have to book the more expensive fully-refundable ticket. What an utter disgrace! I can't believe how in a short space of time I've gone from paying €100 per crossing to this!! It's not as if the service is good!

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
So I am going to take the old one and say “sorry, I’ve picked the wrong one up“ but have the preset gov.uk validated license checker at hand?

What’s the worst that can happen………
try not to exceed the speed limit then 🙄.... or be ready to let your mate drive your car !

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
RHD vehicles - if anyone is using Bip & Go please can you share pictures where you have attached to rear view mirror.
Many thanks in advance.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
RHD vehicles - if anyone is using Bip & Go please can you share pictures where you have attached to rear view mirror.
Many thanks in advance.
Not the greatest/clearest pictures – but this is where we have ours.

Porsche Taycan Requirements for driving in France… IMG_1995

Porsche Taycan Requirements for driving in France… Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 00.46.49