Requirements for driving in France…

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
We are planning to take the Taycan to France later in the year - I know that we are required to have fluorescent jackets in the event of an accident or breakdown. However, do we also still need to carry spare bulbs/fuses, and if so, what is actually needed for a Taycan?

I couldn’t see anything for a Taycan on the Porsche Tequipment store.

Thanks.
Sponsored

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Warning triangle, at least two self breath test devices for alcohol plus those fluorescent tabards…

on a personal note I wouldn’t want to drive the autoroutes without having an Emovis tag for the tolls, saves loads of time and fuss and allows RHD passengers to ‘sleep’ through the toll plazas…

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Warning triangle, at least two self breath test devices for alcohol plus those fluorescent tabards…

on a personal note I wouldn’t want to drive the autoroutes without having an Emovis tag for the tolls, saves loads of time and fuss and allows RHD passengers to ‘sleep’ through the toll plazas…
Thank you. I think the standard Uk spec already includes a warning triangle? Also need for spare bulbs/fuses anymore?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
We are planning to take the Taycan to France later in the year - I know that we are required to have fluorescent jackets in the event of an accident or breakdown. However, do we also still need to carry spare bulbs/fuses, and if so, what is actually needed for a Taycan?

I couldn’t see anything for a Taycan on the Porsche Tequipment store.

Thanks.
Switch the headlights over in the PCM.

Bulbs may be tricky.

A few folk from France on the forum who should be able to advise.

ChrisM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S, Polestar 2
Country flag
Agree on Emovis tag and plan your pit stops around Ionity chargers - quick and best value for money.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
Personally I would get the tag, especially if you did not have someone in the passenger seat who could deal with payment. It costs around 10 euro for the year plus any tolls you incur. For me at 10 euro vs the hassle it’s a no brainer

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally I would get the tag, especially if you did not have someone in the passenger seat who could deal with payment. It costs around 10 euro for the year plus any tolls you incur. For me at 10 euro vs the hassle it’s a no brainer
I will have 3 passengers, at least one should be awake, but I take your point!

Clawhammer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
I went in February.
100% for the Emovis tag.
Breathalysers are no longer required.
Fluro jackets for every person in the vehicle.
You also have to carry your V5 and valid MOT.
Passport for each occupant
Driving License
Insurance
Valid Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Switch the headlights over in the PCM.
I took my car over recently and it automatically switched the headlights.

For travelling in Europe I recommend the RAC website, e.g. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

I do recommend planning ahead on the emissions stickers for different countries (Crit’Air in France). I left it too late to order before travelling and needed one in Germany (even though the Taycan is electric 🙄) so had to go to a vehicle test centre with the V5 document. Details about the French system here: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

Incidentally, a couple of things when going over on the Eurotunnel … the Taycan is very wide and it is easier on the single deck for larger vehicles. Also, despite repeated attempts I couldn’t get the EV chargers on the Calais side to work when I was coming back (I think they were Engie - they seemed to negotiate the connection ok but then wouldn’t charge) so both ways I made good use of the Ionity chargers at junction 11 of the M20.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
on a personal note I wouldn’t want to drive the autoroutes without having an Emovis tag for the tolls
Or Bip&Go (https://www.bipandgo.com/en/) which has the advantage of delivering to more European countries then Emovis does.

I'm stupid enough to be carrying Porsche branded high-visibility jackets! Remember – in France – to be fully legal, you have to carry these in the cabin with you – not in the frunk/boot. I guess the idea is if you have to get out of the vehicle on a motorway to retrieve the jackets, it partially defeats the purpose of them.

https://shop.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/p/high-visibility-jackets-00004400113-B/00004400113

With the advent of firstly Xenon lights and now complicated LED matrix lights – the days of being able to carry around "spare bulbs" is well and truly over.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
You need a spare tire. Very painful if you destroy one.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just noticed the number plates on my new car are blank.

I assume this means I will need a UK sticker?
Sponsored