Seacow

First Name
Sea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT
Country flag
Interesting. I too need an interim car with a LONG range as I won't have home charging until at least middle next year. I am almost decided on a BMW I4 40. Test drive beginning next month. Initially I was considering a Tesla M3, but I just have no love for the brand or conservative looking car, and insurance was eye-watering.

I've instead been deciding between the Cupra Born - looks very fun, but will probably depreciate horribly and the larger battery that I want only has four seats, which will further hurt resale value; Hyundai Ioniq 5, which is technically an SUV and I don't like that bodystyle, also difficult to gauge depreciation where a new model comes out next year; or a BMW I4 40 M sport that will remain highly desirable and reviews says it drives incredible, which is what I want: something fun to drive. BMW are a premium brand unlike the other two, so depreciation will likely be softer.

Depreciation is a concern only because it's either rent something basic like an ID3 from ONTO, or purchase something and sell it in <12 months.

Granted the BMW is £15k more, but then I am looking at the "purchase" cost as purchase price minus sale price. That could mean the BMW ends up "cheaper" than both the Cupra and the Hyundai.

And cheaper than renting via ONTO or similar, for a similar class vehicle, even with insurance and public charging costs factored in.

Insurance is about £500 more than the other two brands, but that's nothing really as it's expensed through my business.

I4 M50 is a great choice! The range is excellent.
I suspect you would struggle to get any of them much quicker that the Taycan - especially the BMW - dealers were guilty of being very optimistic with dates earlier in the year and i think it’s as 12 months now - doubt any on your list would be less than 6 months. BMW IX3 and IX as well as some of the mercs are in stock or short lead times
Sponsored

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
I suspect you would struggle to get any of them much quicker that the Taycan - especially the BMW - dealers were guilty of being very optimistic with dates earlier in the year and i think it’s as 12 months now - doubt any on your list would be less than 6 months. BMW IX3 and IX as well as some of the mercs are in stock or short lead times
Agree, but I am going to buy whichever one has dealer stock available. According to AutoTrader and Carwow, there is availability for all three cars - and brand new, which the vehicle must be or I cannot claim 100% of the cost against corp tax.

It just means I can't spec it my own tastes, but then I don't care as it's only interim.

slim_sane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS (On Order), BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Just a note about BMW i4's especially M50, I've had an M50 on order since Aug 2021 and the build date just keeps getting pushed further back, now expected to be built in July :headbang: originally told Dec 2021, so I would imagine stock of non-registered cars is going to be very low.

Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
It is with great regret that I took the decision. To return my beautiful 2021 Taycan 4S after just 25 days of ownership, reason being the amount of issues I had in the this short space of time was ridiculous.
1- sensor in windscreen had to be re-calibrated
2-dip beam fault
3-two sensors went faulty on the front end (one for braking sensor and the other I can't remember now)
4-Air conditioning fault and could do pre-condition
5-child locks went Faulty and couldn't get our or into the rear of the car when child locks de-activated
6- the car took notions of not locking and sometimes even when unlocked we still couldn't enter the car as handles didn't release the door catch
7-on board charger blew up (this was the straw that broke the camels back)

So dissapointed, gutted as this was my ultimate dream car which I worked hard to be able to be in a position to finally buy one.

I also had a new one on order from Frbruary with expected build date of Q1 2023 which I cancelled, this wasn't because of my first experience as I am well aware that sometimes you can just get a bad car but it was because of the Director within my local Porsche dealership telling me "we have a number of customers all with Taycans who have experienced the same issues you are having but haven't returned their car so we will have to consider if selling me another one would be the right option" upon hearing this I told him not to think any more about it and to just cancel the order. I told him I may just have been unlucky with this one but would have hoped by 2023 Porsche would have cured a good few of these issues to which he replied that he wasn't going to over sell and under deliver so he couldn't say anything that would give us any confidence whatsoever on the new order.

In the 25 days of ownership I loved the car (obviously not the faults lol) and had I been dealing with someone who give a damn about us as a customer I most likely would have kept the other one on order but no matter, maybe some time again in the future.

20220508_110620.jpg

20220508_110613.jpg
Wow...this is some really bad luck. I haven't had a single issue since picking up my car in February.

OP
OP

James Rooney

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow...this is some really bad luck. I haven't had a single issue since picking up my car in February.
Yeah that's what I put it down to. Anyone can get a bad car, unfortunately my local porsche Dieector thought differently and his arrogance caused me to cancel the other one I had on order. I am absolutely gutted but let's see what next year brings. Glad your Taycan has been good to you, it was my dream car. 😪

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a note about BMW i4's especially M50, I've had an M50 on order since Aug 2021 and the build date just keeps getting pushed further back, now expected to be built in July :headbang: originally told Dec 2021, so I would imagine stock of non-registered cars is going to be very low.
I think there's a few knocking about, possibly cancelled orders or showroom demos.

If nothing is available then I'll literally have to find any EV in stock or otherwise reconsider ONTO.

The i4 does look fun. Have a test drive booked in early next month. Hopefully one dealer somewhere will have one in stock if I decide to pull the trigger.

I must say I am taken by how responsive and professional BMW have been.

I'm not even in the UK at the moment and within 48 hrs of emailing my local UK BMW dealer about a test drive, they'd already introduced themselves, tried to call me, followed up by email, made sure which model I was interested in, quickly provided test drive date/time, and sent a calendar invite.

Porsche? An email. No calendar invites. The onus is on you to make an effort with them...

s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Up to you of course. I have had minor issues with my Taycan CT since delivery in Feb but I love the car so much I wouldn't part with it, except possibly in favour of the new CT 4s I have on order. To me, cancelling your next order because you're pissed off at the dealer feels like a much greater loss to you than to them. Plus, why wouldn't you sell both your current car and your next car for a profit rather than returning it for nothing?

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
driving a 2020 for the last 2 months, with the only issue being some creaking from steering wheel (and out of date software that needs updating) this is WILD to me. Condolences, absolutely shit luck it seems. I4 will be awesome I'm sure.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They're knocking about. Spoke to my local BMW dealer today. Gave me a heads up about the Peterborough dealer who had an I4 in stock.

Phoned Peterborough. Confirmed a nicely specced I4 was incoming next month.

Talked through buy back options after 12 months cash purchase.

Was called by Peterborough not even ten minutes later.

Sold.

It's an arms race out there.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hate the player, not the game. Find a new dealer and buy another Taycan!

Porchfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Panamera4, 2021AMG GLE 53
Country flag
Been watching this forum for a few months as I have a Panamera now and want the Taycan badly. I have had many concerns about this vehicles quality....vigilant especially because it is an all new model. Thanks for your comments and honesty. I think many dealers do not get that 100-150k + automobiles need to be reliable , not gm or Ford quality. And no not perfect but not having many similar issues that require constant trips to dealer for resolution.

The taycan forum has a small overall number of members compare to total owners of the Taycan so probably not all of the problems owners are experiencing are making it to the pages of this forum for sure.

My decision to wait an see how this vehicle performs seems to have been prudent even though the price keeps going up. I do not want to buy a car still going thru it’s debugging trials .......despite many owners saying they have had very, very few problems....this small group on the forum is a very small subset of owners .

All of that said I have decided to wait further for....the faster level chargers become more available, the production straightens out recurring electrical and mechanical problems, and the recession humbles dealers from the excessive , over list price costs they want from a car not ready for prime time. IMO. It’s a shame because have wanted to buy this car for a year now and complexity of allocations, extended delivery time with undefined arrival , poor knowledge support with very few service technicians all combine to have me hesitant to pull the trigger.

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
Mine is. 4s ct have owned 3 months so far I’ve had
creaking drivers seat
and sound failure both was resolved by Sheffield opc both were not massive issue but it’s to date brilliant , and have another coming end of year

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Been watching this forum for a few months as I have a Panamera now and want the Taycan badly. I have had many concerns about this vehicles quality....vigilant especially because it is an all new model. Thanks for your comments and honesty. I think many dealers do not get that 100-150k + automobiles need to be reliable , not gm or Ford quality. And no not perfect but not having many similar issues that require constant trips to dealer for resolution.

The taycan forum has a small overall number of members compare to total owners of the Taycan so probably not all of the problems owners are experiencing are making it to the pages of this forum for sure.

My decision to wait an see how this vehicle performs seems to have been prudent even though the price keeps going up. I do not want to buy a car still going thru it’s debugging trials .......despite many owners saying they have had very, very few problems....this small group on the forum is a very small subset of owners .

All of that said I have decided to wait further for....the faster level chargers become more available, the production straightens out recurring electrical and mechanical problems, and the recession humbles dealers from the excessive , over list price costs they want from a car not ready for prime time. IMO. It’s a shame because have wanted to buy this car for a year now and complexity of allocations, extended delivery time with undefined arrival , poor knowledge support with very few service technicians all combine to have me hesitant to pull the trigger.
Seems quite the right decision for you. I have had many EVs and hybrids, and they all continue to have an assortment of niggling (and sometimes major) challenges. Companies have been making ICE vehicles for many decades, and it will be quite a while before they are on the same footing. I have always accepted this as part of the experience, but I totally understand that not everyone has the willingness to do this. It seems to me that it's good self-awareness on the part of people who choose to avoid the hassle.

Porchfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Panamera4, 2021AMG GLE 53
Country flag
My issue is still dealer over charging over list price. Significantly 10 k between fees and required add ons. I can wait and will but having driven three models ........I love the car compared to all the other options.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...if a dealer sold me a car that I needed serviced for even 3 unrelated issues in the first month of ownership and had anything but an apologetic tone with me...
I had all the updates and recalls made this week. To my surprise I could not find a single Taycan in the large dealership showroom. But I see more and more on the road. I would say the same thing, why bother with a trouble customer, if I cannot get enough product to sell...

I mean having the car in service is annoying, but why not driving it for another 6 months, have the issues fixed for free and then sell it for what you paid for?
Sponsored