Review my Taycan Turbo build please

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
And regarding the head up display, a lot of members here on the forum don't like the way it looks with the redesigned dashboard. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Since you've had it, you probably know what I mean about the value of HUD. It's great for just seeing your speed alone. I don't like having to glance down at the dash display to see my speed.

Another thing - is soft close doors an option? I thought that was going to be offered in 2021. I really miss having that. Many times I've neglected to shut the door all the way after putting groceries in the car, or something, and I have to get out and walk around to shut the door after the car warns me when I start it up.

HUD; had it for the last 14 years in my BMW's. Really liked it. If it's turned off you immediately notice it, but this new high resolution display with all the necessay info and gagdets got me thinking.
- High res screen in front of you, with speed indication, powerindicator, map, etc etc
- Screen on the right side with info
- Screen beneath with info.
- Passenger screen with.... yes more info

Isn't the HUD overkill, or maybe distracting?

Soft Close should be a must on this car, but not available.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Powercharge port doors

owning an EV means you are plugging and unplugging it daily - it's a great feature when unplugging the car in the morning that you just unplug and walk away - the power charge port door will automatically close

if you have the manual doors you have to manually push the door closed - it's minor, but one of life's little pleasures to just unplug and walk away…

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Here's what you get with the LED Matrix headlights, good stuff:

Includes:
  • Elements in Glacier Blue: Daytime running light trims

• Dynamic Cornering Light: Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.

• Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control: Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.

• Sport Mode: Activated in Sport mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.

• High Beam Assistant: When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but on Taycan Turbo version the LED-Matrix Design Headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) come as standard, which should include all of the above (but Glacier Iceblue which only is visually differentiated trims in 3D track graphic).

In the Norwegian Porsche site, it states that the extra glacier light option has the same form and function as the LED main headlights with matrix beam including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). However, these thing can vary from country to country. On my Turbo S it’s all included, and I did not check off the glacier look.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Ugh, seems like a no-brainer for $580. Would I do in Glacier Blue or Black? Black seems to be better for my build, right?
Yes black, or just skip that option. The default PDLS+ option on the turbo is already quite black in my opinion.

I would also consider these options:

SportDesign Side Skirts
- gives the car a more sportier look

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- very nice function and needed if you later on wish to add some functions via FoD.

Rear 2+1 Seats
- more practical

Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System
- amazing sound. A must have if you like to listen to music in your car.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Correct me if I’m wrong, but on Taycan Turbo version the LED-Matrix Design Headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) come as standard, which should include all of the above (but Glacier Iceblue which only is visually differentiated trims in 3D track graphic).

In the Norwegian Porsche site, it states that the extra glacier light option has the same form and function as the LED main headlights with matrix beam including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). However, these thing can vary from country to country. On my Turbo S it’s all included, and I did not check off the glacier look.
Good catch, I think you're right.

ALindsay

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne e hybrid 2020, Taycan 4s due Nov 2020
Country flag
Good feedback, thank you. Heated steering wheel I added (almost missed it the first time). Power mirrors I surprisingly never used in my Panamera (I disabled that feature, but worth a thought). I had a heads-up display on a previous car (Audi S6), worth a thought as well - I think it was useful.

" The power charge port doors are nice to have too. It gives you the minor convenience of not having to shut the door when you unplug from your charger."

I'm new to all of this - can you walk me through this? Without it, why do I have to shut the door to unplug?
Good feedback, thank you. Heated steering wheel I added (almost missed it the first time). Power mirrors I surprisingly never used in my Panamera (I disabled that feature, but worth a thought). I had a heads-up display on a previous car (Audi S6), worth a thought as well - I think it was useful.

" The power charge port doors are nice to have too. It gives you the minor convenience of not having to shut the door when you unplug from your charger."

I'm new to all of this - can you walk me through this? Without it, why do I have to shut the door to unplug?
hello there,
we pondered long and hard on the heads up, since we have it on our Cayenne, we didn’t opt for it on the Taycan and we’re glad we didn’t, simply not needed, the Taycan display is so ’high’ and clear in your vision that a hud would be superfluous and spoil the aesthetics of the curved screen

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
I'm on the cusp of converting my 911 C4S allocation to a Turbo. Wound up getting a great price (btw, if anyone is still looking for one, PM me, I work with many porsche dealerships and connect you with someone for best pricing).

I'm a lot more familiar with the 911 options then Taycan, but if I place the Taycan Turbo order, it locks in a few days, so if someone can help spot check it to see if I missed anything obvious (ie: I almost missed the heated steering wheel). Thank you!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMX6I4B4
I don't think the HUD provides enough information to bother with. The speed is so clearly indicated right in front of you and there's not much else that I think is necessary up on the glass, but if you're used to this feature you may want it.

That third seat in back comes in really handy if you're ever piling a few folks into the car and it doesn't really get rid of anything you need. I like having it.

We also like the passenger screen. It's super convenient on a trip for a nav or music set up by the passenger. We've used it often.

Lane change warning is a must. That rear view mirror is small and those lights telling you someone's in your blindspot really help. Maybe you get those anyway, but if not, order that feature.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks guys. Reviewing the final details - just noticed the callipers are white and I think it's +$900 to make them black. I can't find any pictures of anyone with these wheels having it in white, how bad is it to leave them in white you guys think?

Porsche Taycan Review my Taycan Turbo build please iris (10)

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I disagree about the dashboard being good enough that you don’t need the HUD. But to each his own!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks guys. Reviewing the final details - just noticed the callipers are white and I think it's +$900 to make them black. I can't find any pictures of anyone with these wheels having it in white, how bad is it to leave them in white you guys think?
For comparison, here's a black caliper with the Porsche logo in matching Mamba Green. This is the smaller brake from the 4S, with a 20" wheel on the front and 21" on the rear
Porsche Taycan Review my Taycan Turbo build please 1E6A4752-C3FB-415D-B27A-4E2F85FBF7B1_1_201_a
Porsche Taycan Review my Taycan Turbo build please 855492F3-A7E6-421E-82DE-923204C33B74

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Like so many things, it’s all a matter of preference. You find quite a lot of polarised arguments, and both sides have merit.

Whatever the aesthetic pros and cons of the HUD, and wonder of the instrument cluster, I would still opt for the HUD as it removes the need to take your eyes off the road. For me, that’s the only justification I need.

When I went through the option selection process, there was a lot of excellent advice and opinion on all sides. A fair amount of opinion that certain options were not worth it. I respect and value the opinion, insight and value judgements of those who ultimately ended up advising differently from me, and who nearly swayed me from certain “unnecessary” options, but I have no regrets after accepting sunk costs on taking almost all the options available despite opinion to the contrary.

Things like PDCC seemed largely dismissed by many when I was choosing. But I took it anyway... I can’t say what the difference is without, because I have never tried. But boy do I love how it handles on corners. Now the dust has settled, there seem to be more advocates for PDCC than when I was choosing... I came so close to missing out on something fantastic. All the advice not to get it was rooted in sound logic... but I’m so happy I got it.

Even things like the passenger display, which is an utter disappointment, especially with CarPlay, I would more than likely take again as it still has utility for the passenger and adds to the look of the car.

i guess those things that people are on the fence on and are available as FOD can be sucked and seen after the event.

I have yet to find any option that I purchased that I now think “meh, could probably have done without and saved a few k”.

I’m even buying the boot and frunk liners and ski bag now...

Probably the only option I can’t quantify benefit for its PTV+ as it’s hard to “experience”, but I suspect that it’s there helping me be a bit more stable on the road, possibly even helpful when road conditions get a bit more tricky.

The financial value/benefit matrix is what leads most of the advice. And I can’t really fault any of it.

But if you want the best experience from your car, take all the driving assistance options.

i didn’t bother with enhanced brakes, I understand that most braking is regen anyway. I had to make some cost/benefit compromises!

I skipped the interior lighting option as a cost saving, but took pretty much everything else that wasn’t to do with aesthetics.

Had money been no issue, I would have got the interior lights and a few other bits that aren’t directly beneficial to the driver. And the smarter thing to do would have been to buy the Turbo or Turbo S, but that was way out of my budget, even though I would have likely saved more in the long run.

I think the Night Vision thermal camera is cool, and am happy to have it, but you can live without it, unless you live in perpetual fear of pedestrians or wild animals leaping in front of you.

Matrix headlights are quite remarkable.

There are many opposing views on the electric charge ports... Efficiency vs Pleasure I guess ... I never cease to enjoy the contented feeling that all the ports in this car have a cheerful and sunny disposition. It is their pleasure to open for you, and their satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done. That I unplug and turn away only to notice a few moments later that the ports are closed continues to instil joy and warm my heart.

Spend the money you can afford to lose, enjoy the best the car has to offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for all the input guys! After going back and forth on the wheels for a bit, I put it back to 20" Sport Aero Wheels. I think I like the 21" Mission E Design Wheels more, but only when painted in green, and then I have to add $900 for the black calipers, etc.. so not sure if it's all worth it (and that's the easiest thing to upgrade in the future). Stripping that out, I technically have ~$5-6k left in the budget. What would you guys recommend if it was your build?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMP9KUE3

Choices:

1) Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System ($6k) -> I listen to music in the car all of the time. I can't say I'm an audiophile though, not sure if I would appriciate the upgrade over Bose. I have never tried Burmester though. We have the upgraded audio in my wife's GLS, but it didn't sound any better then my previous Panamera Bose.

2) Splurge on the Olea interior and maybe some accents ($2.5k+) -> I think I'd stick to the same black though (brown isn't bad but there is too much of it, and the beige seems too light to me).

3) PCCB ($5.5k) -> I'm not going to track the car and the PSCB that already comes with the Turbo seem good enough. Not sure if this option is worth it for me?

4) Wheels ($6k)-> Toss logic to the wayside and pay $6k for the 21" Mission E + Painted Green + Black Calipers, ie: https://s4.paultan.org/image/2019/11/2020-Porsche-Taycan-Exclusive-1.jpg

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
White calipters on sportscar with mamba green paint on the exterior and wheels, brakes the image a bit (on a white Taycan though, the white calipters are stunning).

I know some owners had their calipters painted aftermarket, for around 1/3 of the price Porsche claim to change the color from factory. Just a tip to save a few dollars, as the brakes on turbo is great already and more than plenty.
Sponsored

Last edited: