Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Long story short, it was a piece of cake.

We left Marin after charging to 100% and drove 273 miles to Lost Hills off of I-5 to charge with about 34 miles of range on my Taycan. I drove mostly in Range Mode, setting the cruise control at 79 MPH. Once at Lost Hills, we found a 350kW charger and plugged it in. Plug and Charge worked perfectly, after a few anxious moments as the EA charger went through its rather lengthy authentication process. We had lunch at a crappy Taco Bell as that was the best choice available and hit the road again after the car was charged to 97% after just over 35 minutes. We then drove all the way to Marina Del Rey and our hotel and arrived with 124 miles left in the tank. The hotel had EV charging available so that night I had the valet charge the car up to 85% for the duration of our stay.

The next day it was off to the Porsche Experience Center LA in Carson for a couple of hours of intense instruction on the Taycan 4S. It was a serious blast! My instructor, Eric took me through a phalanx of exercises and courses in one of their Taycans all of which were designed to emphasize the handling and performance characteristics of the Taycan. There was a mini Nürburgring with tight corners, wild-ass chicanes, and straightaways. Eric was in a lead car and instructed me via walkie-talkie about when to brake and accelerate, most of which I kind of already knew. What I didn't know was how fast I could go around the course as he encouraged me to be more aggressive in order to truly experience what the Taycan is capable of. The Taycan has breathtaking handling and adheres to the tarmac like it's on rails, and I never came close to losing the car and was flying through the turns at speeds I would never have thought possible.

Eric also had me do a few launches paired with a few 100% braking stops. I was amazed at how short the stops were at high speeds.

My biggest challenge was the simulated black ice scenario. That was tough. Basically, you're told to drive straight at 25-30 MPH towards a very slick, wet surface. There is a hydraulic kick plate buried under the tarmac that's activated after the front wheel passes a sensor that throws the car into an unexpected, uncontrolled spin. Your instructions are to focus on the Porsche logo on the building ahead counter-steer and bring the car straight after the rear end kicks out. I did the exercise 5 times and could only succeed once in bringing the car straight and to a controlled, safe stop. The rest I completely spun 360s. Eric kept telling me to be more aggressive with the steering input, really whip it around to lock and back again. It was hard, and I need way more practice experiencing that, so it's a good thing I'm a Californian!

Finally, we closed with another couple of launches, propelling the car to about 110MPH coupled a 35º 180 banked turn. I hit the turn at about 60 MPH and the car again glided through like it was glued to the road.

We drove back on Sunday. The only hiccup was I told the valet to charge the car before we checked out and the knucklehead failed to do that, so we drove to the Westfield Mall in Century City where the PIRM indicated there was an EA charger. After driving around the massive parking structure for about 10 minutes, we found the charger, plugged it in, and walked around the mall for about 40 minutes. We returned to the car with 97% charge and an indicated range of 273 miles, and hit the road. We encountered incredibly slow traffic as we left the San Fernando Valley for about 30 minutes until we passed Valencia, then it was smooth sailing, though with more traffic on i-5 than usual the entire way. The PIRM indicated that we stop at the EA charger in Panoche and we did 243 miles later with 47 miles of available range. There was only one 350 kW charger there and it was being used by a Mustang Mach-E, so we plugged into one of the 150 kW chargers, waited for the authentication to complete, and charging began. 30 minutes later we were on the road with 92% charge and made it home with 110 miles of range available.

All told it took about 6 and hours to LA and just over 7 hours home because of traffic. The Taycan is a terrific car for road trips, superbly responsive and relaxing to drive. I wasn't the least bit fatigued and got more than a few thumbs up on the trip. I am absolutely in love with this car!

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center 64936957857__689F3842-3558-4EBB-AD86-69AA6D059A01.fullsizerender

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center IMG_0288

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center IMG_0290

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center F439C59C-1AB3-4E69-9C6F-6B80FAB73375

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Sounds like a wonderful experience!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

We left Marin after charging to 100% and drove 273 miles to Lost Hills off of I-5 to charge with about 34 miles of range on my Taycan. I drove mostly in Range Mode, setting the cruise control at 79 MPH. Once at Lost Hills, we found a 350kW charger and plugged it in. Plug and Charge worked perfectly, after a few anxious moments as the EA charger went through its rather lengthy authentication process. We had lunch at a crappy Taco Bell as that was the best choice available and hit the road again after the car was charged to 97% after just over 35 minutes. We then drove all the way to Marina Del Rey and our hotel and arrived with 124 miles left in the tank. The hotel had EV charging available so that night I had the valet charge the car up to 85% for the duration of our stay.

The next day it was off to the Porsche Experience Center LA in Carson for a couple of hours of intense instruction on the Taycan 4S. It was a serious blast! My instructor, Eric took me through a phalanx of exercises and courses in one of their Taycans all of which were designed to emphasize the handling and performance characteristics of the Taycan. There was a mini Nürburgring with tight corners, wild-ass chicanes, and straightaways. Eric was in a lead car and instructed me via walkie-talkie about when to brake and accelerate, most of which I kind of already knew. What I didn't know was how fast I could go around the course as he encouraged me to be more aggressive in order to truly experience what the Taycan is capable of. The Taycan has breathtaking handling and adheres to the tarmac like it's on rails, and I never came close to losing the car and was flying through the turns at speeds I would never have thought possible.

Eric also had me do a few launches paired with a few 100% braking stops. I was amazed at how short the stops were at high speeds.

My biggest challenge was the simulated black ice scenario. That was tough. Basically, you're told to drive straight at 25-30 MPH towards a very slick, wet surface. There is a hydraulic kick plate buried under the tarmac that's activated after the front wheel passes a sensor that throws the car into an unexpected, uncontrolled spin. Your instructions are to focus on the Porsche logo on the building ahead counter-steer and bring the car straight after the rear end kicks out. I did the exercise 5 times and could only succeed once in bringing the car straight and to a controlled, safe stop. The rest I completely spun 360s. Eric kept telling me to be more aggressive with the steering input, really whip it around to lock and back again. It was hard, and I need way more practice experiencing that, so it's a good thing I'm a Californian!

Finally, we closed with another couple of launches, propelling the car to about 110MPH coupled a 35º 180 banked turn. I hit the turn at about 60 MPH and the car again glided through like it was glued to the road.

We drove back on Sunday. The only hiccup was I told the valet to charge the car before we checked out and the knucklehead failed to do that, so we drove to the Westfield Mall in Century City where the PIRM indicated there was an EA charger. After driving around the massive parking structure for about 10 minutes, we found the charger, plugged it in, and walked around the mall for about 40 minutes. We returned to the car with 97% charge and an indicated range of 273 miles, and hit the road. We encountered incredibly slow traffic as we left the San Fernando Valley for about 30 minutes until we passed Valencia, then it was smooth sailing, though with more traffic on i-5 than usual the entire way. The PIRM indicated that we stop at the EA charger in Panoche and we did 243 miles later with 47 miles of available range. There was only one 350 kW charger there and it was being used by a Mustang Mach-E, so we plugged into one of the 150 kW chargers, waited for the authentication to complete, and charging began. 30 minutes later we were on the road with 92% charge and made it home with 110 miles of range available.

All told it took about 6 and hours to LA and just over 7 hours home because of traffic. The Taycan is a terrific car for road trips, superbly responsive and relaxing to drive. I wasn't the least bit fatigued and got more than a few thumbs up on the trip. I am absolutely in love with this car!

64936957857__689F3842-3558-4EBB-AD86-69AA6D059A01.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

F439C59C-1AB3-4E69-9C6F-6B80FAB73375.jpeg
Were you charging at Panoche Shell in Firebaugh yesterday around 3pm? I pulled up and saw a Cherry Red 4S charging, the first I've seen in the wild. I waited around a bit to see if the owner would come back to the vehicle but they were nowhere to be found. Unfortunately I only charged for 15 min or so, so I left before the owner came back.

What an awesome coincidence if it was you, though!

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center IMG_4319

Edit: Just read your full post, looks like it was you! :fist bump: Also, I'll be posting my own trip report soon. I went from LA to the bay area for the weekend and then drove back yesterday.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Were you charging at Panoche Shell in Firebaugh yesterday around 3pm? I pulled up and saw a Cherry Red 4S charging, the first I've seen in the wild. I waited around a bit to see if the owner would come back to the vehicle but they were nowhere to be found. Unfortunately I only charged for 15 min or so, so I left before the owner came back.

What an awesome coincidence if it was you, though!

IMG_4319.jpg

Edit: Just read your full post, looks like it was you! :fist bump:
Yep, that was me. I saw your car from a distance as my wife and I went into one of the shops to get some fruit. We came out and you were gone. I was hoping to chat with you.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yep, that was me. I saw your car from a distance as my wife and I went into one of the shops to get some fruit. We came out and you were gone. I was hoping to chat with you.
Dang, what a missed connection. I would have loved to chat about your PEC LA experience, since I live like 20 minutes from it. I feel like I have to do it after reading your post.

We left the bay area with 100% charge and this was our first stop heading south, according to ABRP. Since I wasn't sure what kind of consumption I could get, I configured ABRP to assume 330 Wh/mi to be safe. Due to the awesome efficiency of the Taycan, I ended up arriving at that charger with much more battery than the planner thought I would. In fact, I believe it wanted me to charge up to 70% before leaving, but I arrived with 70%, so technically I didn't even need to stop at all. We just did a quick bathroom break and stretched our legs before heading back out.

Porsche Taycan Road Trip from SF to LA and the Porsche Experience Center IMG_4318

I was really impressed with the 263 Wh/mi consumption for the first leg of this trip!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
PECLA is an awesome experience - I highly recommend it - my wife and I loved picking up her Cayenne there in April.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

congrats on your 1st EV road trip - it's not the same as gas car but I personally don't find them that bad - sounds like things went great - I'm sooo happy and congratulations!!!

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dang, what a missed connection. I would have loved to chat about your PEC LA experience, since I live like 20 minutes from it. I feel like I have to do it after reading your post.

We left the bay area with 100% charge and this was our first stop heading south, according to ABRP. Since I wasn't sure what kind of consumption I could get, I configured ABRP to assume 330 Wh/mi to be safe. Due to the awesome efficiency of the Taycan, I ended up arriving at that charger with much more battery than the planner thought I would. In fact, I believe it wanted me to charge up to 70% before leaving, but I arrived with 70%, so technically I didn't even need to stop at all. We just did a quick bathroom break and stretched our legs before heading back out.

IMG_4318.jpg

I was really impressed with the 263 Wh/mi consumption for the first leg of this trip!
You definitely have to take advantage of the PECLA. It's $500 well spent and you'll learn a ton about the car.

As for charging, I just relied upon the PIRM and it worked like a charm. The ABRP like you said, conservatively indicated more stops, but the efficiency of the Taycan encouraged me to go for it and trust the PIRM.

Hopefully, we'll meet again one another road trip. Look me up if you're ever in the Bay Area.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
congrats on your 1st EV road trip - it's not the same as gas car but I personally don't find them that bad - sounds like things went great - I'm sooo happy and congratulations!!!
Actually, I was impressed on how much the trip was like in an ICE. I stopped like I would usually stop when I would gas up and have lunch. The Taycan allowed me to charge and eat at the same time which resulted in the same length of pit stop. It was very cool!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
people stress too much on the fast charging stop - like OMG it's the end of the world - it's really not

and 2! just 2 fast charging stops a day (1 hour) = 750+ miles of driving a day!!!!

and as you learned one stop = 500+ miles with EV charging at the hotel making really honestly no big deal.

at 70 mph - 2 fast charging stops a day at 770 miles = 11 hours of driving seat time!!!! 11 hours!!!

charge at home 345 days a year
1 or 2 stops a day for 15 days a year - really not that bad people.

Last edited:

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
people stress too much on the fast charging stop - like OMG it's the end of the world - it's really not

and 2! just 2 fast charging stops a day (1 hour) = 750+ miles of driving a day!!!!

and as you leaned one stop = 500+ miles with EV charging at the hotel making really honestly no big deal.

at 70 mph - 2 fast charging stops a day at 770 miles = 11 hours of driving seat time!!!! 11 hours!!!

Exactly. People talk about the range anxiety and I have to remind them - for most people, mostly you save time with an EV. No lining up at Costco or going to a gas station to fill up. Plug in at home or the mall and waste zero time. How much time does that save you per year? Maybe 10 mins per week or 8-9 hours?

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

Wow that sounds like an amazing trip! Which hotel did you stay in with the charging available, if you don’t mind me asking?

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow that sounds like an amazing trip! Which hotel did you stay in with the charging available, if you don’t mind me asking?
We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey. They had chargers on-site, just make sure the valets charge your car when you ask them to. Them failing to charge up my car as I asked really annoyed me. Maybe I didn't tip the guy enough to do his job.

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
PECLA is an awesome experience - I highly recommend it - my wife and I loved picking up her Cayenne there in April.
Dave: any update on the Cayenne? You guys just going to wait until Porsche puts out a fix?

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

and as you leaned one stop = 500+ miles with EV charging at the hotel making really honestly no big deal.

To be honest, I did have anxiety, due mostly to horror stories I've read in this forum, and I was nervous about the EA chargers, the handshake between the car and EA, and faults with either the car or EA. Now, having experienced a successful road trip with absolutely no problems whatsoever, was I lucky, or are the issues documented in this forum either over-hyped and amplified and limited to problems with a small number of Taycans and are substantially resolved? I sincerely hope it's the latter.
Sponsored

Last edited: