Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Doing a trip from Aberdeen to Southampton on the 10th September. Any good charging tips on the M6 etc? Planing to IONITY Charge at Gretna & Blackburn... Anyone checked out those chargers?
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I will be doing a similar trip a month later. I will be interested to see how you get on

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
If you come down past Leeds the Skelton Lake services Ionity chargers are Free to use at present.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You could try the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) App which is free to download? This is what it came up with for your journey. I would treat the battery percentages with a pinch of salt. There is also PlugShare and ZapMap which are fairly thorough with charger listings.

There is a brand new Instavolt site on the M40 at Banbury with 8 125 kW stations.
Porsche Taycan Road Trip to Southampton D68C6D68-7233-41F9-AE6F-97EF3BE3047C

allan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-Tron
Country flag
You could try the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) App which is free to download? This is what it came up with for your journey. I would treat the battery percentages with a pinch of salt. There is also PlugShare and ZapMap which are fairly thorough with charger listings.

There is a brand new Instavolt site on the M40 at Banbury with 8 125 kW stations.
D68C6D68-7233-41F9-AE6F-97EF3BE3047C.png
I found the EON chargers to be very useful and fast (150kw I think) at Preston and Birmingham.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I found the EON chargers to be very useful and fast (150kw I think) at Preston and Birmingham.
I think the E.ON one in Birmingham is in the city centre, so possibly a faff to get to?

I reckon the route is:

Perth (Ionity) --> Gretna (Ionity) --> Blackburn (Ionity) --> Banbury (Instavolt)

allan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-Tron
Country flag
I think the E.ON one in Birmingham is in the city centre, so possibly a faff to get to?

I reckon the route is:

Perth (Ionity) --> Gretna (Ionity) --> Blackburn (Ionity) --> Banbury (Instavolt)
It's very easy if you are on the M6 (not the toll). Your route is a good shout.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Think I might miss Perth and push to Gretna. ABRP recons I can do it!

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Know it's a bit too soon for you, but had word from my dealer that the Bolton dealership (just off the A666 motorway) is having a 270KW charger installed next month.

Only drawback is that it's more than likely only going to be operational during Porsche opening hours due to planning permission!

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
Did Southampton to Hull and back this weekend. Hull have a lovely new dealership that appears to have 300kw chargers. Only issue is they are closed on Sunday and they lock then area off so I could not use it before I headed home. Had to travel back without a full charge.

Used Milton heights near Oxford at the bp station instead of doing the through run that I planned. Worked well there at 150kw and it had a Costa and McDonald's.

putty_thing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e39 M5
Country flag

D68C6D68-7233-41F9-AE6F-97EF3BE3047C.png
Am I reading this right? Between the start and stop 1, 91 miles were covered for approx 50% charge. That's then topped up to 84% for £24.

If I simplify it and call it 90 miles for £24, that's 26p per mile which is about 20% more expensive than a really uneconomical petrol car would get (I calculated 24MPG for a BMW M5, 17.23 litres of unleaded @ 113.68p/litre = 21p per mile).

Good that the journey looks fairly uncomplicated and there are an abundance of charging options, and I knew charging away from home was more expensive, but didn't think it would be that much more than petrol.

edit: Maybe the route planner is just a bit pessimistic about range, I just Googled it and at a tested 2.96/kwh looks like 50% charge should be more like 123 miles than 90. That would bring the cost more in line.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Am I reading this right? Between the start and stop 1, 91 miles were covered for approx 50% charge. That's then topped up to 84% for £24.

If I simplify it and call it 90 miles for £24, that's 26p per mile which is about 20% more expensive than a really uneconomical petrol car would get (I calculated 24MPG for a BMW M5, 17.23 litres of unleaded @ 113.68p/litre = 21p per mile).

Good that the journey looks fairly uncomplicated and there are an abundance of charging options, and I knew charging away from home was more expensive, but didn't think it would be that much more than petrol.
It is using the standard Ionity tariff of 69p/kWh, however using your Porsche card / app it actually only costs 31p/kWh (equates to 12p per mile on your calc)

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I did Exeter to Newcastle the day I collected my Turbo and that was an experience
Sponsored