Rodders

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST GTS, R8 V10, TVR Griffith, Range Rover
Country flag
I did Exeter to Newcastle the day I collected my Turbo and that was an experience
I did Oxford to Cornwall the week I got my turbo in August. Took me four goes to find a charger that worked. And then range mode wanted me to do 50 all the way, being overtaken by caravans. Not quite what I signed up for but every day’s a school day. Looking forward to a super fast charge at Collumpton next trip. I’ve become an EV anorak!
Sponsored

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I did Oxford to Cornwall the week I got my turbo in August. Took me four goes to find a charger that worked. And then range mode wanted me to do 50 all the way, being overtaken by caravans. Not quite what I signed up for but every day’s a school day. Looking forward to a super fast charge at Collumpton next trip. I’ve become an EV anorak!
i know what you mean, i stopped at the first charger which was shown as a 50kw charger after 10 mins i thought something wasn't correct and realised i was using the 3kw meant for a nissan!!!!

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
So we left Aberdeen yesterday, stopping at Perth Ionity, so I could do a customer call at Starbucks, no drama got a great charge up to 100% then onward to Gretna Ionity, the chargers here are at the petrol station and you have to walk 3 minutes to get food etc at the services part of the development, no big deal but if it was raining you’d get wet! Make sure you carry and umbrella! Next stop was Blackburn. The charger failed three times and I called up Ionity, the guy was very quick and rebooted, car started charging so we headed inside to the services bit. Checked my app and car had paused charging. Went back out and moved car to another charger all okay, but wasted about 30 minutes. Because I was low on charge we had to do an unexpected motorway 50KW charge. Pulled into two different service stations, first was busy, 2nd were not working!! With 19% and 60 miles remaining I stayed a little panic, ended up at a Lidl 50KW to get some juice, decided to head to Banbury 125KW chargers by Instavolt. Great experience there at 35p per KW. Easy tap your credit card plug in experience. The way all chargers should be. Arrived at hotel at 1215 at night! Delayed about 3 hours because of the charging issues. I’m sure the return journey will be better. All in all a great learning experience. Now I know that electrocity chargers are crap and I’ll be staying clear of them from now on in. IONITY guy said I have free charging for a year with Porsche! I did not realise that.

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
Interesting on the free charge and nice to see you made it. Agree on the instavolt, they should all be like that.

Shame the boat show has been cancelled mental of the council to pull it last minute.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting on the free charge and nice to see you made it. Agree on the instavolt, they should all be like that.

Shame the boat show has been cancelled mental of the council to pull it last minute.
I know! But the guys at princes & sunseeker have been great. Princess have moved all the boats to Swanwick, so invited us there for lunch. And Sunseeker have organised a factory tour at Poole and have the boat we’re looking at in the water. Today could be fun, might end up an expensive day out!

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Instavolt are brilliant. The 125Kw is definitely the sweet spot for DC road trip charging. Hope to see more of these pop up.

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
Will be every expensive if you come home home with a sunseeker!

I am just down the road from swanick so I may see another taycan on the road for the first time then. There is a 50kw charger that works at the miller and carter if you need any power.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will be charging at princess as JB said there’s a 7kw round the back. Probably top off at miller and carter just so the soc is high. First road trip and feeling a bit out of it not knowing where to go etc. Sure it will all work out or I’ll trade it in against a V or Pred!

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
Just be aware, Miller and Carter are table booking only, so you can't just get a drink whilst you wait. Total pain they have shut the pub side of things. There is a big Tesco over the road if you are going to be there for more than 20 Min. Tesco also has free 7kw chargers.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
IONITY guy said I have free charging for a year with Porsche! I did not realise that.
I'm not sure anyone else does either, including the dealers!
And you've used this yourself and can confirm it's free?

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Good experience and advice on the charging.

As i started reading the thread i was thinking how brave are you? You could have tried just M6 Gretna and M40 Banbury - but i think you'd have been sweating even more! :CWL:

The M6 seems a nightmare. The Blackburn IONITY is completely out of the way, and there really needs to be something around Manchester orStoke to make it comfortably do-able.

Given the good experience at Banbury (useful for me to know as i'm in north Bucks - so between the M1 Milton Keynes IONITY, the M40 Banbury, and the Shell in Chipping Norton), i think the best way to traverse north/south currently must be IONITY Gretna M6 350Kw, top-up at E.ON Preston M6 150KW, and then InstaVolt Banbury M40 125Kw or Milton Keynes M1 350Kw depending on destination.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Gogs, thanks for posting regarding your trip, very useful for my future planning for next month. Very interesting that Ionity is free for a year. That has never been mentioned before

Rodders

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST GTS, R8 V10, TVR Griffith, Range Rover
Country flag
Good experience and advice on the charging.

As i started reading the thread i was thinking how brave are you? You could have tried just M6 Gretna and M40 Banbury - but i think you'd have been sweating even more! :CWL:

The M6 seems a nightmare. The Blackburn IONITY is completely out of the way, and there really needs to be something around Manchester orStoke to make it comfortably do-able.

Given the good experience at Banbury (useful for me to know as i'm in north Bucks - so between the M1 Milton Keynes IONITY, the M40 Banbury, and the Shell in Chipping Norton), i think the best way to traverse north/south currently must be IONITY Gretna M6 350Kw, top-up at E.ON Preston M6 150KW, and then InstaVolt Banbury M40 125Kw or Milton Keynes M1 350Kw depending on destination.
It seems everyone's turned into an EV anorak! Agree that the Ecotricity ones are crap but they seem to have got in early and dominate the motorway service stations. Lovely places to spend 40 mins or so.
Gogs, thanks for posting regarding your trip, very useful for my future planning for next month. Very interesting that Ionity is free for a year. That has never been mentioned before
I thought we got a discounted rate. I received the card last week but, stupidly, binned the letter. I’m sure it mentioned a discounted rate with Ionity.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
It seems everyone's turned into an EV anorak! Agree that the Ecotricity ones are crap but they seem to have got in early and dominate the motorway service stations. Lovely places to spend 40 mins or so.

I thought we got a discounted rate. I received the card last week but, stupidly, binned the letter. I’m sure it mentioned a discounted rate with Ionity.
Yes, the letters says half price for three years. So it 32p per kw. But it’s the first regarding it being free...
Sponsored