Roof Box and reduction of range

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Has anybody done some testing on the range with and without a roof box installed.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnloTaycan2022

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range. Distance with and without a roif box

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
These videos might give you an indication of what kind of percentage drop you could expect. Of course car is different as is the box, so your results will vary.

OP
OP
AnloTaycan2022

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to avoid anyone to have to listen to the whole thing, the conclusion is 13% loss of range. So if we assume in general 15% in average, it is probably a safe assomption. So a roof box in the winter can be something to be cocerned about as we already lose probably 20 to 30% of range already plus another 15%: It is almost half of the whole baterry range being lost.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
to avoid anyone to have to listen to the whole thing, the conclusion is 13% loss of range. So if we assume in general 15% in average, it is probably a safe assomption. So a roof box in the winter can be something to be cocerned about as we already lose probably 20 to 30% of range already plus another 15%: It is almost half of the whole baterry range being lost.
I think you are being conservative in your range loss assumptions. You will want to remember that a Taycan is no where near as efficient as a Model 3.

I have driven quite extensively with a bike on top of my Taycan in both summer and winter and saw 10% to 15% range loss in the summer and more than 20% range loss in the winter. Put a box on top of a Taycan I bet you will take a 40% loss in range if you are doing highway speeds, and probably more in the winter.

here are details on range impact with just a bike on top of a Taycan:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-cold-temps-efficiency-info.3152/#post-43993

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I think someone posted on here that just leaving the roof bars on dropped the range by 10%. A box will knock it down very heavily, especially in winter. It will also be very speed dependent

OP
OP
AnloTaycan2022

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think we are all saying the same. Assuming a loss between 20 to 30% due to winter and a loss of at least 15% to 20% for a roof box, we lose up to 50% of the battery. So for a normal range of 400km you end up leaving home with a range of 200km if you are at 100% charge really. If you only charged at 80% you leave home with no more than 160km which is 100 miles. If you want to keep 20% at the arrival to your fast dc charger, it means you need to charge every 80 miles (98km) ……

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And if you are going uphill and there is a headwind, you won't get to the end of your driveway.

Reductio ad absurdum

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
My Panamera Sport Turismo with the roof box is a ~25% hit @ 80mph and dramatically worsens at speeds above that. I’d anticipate at least the same for a Taycan or any EV.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
We’re on holiday in Austria with roof box. This is the journey here from Switzerland with full roof box at highway speeds. It’s the new aero Roofbox. Only 10-15% down on normal consumption

Porsche Taycan Roof Box and reduction of range D31DBD13-347D-4CEE-9B22-161C42A18230

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
It must be a very well designed roof box. I wonder if they quote the drag factor?
Sponsored