Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
So I've actually already placed an order for a Cross Turismo, but since it hasn't been locked down for production yet, I'm still sitting here undecided about really just one final point: the roof rails.

The functional aspect of it spontaneously feels like a complete toss up since I've never ever felt the need to mount anything on the roof (except maybe bicycles, but that is solved with the rear mount). Maybe I have just never been blessed by the wonders of a roof box (please educate me then!), but to me it seems like it all comes down the aesthetic aspect of it; does it make the car look better?

So does it? I honestly can't decide myself, especially for a car I've never actually seen in real life. At first I thought they were just pointless, but then I stumble upon photos like this (even the same colour that I went with) where the car just looks amazing. Or are there some practical aspects of it that I just haven't though about, that would make it a good idea to opt for by itself?

I would love to hear some feedback and discussion about this!
Sponsored

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
If I end up going with a CT, I'm definitely getting them in black. I think they look good, and the utility will be used. Roof box is what I have in mind if we road-trip in it with two large dogs in the back

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Are you in the US? So far it looks like the US is not getting the rear mount bike rack. You need to tick an option (NG1?) that isn’t available to get the mounting points for the rack during build. That might make the decision easy.

Side note, where are you finding photos of cross turismos? I am not having as much luck!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Are you in the US? So far it looks like the US is not getting the rear mount bike rack. You need to tick an option (NG1?) that isn’t available to get the mounting points for the rack during build. That might make the decision easy.

Side note, where are you finding photos of cross turismos? I am not having as much luck!
Thankfully they are offering the bike rack here in Sweden, or at least the mounting points :). I haven’t actually gotten a quote for the rack itself yet.

I found this particular photo on Reddit:

Here’s my full configuration that I’ve ordered: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMDUD864

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The rack is ridiculously expensive - €1700 approx - on top of the mount points.

What were Porsche thinking??

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I've actually already placed an order for a Cross Turismo, but since it hasn't been locked down for production yet, I'm still sitting here undecided about really just one final point: the roof rails.

The functional aspect of it spontaneously feels like a complete toss up since I've never ever felt the need to mount anything on the roof (except maybe bicycles, but that is solved with the rear mount). Maybe I have just never been blessed by the wonders of a roof box (please educate me then!), but to me it seems like it all comes down the aesthetic aspect of it; does it make the car look better?

So does it? I honestly can't decide myself, especially for a car I've never actually seen in real life. At first I thought they were just pointless, but then I stumble upon photos like this (even the same colour that I went with) where the car just looks amazing. Or are there some practical aspects of it that I just haven't though about, that would make it a good idea to opt for by itself?

I would love to hear some feedback and discussion about this!
Look at a Panamera Sport Turismo and you'll get a good idea of the side profile without rails. They are detachable too I imagine.

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I ordered my CT with rails since I will put a kayak there, plus occasional other things (like the Christmas three :)
I think they look OK, but personally, I think the car looks a little nicer without them.

I have a roof box, but I haven't used it for 25 years. But it was useful when going on a ski trip with small kids and there was a huge load of things to bring.

When I drive with skis today (which happens quite often) I put them inside the car.

Last edited:

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I would rather mount cross bars like the regular Taycan offers. Anyone know if they will be available for the Cross Turismo? Looks like mounting points are there:

Porsche Taycan Roof rails or not glass_no_rail

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Rails then bars (roof transport system) I think rather than either or.

Worth asking though but it will depend on the mounting on the roof. The railing mounts may not be suitable for feet to support a bar. Historically, this option has been on the Cayenne so you never know.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I would rather mount cross bars like the regular Taycan offers. Anyone know if they will be available for the Cross Turismo? Looks like mounting points are there:

glass_no_rail.jpeg
Looks like I'm not the only one with a Bernese in a Taycan... :)

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag

My dealer is saying they think they’re standard.(in US) Also we can order the rack itself here which seems to back that up.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Here in the US, you can't get the CT without the glass roof. I don't want roof rails with a glass roof -- too iffy and concerning to me (i.e., worries about scratching or breaking glass roof with things put on top -- and even without things on top). If a metal roof was an option in the US, I'd probably order roof rails, but not otherwise... With all the options that Porsche gives, why not give us the option for a metal roof, like Porsche gives Europeans?!

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
Here in the US, you can't get the CT without the glass roof. I don't want roof rails with a glass roof -- too iffy and concerning to me (i.e., worries about scratching or breaking glass roof with things put on top -- and even without things on top). If a metal roof was an option in the US, I'd probably order roof rails, but not otherwise... With all the options that Porsche gives, why not give us the option for a metal roof, like Porsche gives Europeans?!
Actually i think the non pano roof can't have roof rails, I think the extra reinforcement on pano is required for it
Sponsored