Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
It’s surprising to see how extremely close the poll is. Still a 50/50 split between the choices.

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
My two cents:
- the car looks better without them, the CT is already having to many lines cluttering its shape
- unless you travel far distance you won't put anything there, the bike rack is better (and perhaps can fit a luggage carrier)
- the noise made by having some bikes up there is significant
- dropping a bike on that pano....

My dealer said they can be added later (but then never removed again).

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
The aero of bikes on the roof vs a hitch rack is also horrific. I’ve read up to 40% worse fuel economy on the roof at highway speeds with significantly less drag for a hitch.

On my Panamera ST an XL roof box hits mpgs by about 25% @ 80mph and the roof box is more aero than bikes.

Consumer reports did a study last year: https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/how-bike-racks-affect-car-fuel-economy/

Not sure if the Taycan CT shape would be analogous to a sedan or small SUV in this study though I anticipate Porsche took the need for superior drag coefficient into the development of the hitch rack.

And to answer the question I’m in the no roof rails camp.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The aero of bikes on the roof vs a hitch rack is also horrific. I’ve read up to 40% worse fuel economy on the roof at highway speeds with significantly less drag for a hitch.

On my Panamera ST an XL roof box hits mpgs by about 25% @ 80mph and the roof box is more aero than bikes.

Consumer reports did a study last year: https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/how-bike-racks-affect-car-fuel-economy/

Not sure if the Taycan CT shape would be analogous to a sedan or small SUV in this study though I anticipate Porsche took the need for superior drag coefficient into the development of the hitch rack.

And to answer the question I’m in the no roof rails camp.
Suggest doing the economics comparison too as the cost of the fixing and the cycle carrier (not a towing hitch) is quite extraordinary $$$$ - and there are no alternatives (if you have a hitch carrier already you won't be able to reuse it).

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Suggest doing the economics comparison too as the cost of the fixing and the cycle carrier (not a towing hitch) is quite extraordinary $$$$ - and there are no alternatives (if you have a hitch carrier already you won't be able to reuse it).
You’re absolutely right - the accessories add up fast. For the CT you’re looking at $800 for rails plus cross bars plus each bike rack. - guessing that puts you at an investment around $1300 for one bike or $1600 for two.

It seems like the hitch rack is intended more for the Porsche e-bikes which I would absolutely not put on a roof.

I’ve never road tripped with bikes and would entertain shipping them via bikeflights not to have to worry about all the concerns outlined by others previously (aero, theft, damage).

No easy answer except that I remain in the “no rails” camp based solely on aesthetics and cost.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You’re absolutely right - the accessories add up fast. For the CT you’re looking at $800 for rails plus cross bars plus each bike rack. - guessing that puts you at an investment around $1300 for one bike or $1600 for two.

It seems like the hitch rack is intended more for the Porsche e-bikes which I would absolutely not put on a roof.

I’ve never road tripped with bikes and would entertain shipping them via bikeflights not to have to worry about all the concerns outlined by others previously (aero, theft, damage).

No easy answer except that I remain in the “no rails” camp based solely on aesthetics and cost.
The hitch carrier is bike agnostic and is the same design (apart from the hitch) as the other hitch cycle carriers Porsche sells for towbars.

They are made by Thule. I have one and was hoping to reuse on my Taycan or Taycan CT but the hitch is completely new / bespoke on the Taycan so I'm not overly happy with Porsche. No hitch is available for the saloon it seems.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
For me, the roof rails are linked esthetically with the "Offroad Design Pack".

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I've decided against the rails, but the look without is kinda unfinished on the configurator. What's up with these mounting holes? I'd rather have the rails than these holes with plugs. Hoping it's just a glitch in the configurator.

Porsche Taycan Roof rails or not to

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Ordered rails, bars and roof box for the eye watering price of 2500chf here in Switzerland. Bike rack another 2500chf including the fitting set and the rack. My Thule 3 + 1 bike rack on the toe bar of the Model X at 700chf is looking more of a bargain by the minute. Is getting fleeced part of the Porsche experience?

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Ordered rails, bars and roof box for the eye watering price of 2500chf here in Switzerland. Bike rack another 2500chf including the fitting set and the rack. My Thule 3 + 1 bike rack on the toe bar of the Model X at 700chf is looking more of a bargain by the minute. Is getting fleeced part of the Porsche experience?
Yes, yes it is. I spent a $1000 on floor mats and $500 on a key!

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
I finalize took them on the CT because otherwise I can't put a roof box.
Sponsored