Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I found the factory wireless phone charger not very convenient to use. I decided to install a passenger side iPhone mount on the console. I chose the passenger side since the ProClip mounting base angled towards the center of the console, and the distance from the mount to the USB C port was shorter on the passenger side of the console. I did not want to add an extension to the Magsafe cable. I did not use a ProClip phone holder since I wanted to keep the phone close to the mounting base so it would not block the passenger's view of the console screen.

I tried unsuccessfully to remove the rearward cup holder or the small panel where the 12v and USB C ports were mounted. I was hoping to be able to route the cable through the front wall of the console storage compartment.

I was able to remove the forward passenger side console panel and the side panel next to the passenger seat with very few tools. I pried the outer section of the forward panel off by hand and removed three screws securing the inner section of the forward panel to the console. After removing the forward panel it was easy to pry the side panel away from the console with the passenger seat in the rear most position.

The rubber pad in the console compartment can be removed to expose the bottom of the console compartment. I cut an oval slot in the bottom of the compartment adjacent to the edge of the compartment to accommodate the USB C plug on the Magsafe cable. I used a 1/4" drill bit in a hex drive screwdriver to hand drill two 1/4" holes and then used an Xacto knife and small files to shape the two holes into an oval. I cut a small notch into the edge of the rubber pad to allow the cable to enter the compartment.

I routed the cable along the top edge of the console and held it in place with a short section of 3/8" caulking foam. I used a 1/8" diameter cable sleeve to cover the white Magsafe cable between the Magsafe charger and the point where the cable enters the console.

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port CableInConsoleCompartment.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port SleevingInstalled.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port DrilledHolesInConsoleCompartment.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port OvalCableHole.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port CaulkingFoamToRetainCable.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I adapted this Magsafe charger cell phone stand to use as a cradle for an iPhone in conjunction with the ProClip mounting base.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XXRV5SW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I disassembled the stand and used a 1" square piece of Gorilla tape to attach the cradle to the ProClip mount. The cradle extends above the mount so that the Magsafe charger can be removed from the cradle by pushing it out through the hole in the back side.

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port MagsafePhoneStand.JPG

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The outer front console panel is held in place with eight tabs that snap into metal clips attached to the inner front panel. The inner front panel is held in place with three machine screws with a T-25 Torx drive. This inner panel is also held in place with a couple of tabs on the back side. When removing the panels there is a good chance that some of the metal clips and white locating pins may pop out of place. Reinstall these clips and locating pins before reassembling the console. The reason the forward panels need to be removed is that they overlap the console side panel.

The longer side panel next to the seat is held in place with twelve tabs. There are also three white locating pins. These white pins will be engaged first when you reassemble the console facilitating the alignment of the twelve tabs.

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port OuterForwardPanelRemoved.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port ForwardPanelsRemovedJPG.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port ConsoleSidePanelsRemoved.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These photos of the backside of the three console panels show the location of the tabs that secure the panels to the console. I managed to remove the three panels without breaking any tabs. When reassembling the console check to see that all metal clips, white locating pins, and the rubber trim around the edges of the front panels are correctly in place.

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port ConsoleSidePanel.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port BacksideOfOuterForwardPanel.JPG

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port InnerHalfOfForwardPanel.JPG

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
Interested in this project, how has this been working for you?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interested in this project, how has this been working for you?
I am very happy with the set up. We have been using the Magsafe mount for over a month and find it much more convenient than the Porsche hidden charger in the console compartment. Only issue we have encountered is that the Magsafe iPhone case on my wife's iPhone 13 mini seems to have a stronger attraction and sometimes pulls the Magsafe charger out of the Silicone cavity. Solution is to slide the phone off the mount. Eventually I will get a different phone case.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Aside from the charging aspect, why do you need to have it mounted where you can see it?
Given the 6 points on the licence and a proper slap from the Magistrate I too am interested in the answer.

I watched this yesterday by coincidence

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Just buy an android box like mmb.. it will show everything on the CarPlay screen.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Aside from the charging aspect, why do you need to have it mounted where you can see it?
Agreed. I put it in cup holder and charge via rear USB port. Simple, easy, FAST charging.
Using phone apps while driving is not cool. Thankfully CarPlay and other types are available.

EdwinT

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo, Porsche 356a T1
Country flag
I have gone the same route, sort of. I routed the cable using the panel gaps, it shows no cable now, right into the console.

I noticed the charger doesnt switch off after locking the car. Dont like to have the Qi charger switched on all the time.

Any advice, besides pulling the cable on the charger side?

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I noticed the charger doesnt switch off after locking the car. Dont like to have the Qi charger switched on all the time.

Any advice, besides pulling the cable on the charger side?
Are you sure? I know the "cigarette" outlets work for about 30 minutes after turning off the car. I think it is the same for the USB outlets as well (but i have not tested this)...

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Agreed. I put it in cup holder and charge via rear USB port. Simple, easy, FAST charging.
Using phone apps while driving is not cool. Thankfully CarPlay and other types are available.
Agreed - I actually went a step further and modified an extra OEM ashtray cup holder insert I had that I was not using - super simple- added a mag mount - see posts here #282 and #283 .

I could easily swap the basic mag holder out for a mag charger and rout a cable back to the usb-c port in the center console but TBH I rarely need to charge my phone in the car and mostly just want a handy spot to 'drop' it and pick it up when exiting - the console being a PITA!

Pic installed:

Bottom cupholder with OEM ashtray insert (to allow your elbow to not fall into a cupholder!) and top with modded insert with 'guts' removed - so now have usable (key) storage (lid still works) and a phone mag holder in other cupholder - iPhone 13 fits perfectly sideways. All 100% reversible and no physical mods needed to car. Also get to retain the cupholder lighting!

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port IMG_6991

Side view:

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port IMG_0646

Top view - should have aligned it better!:

Porsche Taycan Routing Magsafe cable from passenger side of console to USB C port IMG_0644

Last edited:

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I use Waze every time I drive and it sucks your phone's juice. Have not finalized my set up, but I do plug mine in a lot. Will post when complete.
Sponsored