Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag

Is there any substance to this backed up by experiences in this forum? Seems absurd as almost all US charging at home is done at or below that range kW no? I myself charge at only L1.
Sponsored

shelt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S; '18 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Is there any substance to this backed up by experiences in this forum? Seems absurd as almost all US charging at home is done at or below that range kW no? I myself charge at only L1.
Not sure, but his Twitter feed is full of love and praise for Elon/Tesla/SpaceX, and he constantly bashes the German car makers on every front.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is the known issue that below some minimum threshold of power supplied to the onboard charging electronics, the consumption and losses exceed the power being delivered causing the 12V battery to drain. This was a problem with charging at 120V at some low current setting - while slow, I think 120V at 12A (80% continuous rating from a 15A wall plug) was OK. That would only be 1.4 kW - far below the above threshold.

OP
OP
Chris8536

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
There is the known issue that below some minimum threshold of power supplied to the onboard charging electronics, the consumption and losses exceed the power being delivered causing the 12V battery to drain. This was a problem with charging at 120V at some low current setting - while slow, I think 120V at 12A (80% continuous rating from a 15A wall plug) was OK. That would only be 1.4 kW - far below the above threshold.
I charge at 1.2 -- however he's implying damage to the battery and boards here, not 12v drain.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Extremely vague blurb. "Porsche has scrapped a number of Taycan vehicles"

How many is a number?? 5, 50, 500?

Something tells me this is nothing more than a hit piece from a Tesla fan boy. These cars have been on the road going on two years now, first time I've heard of this.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I went through his tweets….I can see him as a big fan of Tesla.
otherwise, I’ve been charging below 7,5kw two or three times when I haven’t had three-phases (400V, 16amp) installation ready at home.
I also charged at 400V,10amps (=6,8kw) about five or six hours without any problems.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Not sure, but his Twitter feed is full of love and praise for Elon/Tesla/SpaceX, and he constantly bashes the German car makers on every front.
He's well known for loving the smell of Elon's taint. I don't trust a single word he said. He was adamant refreshed X's would be delivered in August and got butthurt when people called him out. He's the Tesla fanboys version of Jack Posobiac. Has "sources" everywhere but is never correct.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've heard the same rumor from a different source, actually predating that tweet. I'd dismissed it at the time. This may or may not be the same rumor getting to me from different paths, it is very likely not true. Every day has a new rumor of one form or another.

On the other hand, an issue like this also wouldn't be the first BMS/charging/battery related issue for the Taycan. And given the supply chain constraints, I really don't want to "f around and find out". The last thing I need is my Taycan stuck at the dealer waiting for a new battery pack for a few weeks.

So personally, I'm going to play it safe and stick to charging w/ the 40 AMP wallbox vs. outside at 110V.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Is damaged or BECOMES damaged? Agreed, very vague and no links to info, fact checks, etc...

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
most likely not true - but even if it is - so what - Porsche has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty - and if they “scrap” your car - guess what I’m thinking generous compenstation - and can’t be ”fixed” - hard to imagine a battery issue that can’t be fixed by swapping hte whole battery…so you get a new battery…

if was happening we’d of heard about it after 2 years
if it does happen - so what? get a new car or a new battery

color me unconcerned - scrapping entire cars because the battery “goes” bad seems extreme and makes the claim even more suspect - that would be like saying there are 8 speed tranmission issues so we throw the entire Cayenne away.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
gas tank leaks - gotta scrap the whole car - yeah sure - happens every day :rolleyes:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a number of forum members that have reported their cars throwing "Electrical Fault" and eventually needing a new big battery.
Porsche has not explained why these batteries failed, so anything is possible.
I believe, scrap in this context means the car is lemon-ed because they can't get the battery replaced in 30 days. Then it is probably not worth the ~$40k cost to replace the battery and sell the car with a lemon title. Instead you can use/sell the working parts which can be more profitable.

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
most likely not true - but even if it is - so what - Porsche has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty - and if they “scrap” your car - guess what I’m thinking generous compenstation - and can’t be ”fixed” - hard to imagine a battery issue that can’t be fixed by swapping hte whole battery…so you get a new battery…

if was happening we’d of heard about it after 2 years
if it does happen - so what? get a new car or a new battery

color me unconcerned - scrapping entire cars because the battery “goes” bad seems extreme and makes the claim even more suspect - that would be like saying there are 8 speed tranmission issues so we throw the entire Cayenne away.
Any other time, I'd agree: who cares, warranty will pick it up.
Right now though, you'd spend several weeks waiting for that replacement to happen.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any other time, I'd agree: who cares, warranty will pick it up.
Right now though, you'd spend several weeks waiting for that replacement to happen.
The "scrap the Taycan" problem is so obviously BS. There are no facts behind this tweet, and there is no hard data anywhere.

Don't waste any more time chatting about this one...
Sponsored