RWD driving experience

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
There are a ton of people looking to buy the RWD Taycan, and I'm one of them.

Most of us have seen the videos, and read the reviews, but experiencing, driving and living with the RWD is completely different. Hype train says the RWD is the one to get because it's the one for the enthusiast, the one for the handling, is fast enough, has the range, is competitively priced, etc.

For anyone who has actually driven or owns a RWD Taycan, how does it live up to the hype; how does it compare to the rest of the range, specifically the 4S; and does it make a great entry-level experience for those new to Porsche, but want an electric vehicle that drives like a Porsche first (and not a Tesla)?

I'm sure a lot of this will be subjective, but I'm keen for people with real world RWD experience to share their thoughts.

Some discussion points:
  1. How does the RWD handle
  2. Does the reduced weight make a difference to the driving experience
  3. Does the improved range make a difference
  4. Does the reduced power leave you wanting for more
My father owns a replica 356 Speedster, so that's the closest Porsche experience I have. My first test drive of the RWD is on April 12.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RWDGen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
There are a ton of people looking to buy the RWD Taycan, and I'm one of them.

Most of us have seen the videos, and read the reviews, but experiencing, driving and living with the RWD is completely different. Hype train says the RWD is the one to get because it's the one for the enthusiast, the one for the handling, is fast enough, has the range, is competitively priced, etc.

For anyone who has actually driven or owns a RWD Taycan, how does it live up to the hype; how does it compare to the rest of the range, specifically the 4S; and does it make a great entry-level experience for those new to Porsche, but want an electric vehicle that drives like a Porsche first (and not a Tesla)?

I'm sure a lot of this will be subjective, but I'm keen for people with real world RWD experience to share their thoughts.

Some discussion points:
  1. How does the RWD handle
  2. Does the reduced weight make a difference to the driving experience
  3. Does the improved range make a difference
  4. Does the reduced power leave you wanting for more
My father owns a replica 356 Speedster, so that's the closest Porsche experience I have.
Hi

I picked up a RWD last Monday, I've put about 500 miles on it since then, I traded my 1 year old Tesla model S Performance for it so hope fully I can help.

Firstly, this is my first Porsche so I can't compare it to any other models, I do have a BMW Z4 M as a weekend car though, so I've a bit of experience with RWD relatively powerful cars.

As someone who appreciates build quality and driving dynamics the Porsche is light-years ahead of the Tesla, it feels so good to be back in a "car"!

If your looking for something to "ping" you from a standing start the RWD is not it, cold weather and wet roads and you'll still not light up the tyres from a standing start on the RWD, don't get me wrong it's not slow, but compared to what most may be used to with the 4WD of EVs then it's quite a different prospect, it's odd for a EV, it very much reminds me of a naturally aspirated engine's power delivery, constant, it keeps building and building, and building, with more power coming the faster you go and never seems to let up! It's definitely, in my opinion, more enjoyable than the "wham, bam, thank-you Mam" brutal shove the Tesla provided.

I'll say it again if your into drag races or taking on AWD hot hatches then this is probably not the car for you, if you love winding roads and very well set up dynamics and don't give a crap about statistics then this is definitely the car for you.

Once your moving it DOES NOT FEEL SLOW, 50-70mph type of thing is very rapid, once you put your foot down your never more than 1-2 seconds from getting in trouble with the law, but it is still a big heavy car so hides it's speed well, it has similar performance figures to my Z4 M but with the roof off and the lighter weight you definitely "feel" the speed more in the Roadster.

Coming out of a sharp bend or roundabout in the UK and you floor it, yes it will squirm from the back end and give you a giggle with lights coming on in the dash, this is it's party piece, not going sideways on a public road, but the fact it's clearly a very well set up RWD car at this point and you can feel all the power is coming from the rear, and therefore more fun! It clearly carries more weight at the back and therefore yes the steering feels light and direct, the back end being weighted by the big motor (but not in a 80's 911 going to kill you way!)

So far 10 or so days in I have absolutely no regrets!

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I also have a RWD Taycan. One of the first in my country. I didn't had the chance to drive it enough to have a proper feedback, I've only managed to do 150km's so far.

But my initial impressions were also similar to the gentleman above. It's a RWD vehicle, but it's very hard to loose traction, I never felt like I needed more traction in any case.

Also, the power delivery is very linear. There are no brutal G forces in this, but it's a fast and well handling car. A great GT if I must say.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Congrats on getting your Taycan! 500 miles in just a week ?

it's odd for a EV, it very much reminds me of a naturally aspirated engine's power delivery, constant, it keeps building and building, and building, with more power coming the faster you go and never seems to let up!
I'm with you. I want a fun and exhilarating driving and handling experience, over neck-breaking acceleration and speed.

What did you include in your build? Is there anything you would recommend, or change?

RWDGen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMV4LSF9

It was a "pre speced" by Porsche, but it suited my needs, even down to 99% of my charging being done at 22kw at work.

There is nothing on the build I regret (other than the Porsche charger but that will be used at some point), I'd have been interested in the rear wheel steering but haven't honestly found myself needing it as the car has a very good turning circle. It's my daily work car and used to ferry my older teen kids about at the weekend, and is perfect for that, the 20" wheels are a revelation compared to the 21" on my Tesla, but I've never drove a Taycan on 21's so they may be much better.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
It's so good to see great experiences with the RWD! Keep these coming!

I also have a RWD Taycan. One of the first in my country. I didn't had the chance to drive it enough to have a proper feedback, I've only managed to do 150km's so far.
Superb! Look forward to your in-depth review, especially your experience living with the RWD.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMV4LSF9

It was a "pre speced" by Porsche, but it suited my needs, even down to 99% of my charging being done at 22kw at work.
Excellent spec! How does the Sport Plus mode feel over Sport? Do you daily drive in Range?

RWDGen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not sure how the "Sport" works with a non Sports Chrono car, but I love the Sports Plus setting, not only does it really firm up the suspension, drop the suspension to it's lowest setting and pop up the spoiler (shows this on the dash), but it turns on the regenerative braking so it feels like your driving a petrol powered car in gear with engine braking...ohh and turns on the sports sound too!

Not used Range mode other than to turn it on for a min to see what happens, as I've not needed it.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Sport and Range modes come as standard on the RWD. Driver can choose the driving mode through the dash.

I hope Sport mode is similar to the Sports Plus mode you describe, especially as I have air suspension and rear axle steering.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I finally test drove both the RWD and 4S models.

Both models feel unreal: quick, responsive, composed and surprisingly agile for a car that weighs over 2 tonnes and is almost 5m long. My comments are designed for someone considering their first Porsche. I drove the RWD first (3 hours), and then followed by the 4S (3 hours).

Model specs
Significant options on the models.

Taycan RWD:
  1. Rear motor
  2. Performance battery plus
  3. Air suspension
  4. 20-inch turbo aero wheels
  5. Rear parking camera
  6. Folding electric mirrors
  7. Electric sports sound
  8. Sports Chrono
  9. Partial leather interior
  10. Panoramic roof

Taycan 4S:
  1. Front and rear motors
  2. Performance battery plus
  3. Air suspension
  4. 21-inch Mission E wheels
  5. Surround parking
  6. Folding electric mirrors
  7. Electric sports sound
  8. Sports Chrono
  9. Full leather interior
  10. Panoramic roof

Experience
Straight off the bat, the driving experience of both models is phenomenal. Taycan is a beautiful beast, both inside and out. Everything about it just made me smile.

Handling
RWD steering was a little heavy, but still felt extremely nimble, direct and precise for a car of its size. On the road, the car was extremely poised, and the air suspension dealt with potholes effortlessly with its 20-inch Turbo Aero wheels.

I managed to get it around the tight, near impossible 90º corner to park it at the back of my house without the RWS or Power Steering Plus options. Obviously, this took a few manoeuvres, but it got there in the end. I'm not sure if RWS would have helped, but the electric exterior mirrors did help to slightly reduce the overall width of the car to make it around the corner.

4S steering was a dash lighter, due to the front motor. Getting around London's narrow streets was even easier than the RWD (which was still easy).

Grip on both cars driving at 40mph to 70mph is ridiculous.

Performance
RWD has more than enough power to get around town, drive on A and B roads, and motorway; it didn't feel underpowered at all for a daily driver. Accelerating from 30mph to 70mph was rapid, brisk and measured, but it still pushed you back into your seat to really feel the acceleration without breaking your neck.

4S has the extra power for fast overtaking on a motorway, or if you generally need to get away really quickly. Acceleration gets real scary real fast. Do it a few times, and your passengers won't like you much!

Both models have the power lurking just underneath the surface for when you need it. 4S is faster, but the RWD is more than fast enough. 4S natural environment is the Autobahn.

Battery
RWD technically has more range, so this a trade-off between power and range. I won't take the either model to the track, but for daily drive and trips of 200+ miles, both models are great. However, every time you accelerate hard, the range drops significantly, which is to be expected. I drove both models with break recuperation on, but I didn't notice much difference when disabled. I've been told the recuperation system takes miles to get warmed up before it starts working as it should.

Interior
Both interiors were black. Leather seats and steering wheel feel smooth, yet grip confidently. Centre console arguably feels smoother without the leather.

Curved screen binnacle is beautiful industrial design with a superb user interface. My favourite part of a great interior.

Panoramic roof is too darn sexy. It creates so much light in the cabin, giving it an open feel.

Conclusion
Both the RWD and 4S are highly capable models, which are perfect for a daily driver, or a weekend joy ride. RWD does everything superbly, and the 4S builds on that, especially around faster acceleration. Everything depends on your budget, but you won't go wrong with either. Taycan range is like the iPhone 12 range, where each model will do the job beautifully, but the more money you put in, the shinier and stylish it gets.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I picked up a RWD last Monday, I've put about 500 miles on it since then, I traded my 1 year old Tesla model S Performance for it so hope fully I can help.

As someone who appreciates build quality and driving dynamics the Porsche is light-years ahead of the Tesla, it feels so good to be back in a "car"!
Amen to that! My Taycan is replacing an outgoing Tesla. Tesla was purchased when Taycan was released but the turbo and turbo s were out of the budget. Thanks Porsche for releasing the "base" model!

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Amen to that! My Taycan is replacing an outgoing Tesla. Tesla was purchased when Taycan was released but the turbo and turbo s were out of the budget. Thanks Porsche for releasing the "base" model!
You will not be disappointed with either the RWD or 4S; both are superb.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag

But my initial impressions were also similar to the gentleman above. It's a RWD vehicle, but it's very hard to loose traction, I never felt like I needed more traction in any case.

Also, the power delivery is very linear. There are no brutal G forces in this, but it's a fast and well handling car. A great GT if I must say.
Did you go with the Frozen Berry? If so, do you still like or have any regrets, and which interior did you go for? I'm considering Frozen Berry.

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
@mandoyoda Your impressions of the RWD with air suspension are very interesting. I test drove a RWD with steel coils and was a little let down by its ride - it wasn't bad but it didn't have the effortless solidity of a 4S that I also drove. I thought air suspension on the RWD would make the ride comparable to the 4S but all RWD models ordered by the dealers around me came equipped with the standard steel. I didn't want to risk the uncertainty so I just ended up ordering a 4S, even though the RWD equipped exactly the same would have been $20,000 less. Some reviews I'd read and watched, including yours, do mention the added acceleration and that was influential on my decision to go with the 4S but the single motor on the RWD would likely have been more than capable 99% of the time. Probably a mistake to have ordered the 4S - $20k more is too much premium for a second set of motors and a little more passing oompf for a daily driver that will never see a track.

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
@PeterL it's a shame you didn't get to test drive the RWD with air suspension. Both the RWD and 4S ride quality felt the same. My passengers couldn't tell the difference either.

RWD is a great entry point into Porsche for new customers like me, who want to use the Taycan as a daily driver but with Porsche driving dynamics and prestige. I don't think you'll regret the 4S though, I would have got it myself if I could.