RWD owners - need your help

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I would like to one day get a ‘23 4S sedan and understand that it could be quite a while before I get one…

In the meantime, a base/RWD sedan fell into my lap and it has many of the options I was looking for (PB+,PASM,Sport chrono, all leather,prem pack). No ADM and good offer on my trade. I’ll get the fed tax credit too.

This would be my daily. No commuting. Local and some freeway driving. No track.

how hard will it be to find a 4S (like I did this one)? Should I grab the base and wait for an allocation? Will the RWD be enough so I won’t need a 4s (subjective I know!). Any thoughts from current RWD owners or those who were in a similar situation?? Thank you very much.
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I'm fine with the RWD. IMHO there is not much difference except for:

- the 4S is better in the snow
- the 4S is faster

I use my Taycan RWD as a daily driver and top end speed is not super important to me.

The Taycan RWD and 4S have the same available options such as rear axle steering (RAS), air suspension, etc.

JamesP

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
I went RWD after testing back to back with 4S. The RWD was definitely more sedate but I felt it was a lighter drive and very “point and shoot”. I live UK in stop start traffic with motorway commutes periodically so blistering acceleration was not the prevailing factor. But I can see why people go for the 4S - it was a hoot!

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I went RWD after testing back to back with 4S. The RWD was definitely more sedate but I felt it was a lighter drive and very “point and shoot”. I live UK in stop start traffic with motorway commutes periodically so blistering acceleration was not the prevailing factor. But I can see why people go for the 4S - it was a hoot!
I appreciate the responses so far. There’s no doubt that the 4S is faster…and more expensive. It also seems most RWD are very pleased with what they have and in some cases prefer it over the 4S…while very few dislike the RWD and regret their decision.

Jimboy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RW
Country flag
I have a RWD. Love it. Also tested back to back. In launch control it was definitely slower, but how often would you need that. At highway speeds accelerating for passing they were about the same. I didn’t need AWD for snow. I think handling with RWD is a bet better. My 2 cents.

markrm61

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2014 S4
Country flag
My 21 RWD has been great one year in, zero problems. Living in California I have no need for AWD (my last car was an Audi S4). It’s plenty fast, handles well with the adjustable height suspension and 21” Mission E’s. I wouldn’t hesitate if you’re happy with the test drive.

chalkrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TAYCAN RWD
Country flag
No regrets going for RWD. Can’t see myself needing any more speed than this. Quick enough to make a yellow light and overtake someone whenever necessary. Just as comfortable as any other Taycan as long as you get air suspension.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I’ve had a 2022 RWD for 4 months now. Options I have include performance battery plus, air suspension, Aero wheels, Bose speakers, folding mirrors, and surround view. I previously had a 2016 Golf GTI. In short, I LOVE my car. It’s an amazing pleasure to drive and plenty fast when you practically want it like highway merging and passing. Reading this forum daily is like somebody asking how my kid is doing. I could talk forever about it.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ve had a 2022 RWD for 4 months now. Options I have include performance battery plus, air suspension, Aero wheels, Bose speakers, folding mirrors, and surround view. I previously had a 2016 Golf GTI. In short, I LOVE my car. It’s an amazing pleasure to drive and plenty fast when you practically want it like highway merging and passing. Reading this forum daily is like somebody asking how my kid is doing. I could talk forever about it.
I agree with this.
Mine has mostly those same options.

I had an M2 prior and the Taycan RWD is more than a match for that.
It's slightly slower off the line and less agile round bends (both due to its weight).
But once off the line, acceleration and overtaking in the Taycan is superior.

However, I didn't buy it to treat it like a Cayman.
Its refinement, size and weight lends itself to driving more like a GT car (say Bentley GT) but with superior handling.

I wouldn't swap mine, as it does everything I want it to do superbly.

If I wanted a faster more 'sporting car' I would actually be looking for something lighter and smaller (not heavier).

Its my only car though. Probably be different if I had a 2nd weekend / track car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My only reservation with the RWD is an engineering one.
I wouldn’t bother with 4WD in a normal engined car here, not worth the extra weight, in the UK but with an EV regenerative braking having a motor to use as a generator at both ends is clearly theoretically technically superior.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I test drove the 4S only before ordering the RWD, as they were not available. I felt the front was too heavy for my liking. I relied on reviews & purchased the RWD. I am very happy with the drive & the decision.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
This community has been extremely helpful - I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

it’s amazing that 0-60 in 5s/400+ HP is “slow” but I get it. I’m sure I’ll be more than happy with the RWD and if it’s not “enough” then the 4s isn’t going anywhere.

I also find it interesting that most of the reviewers / “experts” prefer the RWD

Andy S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan; Volvo XC40
Country flag
Same for me too .... I test drove back to back and there was a marked difference in how the two cars get to drive- I felt like I was driving and 'controlling' the RWD car, the 4S definitely felt like it was controlling/dictating how I drove. Both were fantastic drives but just felt like I had more fun in the RWD. Yes slightly slower, but in reality so what!

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Same for me too .... I test drove back to back and there was a marked difference in how the two cars get to drive- I felt like I was driving and 'controlling' the RWD car, the 4S definitely felt like it was controlling/dictating how I drove. Both were fantastic drives but just felt like I had more fun in the RWD. Yes slightly slower, but in reality so what!
to this day, the car I had the most fun in was an old Z3 1.9...was getting beat by Accords off the line but man was it a dream to drive.
Sponsored