RWD - Rear Axle Steering or Massaging Seats?

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Surprised by the number of people recommending the massage seats - had them on a couple of cars, each time used once or twice as a novelty and never again. Don't have RAS on my Taycan - hard to miss it if one has never tried it. Turning radius on the RWD Taycan is just fine as is.
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t have RAS in NYC and I’m fine. I had an SUV before so I don’t have a problem with a big car. You will not need it in Texas.

I’m not sure you will feel the difference with RAS in Texas.

:CWL: Is the universe just expanded in Texas? Lived there for years; parking lots are no bigger than anywhere else.

RAS isn’t just about the tighter radius, which is very noticeable, it’s about the way the car can square off turns by swinging the rear of the car. It adds up to a much more maneuverable car. Do ya need it? No. But it’s probably more useful to most than a seat that rubs your bum.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
:CWL: Is the universe just expanded in Texas? Lived there for years; parking lots are no bigger than anywhere else.
:)
Parking lots in the USA are massively bigger than any other country I have ever visited, maybe similar in Canada and parts of Australia.
I’d be amazed if the rear steer would make a crucial difference anywhere in the US but it may be nice to have for track days.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Parking lots in the USA are massively bigger than any other country I have ever visited, maybe similar in Canada and parts of Australia.
I’d be amazed if the rear steer would make a crucial difference anywhere in the US but it may be nice to have for track days.
We’re talking Texas vs elsewhere in the US, not Europe, Canada, or Asia. OP is from Jersey.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
On average, particularly in certain metro areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York, parking spaces and parking lot aisles are slightly narrower in some parts of the country than is typical in Texas and other “roomier” states, which is why those of us in those denser MSAs care so much about turning radius.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I know, I had them in my M5. Total waste of money IMO.
That depends on the individual. They may be a waste for you. They’re definitely a waste for me. Doesn’t make it universally true for everyone.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That depends on the individual. They may be a waste for you. They’re definitely a waste for me. Doesn’t make it universally true for everyone.
That’s why I said ‘IMO’. You know what that means, right?

OP
OP
NuJerzPorsche

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Easy fellas haha. You guys are both right lol

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I totally understand that comment for sub-urban America, but RAS is still very useful here. Great for u-turns and urban parking.

(I'm a Brit that travels globally extensively in Europe and Asia - so have a strong feeling for tighter maneuvering).

RAS all the way for me.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I can assure you that the US is very diverse. I live in Georgetown, which has very European parking and maneuvering situations . . . RAS is a very important option from my perspective.

As with most reviews of cars on the Internet, though, my opinion is flawed because I have never owned a Taycan that lacks RAS. Of course I cannot imagine life without it. . . .

I personally think massaging seats in a Porsche is crazy, but so is an AWD Green station wagon

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
That’s why I said ‘IMO’. You know what that means, right?
Yes. It means “in my opinion”, which explicitly scopes the source of information as yourself, but there are no qualifiers on its application. You would need to add “for myself” or “for people meeting criteria X” or something similar to scope its application.

For example, if I say, “It’s wrong to unplug someone else’s car, IMO”, the source is identified as myself, but the application is not limited to myself. The application is global. I.e. my opinion is that it’s wrong for all people to unplug other peoples cars. Understand? 🙂

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes. It means “in my opinion”, which explicitly scopes the source of information as yourself, but there are no qualifiers on its application. You would need to add “for myself” or “for people meeting criteria X” or something similar to scope its application.

For example, if I say, “It’s wrong to unplug someone else’s car, IMO”, the source is identified as myself, but the application is not limited to myself. The application is global. I.e. my opinion is that it’s wrong for all people to unplug other peoples cars. Understand? 🙂
:CWL: You need to get out of the house more.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Surprised by the number of people recommending the massage seats - had them on a couple of cars, each time used once or twice as a novelty and never again. Don't have RAS on my Taycan - hard to miss it if one has never tried it. Turning radius on the RWD Taycan is just fine as is.
Actually feel the same - and this is coming from someone who loves gimmicks. I had them in my Audi S5, used it maybe 10 times total in the 3 years I had the car.

From what I hear the RWS is far more useful especially people in urban settings.
Sponsored