First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings!

I just drove a RWD without sports chrono. I hit the sport mode button on screen (super easy to do) and was able to do launch control.

While the Chassis has a "sports plus" function, I understand it is not a true sport plus function that can only be obtained if you have the sports chrono knob.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between sports plus (through chrono) and sports mode /w sport plus on chassis (without chrono)? Does it make much difference on a RWD, as right now I am reconsidering optioning this feature?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
In PSM SPORT mode, PSM support is limited in critical driving situations outside the ABS control range. PSM SPORT mode should always be switched off during "normal" driving.
*Vehicles with Sport Chrono package:
In PSM SPORT mode, the system is switched to a particularly sporty mode.

The PASM suspension system actively adjusts the chassis dynamics.
Your vehicle may be equipped with one of the following versions:
– PASM with steel suspension.
– PASM with selectable air suspension and levelling system

The adjustable chassis system individually sets the appropriate damper force level for each wheel.
3 different chassis setups can be selected at the push of a button:
– Normal: comfort setup
– Sport: sporty setup
– Sport Plus: very sporty shock setup

Suspension modes can be manually set to whatever you desire. Example: sport suspension in NORMAL drive mode. Chrono option is worth it IMO for anyone that wants more from their Porsche than just driving to the store, work, etc...

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
@XLR82XS Thanks for the detail. Ordered mine with both Sport Chrono and Active Air Suspension. Now if Porsche could find some TPM chips I could actual get it and try out all the settings! :mad:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@XLR82XS Thanks for the detail. Ordered mine with both Sport Chrono and Active Air Suspension. Now if Porsche could find some TPM chips I could actual get it and try out all the settings! :mad:
@PDACPA you're welcome! SC and air suspension are key. I feel for all y'all that have to wait. I got lucky an my RWD arrived in ~7 weeks from order. ?

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In PSM SPORT mode, PSM support is limited in critical driving situations outside the ABS control range. PSM SPORT mode should always be switched off during "normal" driving.
*Vehicles with Sport Chrono package:
In PSM SPORT mode, the system is switched to a particularly sporty mode.

The PASM suspension system actively adjusts the chassis dynamics.
Your vehicle may be equipped with one of the following versions:
– PASM with steel suspension.
– PASM with selectable air suspension and levelling system

The adjustable chassis system individually sets the appropriate damper force level for each wheel.
3 different chassis setups can be selected at the push of a button:
– Normal: comfort setup
– Sport: sporty setup
– Sport Plus: very sporty shock setup

Suspension modes can be manually set to whatever you desire. Example: sport suspension in NORMAL drive mode. Chrono option is worth it IMO for anyone that wants more from their Porsche than just driving to the store, work, etc...
I may be dense....having trouble understanding this. Would someone be able to boil down for me?

Is PSM Sport Mode what happens when I press the Sport button on the RWD (with no Sport Chrono)? Are you saying that it is much more limited than if I accessed it from Chrono?

I can still adjust the Chassis from the menu system without Chrono.

If it helps, I am getting the air suspension option.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is PSM Sport Mode what happens when I press the Sport button on the RWD (with no Sport Chrono)? Are you saying that it is much more limited than if I accessed it from Chrono?

I can still adjust the Chassis from the menu system without Chrono.

If it helps, I am getting the air suspension option.
No. PSM sport: tightens the suspension. SPORT button on center screen is sport drive mode.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
No. PSM sport: tightens the suspension. SPORT button on center screen is sport drive mode.
PSM is stability management. More yaw, slip angle, etc; not suspension related.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Thank you. That is helpful, but wondering if that is more geared toward a Turbo or even a 4S.

With the RWD, not sure if you can tell a big difference.
If my RWD would get its TPM I could maybe give you an opinion! LOL Its stuck in the port waiting on the part.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
So PSM only comes with Chrono option?
No. PSM is Porsche stability management (traction control, stability control) standard on every Porsche for years. PSM sport is just sportier programming for the stability/traction system, only with sport chrono. You can still defeat PSM entirely without sport chrono.

The answer to your original question, sport vs sport plus drive modes is likely pedal mapping, steering weight, and availability of PSM sport. No more power, launch control works in either, and suspension settings are independent of drive mode.

I’ll go against the grain and say it’s not needed on a Taycan and not as valuable as on an ICE Porsche where you get dynamic trans mounts, different PDK shift logic, launch control, PSE changes etc.
Sponsored