RWD with PTV+, Chrono needed?

LuigiF1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S 981, Taycan Ordered 6/4 Delivery.
Country flag
Hello, I have one day to lock order on RWD. I am doing other performance options (Battery+, Rear Axle, PASM, PSCB as req.w/21 Mission E) but still on fence for PTV+ and Chrono. I am coming from 981 Cayman S that did not have PTV+ In winter I just had a different set of BBS wheels and snow tires. I drive mostly highways and 4 lane county highways. Never track but do drive aggressive when I can.

1.Is there a noticeable difference in handling if I do not do PTV+ with daily driver? (with these options present (Battery+, Rear Axle, PASM, PSCB as req.w/21 Mission E)

2. On Chrono, I don't really like the dash chrono, but love the dial to switch mode. Am I missing a more aggressive driving mode in Sport+ (vs sport). Also is there any loss in acceleration/Launch with out sport plus? Asking as I do see a difference with sport + in response in my 981 Cayman S

Thank You,
Dan
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From my perspective PTV+ would not be worth the investment given the excellent driving characteristics of the car as it is (I doubt you would really experience the investment) and your intended use.

Agree with Sports Chrono comment (it just looks "bad" and a shame it isn't integrated into the dash). Still Porsche are traditionalists at heart and persist with this implementation (981 Boxster / Cayman broke the mould of course).

As far as I am aware Launch Control is Launch Control and so full power should be available when you engage it for that boy racer rush. Sport Plus will be more dynamic but again unless you are 'racing' the highways or on a track I'm not sure you will miss much.

Remember, you are considering adding these options to a standard Taycan and so you are already limited in terms of output and pay back. For this reason I would question the expense of PSCB and the lack of air suspension - the latter is a 'must'.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hello, I have one day to lock order on RWD. I am doing other performance options (Battery+, Rear Axle, PASM, PSCB as req.w/21 Mission E) but still on fence for PTV+ and Chrono. I am coming from 981 Cayman S that did not have PTV+ In winter I just had a different set of BBS wheels and snow tires. I drive mostly highways and 4 lane county highways. Never track but do drive aggressive when I can.

1.Is there a noticeable difference in handling if I do not do PTV+ with daily driver? (with these options present (Battery+, Rear Axle, PASM, PSCB as req.w/21 Mission E)

2. On Chrono, I don't really like the dash chrono, but love the dial to switch mode. Am I missing a more aggressive driving mode in Sport+ (vs sport). Also is there any loss in acceleration/Launch with out sport plus? Asking as I do see a difference with sport + in response in my 981 Cayman S

Thank You,
Dan
1. PTV+ does not require Sports Chrono, at least it was like this when I ordered my 2020 model. PTV+ is excellent when you like to eat corners. Next Taycan I buy, I would spec at least Battery+, Rear Axle, PTV+. I find it fascinating that a car that heavy can go around a corner with 80 km/h easily, where I found 60 km/h was pretty much the limit in my Audi A7.

2. I do not like the clock so I did not order the Chrono. Honestly, I even never use the Sport mode unless I want to do LC, which I haven't done in 6 months.

But I love eating corners, every time I drive without my wife!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sport Plus will be more dynamic but again unless you are 'racing' the highways or on a track I'm not sure you will miss much.

Remember, you are considering adding these options to a standard Taycan and so you are already limited in terms of output and pay back. For this reason I would question the expense of PSCB and the lack of air suspension - the latter is a 'must'.
Without Chrono, you don't have Sports+, but you can lower the car to Sports+ level. I don't think you will miss out between Sports and Sports+.

True, the Air suspension makes a big difference in comport and you feel it every time you drive the car. PSCB you never notice in daily driving besides the different color.

OP
OP
LuigiF1

LuigiF1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S 981, Taycan Ordered 6/4 Delivery.
Country flag
Yes I am ordering air suspension, Rear Axle, Battery+. I know I don't need PSCB, but it is required if I get Mission E's

1. PTV+ - Just didn't know if I'll miss out if I drop PTV+ option. Will I notice on high speed turn or cloverleaf, maybe a little? But also wondered with snow if its a big help or just go with. Separate set of snow tires as I had with Cayman S. It's Minnesota its winters are cold but really maybe 6 days of measurable snow.

2. Chrono Was just wondering if noticeable Characteristics Sport vs Sport+. Also I guess you get Individual mode to package your preferred settings together. Is that true no Individual if no Chrono?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Correct, the Individual mode is only available with the Sport Chrono Package option. I use my Individual setting except when I'm on a long distance road trip. I have my Individual setting programed for Sport Drive Mode, with the Normal Suspension, and the low ride height of Sport+. As far as the difference between Sport and Sport+ Drive Modes, I can feel a difference.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don't buy a Porsche without Chrono. Just don't do it. You cannot replicate the sportiness it gives you, there are full details in multiple threads on here. It does a lot more than you think it does and gives you more for the money than any other option available.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
PTV will not offer anything in the snow.

If this is a concern then forget the base Taycan and go for the 4S (entry point for 4WD on Taycan but there is a Taycan 4 Cross Tourismo now). Note that once you've lost traction in either 2WD or 4WD you've lost it, just a question of when!

Mighty expensive set of wheels given the forced brake upgrade. It makes no sense (to me) on the entry model unless cosmetics matter most (sorry).

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Sports Chrono but in terms of option cost it is fair enough on balance.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry, I disagree especially for normal driving and low speeds normally driven in snow 4WD will be of more advantage than not.

Try it out...

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I have all the sportive functionality. I would of course recommended them. Just consider if

- you have budget
- you would not wonder ‘what if’ should you not
Sponsored