First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Hi all

I've been doing my research and have come to a point where I need to ask the community for advice and info, as I'm highly considering a CT4 for my next car.

I currently own a Tesla model 3 performance on some coil-overs and. 265's all around. I use my car as my daily driver. About 80% of my commute is a 6 mile drive to my shop. The other 20% could be a longer drive into downtown Los Angeles, a couple hundred miles out into the deserts of California, or drive all the way up north to San Francisco.

My first question - how's the public charging situation? I work in production, and sometimes this requires me to be able to charge out in some remote places in Ridgecrest, Lone Pine, Palmdale (for those familiar with California). This has proven to be just fine with the Tesla supercharging network, but my research has been conflicting about Electrify America. Some saying there's simply not enough, or that they're unreliable. Has anyone have public charging experience in the more remote places of California? Does the car do a pretty accurate job about routing your trip to chargers? Do I need the Porsche Intelligent Range manager option to have this?

2nd question - because of how often I take long drives, I absolutely LOVE my autopilot. While I don't expect Porsche's solution to be as good, I just want to know if it's worth spec'ing this option. And just to be sure, I'm looking at active lane keeping and active cruise control (ALK and ACC), right? I don't need innodrive?

3rd - Keyless entry - I'm spoiled with Tesla's phone/bluetooth as a key feature. I LOVE not carrying any keys. After reading through Porsche Connect website, I'm still unclear if this is a feature lol.

4 - PCM issues - I'm assuming this is the car's main entertainment console, my interface to the internet entertainment world (CarPlay). I'm reading about issues with this, is this more of a rare/isolated issue affecting fewer cars? Again, I work in production and I spend a lot of time in my car at a job waiting. Watching Netflix in my Tesla has been a saving grace. I know I won't be able to do that in the Taycan, but I'll be happy if I can watch things on my phone and have the sound pipe through the car.

5 - Performance - I can't justify the extra cost in having power closer to what my Performance model 3 has, and thus why I'm spec'ing a CT4. My question is, all I really care about is passing performance. The ability to pull out into traffic in situations where no one really wants to slow down for you (gotta love LA people sometimes). Will I be happy here?

Feedback on my configuration would be appreciated (am I missing anything? or is there something I don't need, or can I save money anywhere?)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKZ4WK2

I plan to put my own aftermarket wheels on

thanks all
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Keep your Model 3 - at least the 1st 4 things you list are worse outside the Tesla Universe - the only reason to move to a Taycan is to get a better car, but it's a worse EV.

I've owned Tesla's since 2013 - and I'm a former '18 Model 3 performance owner w/coil overs.

Porsche makes a better car but a worse EV
Tesla makes a great EV and a mediocre car.
  1. 1st question: public charger - EA is a sh*t show and less reliable than supercharging - locations are pretty good, but fewer stalls and they will not function as often as a supercharger - if you're concerned about specific routes or locations you'll have to consult plug share for CCS chargers.
    1. when and _IF_ you can get a 350 kW EA charger to work however it's a glorious thing and the Taycan charges faster than _ANY_ of my Tesla's ever have - x% to 90% less than 27-30 minutes and no real taper until close to 90% SOC - when EA works and the Taycan is "in the SOC/temp zone" - the charging is fastest EV on the market…but you need to find a functional EA charger- LOL.
  2. 2nd question - all you need is ALK and ACC - but it's not as good as Autopilot, but it's good enough
  3. 3rd question - you will have a tranditional key FOB - no using your phone as a car key
  4. 4th question - PCM is PCM - Carplay is useful and I prefer it - but Tesla's software if you like it is way more advanced/stable/functional than Porsche PCM
  5. 5th quesiton - Tesla is "quicker" but lower performance car when pushed - if all you want to do is go fast in a straight liine and NOTHING else Model 3 is a hard car to beat for the price, but Porsche can be as quick as a Model 3 if you pay the money, but is way better in non-straight line applications (turning, ride quality, brakes that will work more than a few times)
  • Porsche makes a great car and a mediocre EV
  • Tesla makes a great EV and a mediocre car
  • Porsche is as good at mechanical engineering as Tesla is as software
  • Porsche is as good at software as Tesla is at mechanical engineering
given your 5 things you've listed you're going to be paying a lot of money to get a better car, but a worse EV.

Last edited:

sboggsisu

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Base
Country flag
Former Model S owner for 4.5 years and current Taycan owner for almost a year now. I'll give these a crack:

1. Public charging - I'd check the EA website to see about specific chargers in specific places. I live in the Inland Empire. Yes EA isn't as good as Superchargers. They are less reliable and less frequent. But I've found they are frequent and reliable enough to not be a huge issue - for me at least.

2. I loved autopilot a lot. You will be disappointed with Porsche's version. It works ok on the freeways where there is little to no traffic, etc... You have to watch it much more closely than Tesla's. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up.

3. Had a Model S so it wasn't keyless. I don't get the hype with the keycard, but can't comment with experience about this.

4. Yes there are issues and yes it will drive you nuts on occasion. But for me it works fine almost all of the time. Biggest issues I've had are dropping CarPlay occasionally (much less frequently than it used to). It's not as easy and intuitive to use as the big iPad in Tesla. But in general, it works 98% of the time like I want it to.

5. Never driven a Model 3 P, but passing performance is no issue at all for me. You'll be very happy with it (and I only have a Taycan RWD)- as well as most other driving aspects of the Taycan.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Keep your Model 3 - at least the 1st 4 things you list are worse outside the Tesla Universe
Maybe not fair. OP isn’t asking for equal or better. I understand OP to be asking if they are acceptable.

Except maybe #3 which is a straightforward feature question. Answer is no. The key needed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all

I've been doing my research and have come to a point where I need to ask the community for advice and info, as I'm highly considering a CT4 for my next car.

I currently own a Tesla model 3 performance on some coil-overs and. 265's all around. I use my car as my daily driver. About 80% of my commute is a 6 mile drive to my shop. The other 20% could be a longer drive into downtown Los Angeles, a couple hundred miles out into the deserts of California, or drive all the way up north to San Francisco.

My first question - how's the public charging situation? I work in production, and sometimes this requires me to be able to charge out in some remote places in Ridgecrest, Lone Pine, Palmdale (for those familiar with California). This has proven to be just fine with the Tesla supercharging network, but my research has been conflicting about Electrify America. Some saying there's simply not enough, or that they're unreliable. Has anyone have public charging experience in the more remote places of California? Does the car do a pretty accurate job about routing your trip to chargers? Do I need the Porsche Intelligent Range manager option to have this?

2nd question - because of how often I take long drives, I absolutely LOVE my autopilot. While I don't expect Porsche's solution to be as good, I just want to know if it's worth spec'ing this option. And just to be sure, I'm looking at active lane keeping and active cruise control (ALK and ACC), right? I don't need innodrive?

3rd - Keyless entry - I'm spoiled with Tesla's phone/bluetooth as a key feature. I LOVE not carrying any keys. After reading through Porsche Connect website, I'm still unclear if this is a feature lol.

4 - PCM issues - I'm assuming this is the car's main entertainment console, my interface to the internet entertainment world (CarPlay). I'm reading about issues with this, is this more of a rare/isolated issue affecting fewer cars? Again, I work in production and I spend a lot of time in my car at a job waiting. Watching Netflix in my Tesla has been a saving grace. I know I won't be able to do that in the Taycan, but I'll be happy if I can watch things on my phone and have the sound pipe through the car.

5 - Performance - I can't justify the extra cost in having power closer to what my Performance model 3 has, and thus why I'm spec'ing a CT4. My question is, all I really care about is passing performance. The ability to pull out into traffic in situations where no one really wants to slow down for you (gotta love LA people sometimes). Will I be happy here?

Feedback on my configuration would be appreciated (am I missing anything? or is there something I don't need, or can I save money anywhere?)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKZ4WK2

I plan to put my own aftermarket wheels on

thanks all
build looks good - you might consider the 400V/150 kW charging option _IF_ you believe Tesla Supercharger's will be accessabile in North America during your ownership period.

optional feedback
  1. gloss black inlays for exterior components - great look - $2k for something purely cosmetic
  2. wife loves the massage option on the 14 way seats - seriously consider it
  3. $800 to turn the rear logo glacier blue is again purely cosmetic - maybe move the money to a "functional" option vs. cosmetic
  4. drop innodrive for ALK/ACC only - I have Innodrive, but it's disabled due to frustrating issues - I use it just in ALK/ACC mode
  5. $300 puddle lights are actually useful in my opinion - the light helps me gauge distance when getting out of the car in unfamiliar locations at night - and they look awesome and are "fun"
  6. ambient lighting is un-necessary but gives the interior a super lux feel at night - cheap option by porsche standards
  7. I'd bump to full leather (but it's not my money) the higher quality material options is one area in which Porsche excels and clearly distinguishes itself vs. the 2007 Acura quality interior of a Model 3. Porsche has sooo many options to make the interior worlds better than a Tesla - but you have to pay for it - but it's where the car is clearly better.
    1. race tex head liner for example is one expensive option but makes the car feel soo much higher end
  8. as mentioned - 400V/150 kW charging option for future full chargind speed @ Tesla Superchargers - cheap insurance so that you're never limited to 50 kW charging speed
  9. if this is your first porsche get one of the delivery experiences - you won't regret it.
I'd check a few more of the "pricy" options PDCC/HUD etc…it's where the Taycan is light years better than the Model 3 but you again have to pay for it…and I'd juice the interior to upgrade the materials - again this is where Porsche goes beyond what you can achieve with Tesla's Honda Accord level fo trim.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there you go - I "fixed" your build for you - :rock::CWL::cool: - this will be a better "CAR" than the Model 3 and have a substaintially better "feel" in the cabin interior quality - I also took the liberty of doing a PECLA delivery experience - you will have a BLAST - and you live in Huntington Beach so it's super close to you - you really have no excuse.

I spent a lot of your money but this will soften the blow of some of the things you give up by moving to a Porsche with many of the things you can gain by moving to a Porsche.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNEJ8E4

but again this isn't my money - so make your own informed decisions.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the car do a pretty accurate job about routing your trip to chargers? Do I need the Porsche Intelligent Range manager option to have this?
yes you need range manager to get this functionality - it's not as good as Tesla's built in Nav - but it gets the job done and provides a great outline of what needs to be done - I pre-plan using plug-share and other apps (a better route planner for example) and then see how close Porsche's choices are.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I'd prioritize full leather interior over other cosmetic options - IMO it's not actually a bad value (for Porsche), since it adds nappa leather in a ton of places (most of the doors, most of the dash, center console, steering wheel center, most of seats besides front seat backs). I think this is one of the key things that will elevate the interior feel vs. your Tesla. While the base interior is pretty good, having sat in the full leather it's a noticeable step up

To do that I'd probably kill the chalk belts, thermal glass (some forum members have said they're not sure they can tell the difference), light strip, power port charge cover.

As Dave said, I'm personally only choosing ACC, and going to try out ALK via FoD. The Innodrive part doesn't add much desirable stuff from what I understand: slowing down in corners (I feel a Taycan shouldn't have to slow down for corners on the highway), reading speed limit signs

Otherwise I'd personally add Lane Change Assist. Some people don't really use it, but I do like the double reassurance. Really should've been standard at this price point though...

If you do all of the above, the price comes out to $300 more than your listed spec

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
coming from a Tesla I'd suggest keeping the power charge port covers - all Tesla's have power flaps that close when you unplug - manual ports went away with the 2014 Model S P85's…if you're used to Tesla cloing the port cover for you - the manual ports will be a step backwards.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Just to further try to convince the leather point (at least this is how I thought of it), look at a configurator for a BMW 540i. I find BMW options to actually be pretty reasonable usually (vs. Porsche), with wheel upgrades only being $950 and a driving assistance package that includes ACC/ALK/Innodrive being $1,700, pretty much half of Porsche

That said, to upgrade a 540i from sensatec (fake leather) to nappa leather, it is $2,500. That doesn't even come with a leather dash and door tops, and keeps the plastic/rubber. On a M550i to get a nappa leather dash/door tops it's $700 (vs. the standard sensatec in the M550i, since 540i can't have nappa dash). So overall in my mind it'd cost $3,200 in BMW land to go from sensatec to nappa leather comparable to the Porsche full leather. That's a lot closer to Porsche's option cost of $4,130, vs. the other examples like wheels and driving assistance being half the porsche option price. Keep in mind base interior doesn't have much leather - just a nappa steering wheel, and rougher leather on the inner and outer seat bolsters. Everything else is faux leather

I think Porsche's margin on leather option is a lot lower than stuff like chalk belts and neodyme accents (though I think the accents do look awesome) which probably are near 100%

PS: Option the free smoking package - it gives you a free porsche branded insert that pops into your cupholder and no other changes. You can take it out and use it as a desk pencil holder or something

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
sometimes this requires me to be able to charge out in some remote places in Ridgecrest, Lone Pine, Palmdale (for those familiar with California).
I’m a bit late to this conversation, but assuming you use ABetterRoutePlanner like most of us Tesla owners do, I suggest you try plotting a trip to some destinations but enter a Taycan as the EV instead of your Tesla. This will show you if you can make a trip to those out of way places.
On longer trips, both my Tesla Y long range and the Taycan RWD with the bigger battery are giving me almost the same range on an 85% charge.The Taycan is over delivering on expected range, while the Y is under delivering on range.

Having both a Tesla Y and a Taycan, I’m finding I use the Taycan more than my Tesla, even for my short 32 mile round trip office commute. I like both cars, but the Taycan is more enjoyable to drive. It’s a sports car while the Tesla Y is a small SUV.

As for the PCM issues you point out, both the Taycan and the Tesla have quirks. Bottom line: neither set of electronic quirks are show stoppers to me, but are simply annoyances. It’s annoying not to have my Y open from my phone once a month, but since it works most times, it’s just annoying.

Last edited:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As an alternative to the full leather option and for a discount, I came from a Model 3 Performance and opted for the Paldao wood + neodyme trim, which has a very unique and luxurious look. I skipped the full leather in part because (a) I think the standard interior (including the plastic bits that people seem to poo poo) is pretty nice and (b) I have little kids, which makes taking care of the full leather harder.

But the first person to reply nailed it... Porsche makes the best car and Tesla the best EV. Being more of a "car" guy than an EV guy per se, I'm ecstatic with my choice despite it being 2X the price and a larger (less maneuverable) car. I enjoyed the Tesla early on as a new car, but after a while I didn't care about it at all - didn't stare at it as I walked away or obsess over washing it, etc. A lot of that was their looks, interior materials, ride quality and ubiquity. I don't much miss Netflix or the Tesla pluses and I didn't have range or charging issues. Never used autopilot either... those are big considerations for you.

neo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan MY22
Country flag
I drove a Tesla Model S 75D for 4.5 years, and switched to a Taycan 1 week ago. My answers are:

1. Public charging in Australia is fine, but I cannot comment on the California charging situation. I mainly charge at home anyway (3 phase power), and find it charges at a similar speed as the Tesla did.

2nd - Autopilot is the what I miss most about the Tesla. I have ALK and ACC, but its definitely not as good as Autopilot. I think I will miss it less over time, because the Taycan is more fun to drive manually. I would definitely get ACC, but ALK is not particularly useful. I don't feel comfortable taking my hands off the wheel other than for pretty straight roads for a short period.

3rd - Keyless entry - keyless entry is standard in Australia. Definitely add it if its not standard. Keep in mind, the Taycan does not turn itself off and lock itself when you walk away, like the Tesla does (it was a handy feature on the Tesla).

4 - PCM - I actually think the infotainment on the Taycan beats the Tesla because it offers both CarPlay and apps built into the PCM. e.g. Apple Music and Apple Podcasts are integrated into the PCM (no phone required). I like that I can also use Audible through CarPlay. No Netflix doesn't really bother me. I use the PCM for Nav, because directions come up on the head-up display. The PCM is a bit complicated at first, but you get used to it.

5 - I have the base Taycan which is not as fast acceleration compared to my 75D. I was worried I might find it too slow, but it doesn't bother me at all. The Taycan feels sportier, and has much better handing (its a Porsche after all), so I'm sure I could do a faster lap of Nuremberg in my Taycan.

Overall, I'm glad I made the switch from Tesla to Taycan, its more fun to drive, it looks better, and the interior feels more premium...but if you want the car to drive itself, stick with Tesla.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ummagawd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You guys are awesome, thank you for the insight and responses!

I def appreciate the honesty

I will download plug share and start checking out some areas that I frequent.Are there any others that I should check out or is plug share THE app to get? This is perhaps my biggest concern.

As for ALK and ACC, noted… yes I’m not expecting better than Teslas autopilot, just looking for it to be acceptable for my really long drives. I’ve found that autopilot really leaves me with more energy on really long drives. And this is something that benefits what I do for work. (Sometimes I’m on the roadby 3am to get to my destination by 6am).

I’m definitely looking for a funner car to drive in the twistys (I get to take fun roads sometimes). This would be my first Porsche, with the 718 spyder being the 1st car I was eyeing before I came to my senses that I can’t daily that lol. So I’m perfectly happy to give up straight line performance for a funner driving experience. It sounds like I’d still have plenty of passing power in a CT4, so that’s great news. And the fact I’d get to go off-road is huge because again, my job sometimes takes me off paved roads… something I’ve had to do and get stuck in my model 3.

Thanks for the feedback on the build, I figured I’d spend the money on making it look (inside and out) the way I want if I can’t have the power of say a 4s or turbo.

is the double insulated glass really not effective? I have an early model 3 so it’s not as quiet as I’d like. A YT review suggested this option makes it dead quiet inside the CT4.

I have to go for now, but will respond/have more questions soon

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You guys are awesome, thank you for the insight and responses!

I def appreciate the honesty

I will download plug share and start checking out some areas that I frequent.Are there any others that I should check out or is plug share THE app to get? This is perhaps my biggest concern.

As for ALK and ACC, noted… yes I’m not expecting better than Teslas autopilot, just looking for it to be acceptable for my really long drives. I’ve found that autopilot really leaves me with more energy on really long drives. And this is something that benefits what I do for work. (Sometimes I’m on the roadby 3am to get to my destination by 6am).

I’m definitely looking for a funner car to drive in the twistys (I get to take fun roads sometimes). This would be my first Porsche, with the 718 spyder being the 1st car I was eyeing before I came to my senses that I can’t daily that lol. So I’m perfectly happy to give up straight line performance for a funner driving experience. It sounds like I’d still have plenty of passing power in a CT4, so that’s great news. And the fact I’d get to go off-road is huge because again, my job sometimes takes me off paved roads… something I’ve had to do and get stuck in my model 3.

Thanks for the feedback on the build, I figured I’d spend the money on making it look (inside and out) the way I want if I can’t have the power of say a 4s or turbo.

is the double insulated glass really not effective? I have an early model 3 so it’s not as quiet as I’d like. A YT review suggested this option makes it dead quiet inside the CT4.

I have to go for now, but will respond/have more questions soon
  1. Plugshare is a good app for finding CCS chargers - so yes…
  2. ALK/ACC is more than acceptable for long drives - just not as good as autopilot - but it's very very useful.
  3. Taycan has plenty of power and responsiveness - it is still an EV after all - so instant torque - it's jus not technical as quick as a Model 3 until you get a Turbo or Turbo S- but still plenty fast - you'll appreciate the improved ride quality of the air suspension vs. the 3, and the handling and brakes are next level better vs. the Model 3
  4. I love the double insulated glass, but the Taycan is next level quiet vs. a Tesla (any Tesla) - this is one area where Porsche excels vs. Tesla - moving directly from a 3 to a Taycan (in my case) simply made me appreciate the Taycan - it has virtually no noise even at triple digit speeds vs. my Model 3 at 75 mph
    1. at higher speeds not only is the Taycan clearly a better "car" - but it's much more composed and planted vs. a Model 3 - it's a better all around car - so it can be an upgrade if you go in "eyes open"
    2. Tesla however is dramatically further along in some "tech" areas vs. Porsche - so there is some gain/loss to be had here…
going in "eyes open" is my only goal - and there are pros/cons to both platforms - I love my Taycan and would not trade it for a 3 under any circumstance - but being a Tesla victim/customer since 2013 I have some appreciation for the areas in which they do excel, and I'm simply bemused at some area where Porsche needs to improve.

sounds to me like you're going in with a good perspective, so the Taycan maybe a very successful purchase for you - and as your first Porsche I'd recommend ticking a few more boxes (if you can stomach the impact) because that is where Porsche excels and makes a superior product, but they do charge for the privilege - the results however tend to make you a life long customer.
Sponsored

Last edited: