SA said new PMCC will not be limited. Can anyone corroborate?

JS4S

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan 4S, 21 Cayenne S, 06 Z06, 89 Formula 350
Country flag
All,

Spoke to my SA about my upcoming delivery. (hoping for the 17th) I asked him about the PMCC, and my concerns with paying for a charger that only charges at half of the advertised rate. He assured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited. Can anyone out there with a recent delivery confirm?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
All,

Spoke to my SA about my upcoming delivery. (hoping for the 17th) I asked him about the PMCC, and my concerns with paying for a charger that only charges at half of the advertised rate. He insured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited. Can anyone out there with a recent delivery confirm?
Get them to put it in writing that they will buy it back if it is limited.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
All,

Spoke to my SA about my upcoming delivery. (hoping for the 17th) I asked him about the PMCC, and my concerns with paying for a charger that only charges at half of the advertised rate. He insured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited. Can anyone out there with a recent delivery confirm?
a car salesman will say almost anything to a buyer, as noted, get it in writing that they will guarantee that the unit will charge are the advertised rate.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
They pulled the firmware that defaulted to 50%; given that, I would assume new units are defaulting to the 40A charging where available.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
He insured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited.
There are better and much less expensive EVSEs out there than the PMCC. The 'old' (current?) PMCC is throttled to 50% of its 40 amp rated charging current (most likely due to a defective power cable or connector).

I have a Juicebox 40 which I paid $250 after a rebate. Like the PMCC, the Juicebox is 40 amps and has WiFi, but the Juicebox connects to my power company via the internet and sends them charging statistics, allowing me to get a deduction on my power bill when charging off peak. You cannot get this with the PMCC.

Before jumping into the PMCC, you should check out other options. . daveo4EV recently posted a round up of EVSEs, which makes a good read when looking for an EVSE for the Taycan (and other EVs). I don't have a link handy but you should be able to find this.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are better and much less expensive EVSEs out there than the PMCC. The 'old' (current?) PMCC is throttled to 50% of its 40 amp rated charging current (most likely due to a defective power cable or connector).

I have a Juicebox 40 which I paid $250 after a rebate. Like the PMCC, the Juicebox is 40 amps and has WiFi, but the Juicebox connects to my power company via the internet and sends them charging statistics, allowing me to get a deduction on my power bill when charging off peak. You cannot get this with the PMCC.

Before jumping into the PMCC, you should check out other options. . daveo4EV recently posted a round up of EVSEs, which makes a good read when looking for an EVSE for the Taycan (and other EVs). I don't have a link handy but you should be able to find this.
This is only true if you got the firmware update; which they have since pulled. Mine didn’t get the firmware update, and shows as current, and therefore it’s not throttling by default or after a reset. I am running mine at 75% as a precaution and because I have the time to charge overnight.

Not arguing there are better EVSE options, but the 50% restricting firmware update isn’t being pushed out anymore.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
. He assured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited.
“Not limited” and “successfully, consistently charges at 40A” aren’t necessarily the same thing though.

Although, one might argue that the latter is required for the former. 🤷‍♂️

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Need to caveat this with 'better in NA', our PMCCs here in Europe have worked just fine since day 1.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
All,

Spoke to my SA about my upcoming delivery. (hoping for the 17th) I asked him about the PMCC, and my concerns with paying for a charger that only charges at half of the advertised rate. He assured me that the PMCC I will be receiving will not be limited. Can anyone out there with a recent delivery confirm?
Did you purchase the 19.2KW charging option, or do you want to future-proof your setup?

If so then the Porsche Wall Charger Connect is another option and it doesn't have the problems experienced by the PMCC. Downside is you need a 100A breaker to provide 80A and your existing electrical box might be limited.

You can also use the PWCC with any Taycan and charge at the fully rated 11.5KW versus 9.6KW for the PMCC.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
All,

Well, I took delivery 11/19 but I just threw it in the closet. It's all wrapped in plastic and I really have no reason to unwrap since I've already moved on, charger-wise.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
All,

just because it won't be hobbled doesn't mean it's fixed…

it will still potentially overheat
it will still have compatibility problems with other non-Porsche EV's
it's still too big
it's still too heavy
and it's still $1120 for something where $500 or less will do the trick with far less drama

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
And remember the overheat failures don't happen immediately.

My PMC+ worked fine for a full year at 40 amps.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This is only true if you got the firmware update; which they have since pulled.
true, but Porsche used deceitful tactics to get people to bring their units in for a software update, they didn't tell those people that the update was to cut the speed of charging in half, and many others had their units updated OTA, ironic, unknowingly allowing their units to be retarded.
the level of dishonestly on porsche's part is quite concerning to me.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
true, but Porsche used deceitful tactics to get people to bring their units in for a software update, they didn't tell those people that the update was to cut the speed of charging in half, and many others had their units updated OTA, ironic, unknowingly allowing their units to be retarded.
the level of dishonestly on porsche's part is quite concerning to me.
I was responding to the original OPs question; I believe, in this instance, that the dealer's statement was valid if new units were not being shipped with the now pulled update. I have my auto-update off so never installed the update; that update is now no longer showing on my PMCC.

I completely agree that how Porsche have handled this PMCC issue is disappointing. Not sure how much of it is deliberate vs an ill conceived plan vs trying to avoid consequences if they publicly acknowledge it doesn't behave as advertised....

From what I have read on this forum, the cable from outlet to PMCC is a significant factor and it's disappointing they have not looked at offering a replacement to a more suitable gauge.

If I was buying today, I for sure would have either brought non-Porsche or gone for their new wall mount unit.

OP
OP
JS4S

JS4S

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan 4S, 21 Cayenne S, 06 Z06, 89 Formula 350
Country flag
Thank you for your input! It is much appreciated.
Sponsored