Sad time to say goodbye to the forum

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Hey all, as some may already of seen from a couple of my posts today, I have decided to cancel my Taycan order. Although my delivery date was a little time away, Oct23, I’m not really prepared to accept delays of 5 months which I’m sure has high potential to delay even further. In addition was told of price increase and no guarantees that the options selected will be available in 2024.

Anyways, thought I would thank you all for a short but enjoyable time on this forum, but most importantly wish you all enjoyment of ownership and hope that those waiting, that it comes soon.

Now off to try and find another EV, there won’t be a competitor to the Taycan so back to the drawing board……oh and def won’t be another Tesla, done nearly 3 years with the ‘frugly’ brand and that’s enough for me😉
Sponsored

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I know it's not the same buying experience, but there are tons of second hand, nearly-new or ex-demo models available. And the moment yours arrives, irrespective of spec, it's also immediately second hand. There might be a car out there that fits (pretty closely) your specification. I saw a car the other day that was 14 months old but damn me it looked like new. And there's very little that can't be replaced, polished up or repaired. It will also be cheaper!

OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I know it's not the same buying experience, but there are tons of second hand, nearly-new or ex-demo models available. And the moment yours arrives, irrespective of spec, it's also immediately second hand. There might be a car out there that fits (pretty closely) your specification. I saw a car the other day that was 14 months old but damn me it looked like new. And there's very little that can't be replaced, polished up or repaired. It will also be cheaper!
Agree with what you have stated but I am using the Salary Sacrifice scheme and thus only new EV’s have the tax incentives, maint/ins all covered. Thus used market is an option………for now.

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Hey all, as some may already of seen from a couple of my posts today, I have decided to cancel my Taycan order. Although my delivery date was a little time away, Oct23, I’m not really prepared to accept delays of 5 months which I’m sure has high potential to delay even further. In addition was told of price increase and no guarantees that the options selected will be available in 2024.

Anyways, thought I would thank you all for a short but enjoyable time on this forum, but most importantly wish you all enjoyment of ownership and hope that those waiting, that it comes soon.

Now off to try and find another EV, there won’t be a competitor to the Taycan so back to the drawing board……oh and def won’t be another Tesla, done nearly 3 years with the ‘frugly’ brand and that’s enough for me😉
Are you sure it's really delayed 5 months? My TYD showed a delay of 5 months from March to August, but now I'm expecting delivery in 3 weeks. The date they delayed it to wasn't real, just a placeholder. In hindsight I am very glad I had members in this forum encourage me to keep my order.

OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Unfortunately def a delay, it came from the dealer and salary sacrifice company. They had to give detail as it has a cost impact and contract so this is not an App indicator.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Buy used dude. Makes more sense - Taycans have no more federal rebates at time anyways

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Agree with what you have stated but I am using the Salary Sacrifice scheme and thus only new EV’s have the tax incentives, maint/ins all covered. Thus used market is an option………for now.
Perhaps calculate how much you save from the tax schemes on new car, that way you known at what price it would be worth buying used (where the savings from used depreciation surpass savings from new incentives). Then keep an eye on used Taycans.

OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Perhaps calculate how much you save from the tax schemes on new car, that way you known at what price it would be worth buying used (where the savings from used depreciation surpass savings from new incentives). Then keep an eye on used Taycans.
Yup did that before taking the Tesla and again before ordering the Taycan but the Salary Sacrifice scheme is not comparable when you look at total expenditure over 3 years with no deposit, monthly payment deducted from salary before tax, less than 10th of the cost for insurance, all maintenance/tyres etc. paid regardless. Only 2% tax on benefit per year and only £250 penalty to leave after initial 3 months ownership.

As mentioned in other threads, this scheme is behind the UK market being flooded with used 2/3yr EV’s now and am sure will increase each year…… the only issue has been availability and delivery delays.

Under no illusion that this bubble will burst at some point, wether it will be increase of tax on the scheme or residuals go beyond expectations and the various companies increase monthly payments to cover dropping residuals from flooded used markets.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup did that before taking the Tesla and again before ordering the Taycan but the Salary Sacrifice scheme is not comparable when you look at total expenditure over 3 years with no deposit, monthly payment deducted from salary before tax, less than 10th of the cost for insurance, all maintenance/tyres etc. paid regardless. Only 2% tax on benefit per year and only £250 penalty to leave after initial 3 months ownership.

As mentioned in other threads, this scheme is behind the UK market being flooded with used 2/3yr EV’s now and am sure will increase each year…… the only issue has been availability and delivery delays.

Under no illusion that this bubble will burst at some point, wether it will be increase of tax on the scheme or residuals go beyond expectations and the various companies increase monthly payments to cover dropping residuals from flooded used markets.
So how discounted would the used Taycan have to be to break even with a new one with all the benefits? 80%, 75%, 50%, 30% of MSRP? Who is buying used then? Only people willing to pay more just so they don't have to wait? If not, then the used car prices should fall to be competitive with new cars with benefits, no?

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Great points there, my workings out made a comparison to equal was if it was a cash purchase in full and keeping for 5 yrs plus. Both will loose money as with all car purchases. But the cash buyer would have to be mindful of mileage and keep below 8000 miles per year, not fully load with options and keep to ‘average’ liked colours.

Unfortunately I would be apprehensive to throw £80-100k cash into a mainstream car, pay extortionate insurance (approx £4000 per year where I live).

Add to the fact I put on about 12,000 or around miles per year, on average need at least a pair or full change of tyres so private ownership and running costs start to overtake a Salary Sacrifice scheme.

OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
The ongoing delays and uncertainty made my mind up and it’s now time to venture to new pastures and find another new EV …….. what’s going to make it interesting is that I’m sure will be using the Taycan as a bench mark, it should be an interesting challeng.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great points there, my workings out made a comparison to equal was if it was a cash purchase in full and keeping for 5 yrs plus. Both will loose money as with all car purchases. But the cash buyer would have to be mindful of mileage and keep below 8000 miles per year, not fully load with options and keep to ‘average’ liked colours.

Unfortunately I would be apprehensive to throw £80-100k cash into a mainstream car, pay extortionate insurance (approx £4000 per year where I live).

Add to the fact I put on about 12,000 or around miles per year, on average need at least a pair or full change of tyres so private ownership and running costs start to overtake a Salary Sacrifice scheme.
So even a Turbo S for $50K would not be cheaper than new one via Salary Sacrifice?

OP
OP
Hanny

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
So even a Turbo S for $50K would not be cheaper than new one via Salary Sacrifice?
LOL, you can’t play with my head like that🤩 if you got that for sale I’ll pop over the pond tomorrow.
…..do you accept cheques 🤓

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL, you can’t play with my head like that🤩 if you got that for sale I’ll pop over the pond tomorrow.
…..do you accept cheques 🤓
:CWL: Ha! So there is a price at which it would make sense! $50K would send you over the pond, ship a car, and have you drive with the steering wheel on the left. How about $75K, $100K, $125K? What price would make sense for you to pickup a local used Taycan to drive (assume you cannot just sell it for profit, all used car values would drop)? The answer to that is what you could start looking for, or negotiate to on a used Taycan, which I hear is quite plentiful in the UK nowadays.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
:CWL: Ha! So there is a price at which it would make sense! $50K would send you over the pond, ship a car, and have you drive with the steering wheel on the left. How about $75K, $100K, $125K? What price would make sense for you to pickup a local used Taycan to drive (assume you cannot just sell it for profit, all used car values would drop)? The answer to that is what you could start looking for, or negotiate to on a used Taycan, which I hear is quite plentiful in the UK nowadays.
OP rather pays twice the money but saves on tax, than pays tax and overall spends less on practically the same car and same life experience. I totally get that mindset, but then I don't pay tax...:CWL:
Sponsored