Sadly its just a bug... Taycan on Tesla Superchargers

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Article is just speculation that it is a bug. there was also speculation that based on Germany rules they have to be open to non Tesla cars - but since didn’t have a way to bill for it, had it free.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche and Tesla should make this a formal feature - and solve the billing problem - and then also provide a CCS adapter - the Tesla supercharger network would make the Taycan and upcoming Macan much more effective.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is really no excuse for either company at this point to not support using Tesla superchargers - it's just pure stubbornness on both sides that is preventing it.

electricity is electricity and we can see that the technical barriers are very very low…or non-existent - I for one would love access to a functional fast charging network - and EA would fold overnight like a wet paper sack…

the additional "load" on the supercharger network is about 1 months total Model 3 production - cause the other EV's annual numbers in TOTAL are about 1 months production from the Fremont factory.

and then everyone could focus on building out this network and improving it...

raise your hand if you'd like to use the 40 stall Supercharger site in California on I-5 north/south - and have plug&play charging on a fast charging network at actually works?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Other manufacturers would be crazy to make any deal with Tesla. They need other charging networks not affiliated with any car manufacturer to grow into a competitor, and letting folks use superchargers would kneecap that effort.

It's a long game, and selling more cars that use CCS will eventually create the market that CCS chargers need to spur more investment. Eventually Tesla will want to open their network to all comers once it's not the dominant network and not a big advantage.

I don't have a dog in this fight, because I'll just call SilverCar and rent a Q7 anyway to road trip, lots of chargers or not.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
there is really no excuse for either company at this point to not support using Tesla superchargers - it's just pure stubbornness on both sides that is preventing it.

electricity is electricity and we can see that the technical barriers are very very low…or non-existent - I for one would love access to a functional fast charging network - and EA would fold overnight like a wet paper sack…

the additional "load" on the supercharger network is about 1 months total Model 3 production - cause the other EV's annual numbers in TOTAL are about 1 months production from the Fremont factory.

and then everyone could focus on building out this network and improving it...

raise your hand if you'd like to use the 40 stall Supercharger site in California on I-5 north/south - and have plug&play charging on a fast charging network at actually works?
Tesla's charging network is a major selling point for Tesla and a differentiating factor from other manufacturers -so they don't have any incentive to open their network even if they could charge for it. Also, since Electrify America is a Volkswagen venture and VW owns Porsche, there is likely a reluctance for VW to allow Porsche to make a deal with Tesla. After the first 3 years of "free" charging from EA, VW will expect to have their brands use the EA network and not incentivize customers to use the Tesla network notwithstanding that EA is not proprietary.

Yes, it would help sell more Porsche EVs to partner with Tesla network. The economics (i.e., profit margin) for selling more EVs would be much greater than the profit margin from the charging network, but VW probably wants to do their best to recoup their costs in rolling out EA.

But I totally agree that all the EV manufacturers should cross-sell the various charging networks. The charging networks should ultimately be like the gas stations - doesn't matter where EVs go to power up.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Might be, but I do not want to buy my future EVs and subsidize t-chargers, that is a NO for me!

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Tesla's charging network is a major selling point for Tesla and a differentiating factor from other manufacturers -so they don't have any incentive to open their network even if they could charge for it.
But I totally agree that all the EV manufacturers should cross-sell the various charging networks. The charging networks should ultimately be like the gas stations - doesn't matter where EVs go to power up.
The way I think of it...yes this is a major sell for Tesla but for the majority of the people who don’t actually do long drives needing the network, it’s a nice warm blanket but not why people buy a Tesla. Tesla could charge a service fee for non-Teslas (similar to the way ATMs do across banks...making sure it is nominal enough to not raise the ire of regulators branding their network a monopoly).

As more auto manufacturers roll out electric vehicles the competition will erode Tesla’s volume. Tesla might still be #1 but with significantly reduced total marketshare. And then its charging network becomes a major profit center (think of how many companies have turned from manufacturing to services)...so long as they don’t wait too long and competing networks haven’t improved and taken hold enough to be real competition.
Sponsored

Last edited: