OP
OP

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Got my HOV OK sticker today. Here's how I plan on using it in a removable fashion on my Taycan. Found the perfect spot to tuck it away. If you didn't read above, I stick it onto a hard plastic sheet, cut to size, and then drill a hole in a strategic position for mounting.

Porsche Taycan Canadian Taycans - general discussion. IMG_1516
Porsche Taycan Canadian Taycans - general discussion. IMG_1513

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Saw this acrylic undermounting plate for the OK Decal at the dealership yesterday. Tidy and symmetrical but I think @Chowster's would pass the aerodyamic test. :)

Porsche Taycan Canadian Taycans - general discussion. OKdecal

OP
OP

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Vancouverites - @moballa @Terra and others. What's your plan for winter tires? I have swapped to full winter tires and wheels on all my cars for the past 15 years here. I was initially thinking of riding out our first winter with the Taycan with the 21" all seasons, but I'm getting a bit nervous.

I have the Cayenne with full winters on for crazy snowy days and going to Whistler, but I still need the Taycan to be safe and mobile as my daily driver.

Curious what others are planning.

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Vancouverites - @moballa @Terra and others. What's your plan for winter tires? I have swapped to full winter tires and wheels on all my cars for the past 15 years here. I was initially thinking of riding out our first winter with the Taycan with the 21" all seasons, but I'm getting a bit nervous.

I have the Cayenne with full winters on for crazy snowy days and going to Whistler, but I still need the Taycan to be safe and mobile as my daily driver.

I have always relied on the fabulous all-weather Nokian WRG3 on all our vehicles except for our Whistler weekend warrior Q5 where I have full winters. Unfortunately, the Nokians are not available for the 20" Turbo Aeros, so like you, I will ride it out and see how they do. My Taycan's all seasons are fitted with M+S rubber so at least I can avoid a ticket during a winter tire-check on the highways.

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag

Likewise, I always make sure I have winter tires.. as I travel north quite a bit. I have 20's on mine so just going to get a set of winter rubber mounted these rims and get a new set of rims for spring and put the current rubber on those.

Definitely don't want to be without winter tires..

OP
OP

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Likewise, I always make sure I have winter tires.. as I travel north quite a bit. I have 20's on mine so just going to get a set of winter rubber mounted these rims and get a new set of rims for spring and put the current rubber on those.

Definitely don't want to be without winter tires..
Well I changed my mind guys. Just ordered a set of Porsche winter wheels/tires from the dealer. After driving my family around in some seriously heavy rain these past couple weeks and plowing through some deep puddles on 99, I figured safety better prevail over vanity for the winter months. I'll decide what to do with summer wheels and tires next year or thereafter.

Bit the bullet and ordered the 20" tequipment wheels, painted black. Got decent pricing - PM me if you're interested... but I'm sure you likely got the same offers.

Porsche Taycan Canadian Taycans - general discussion. TE20Q2CIX0101_1_low_20-Zoll_Taycan_Tequipment_Design_Winterkomplettradsatz_lackiert_in_Schwarz

OP
OP

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Had to wait for my son at baseball in Abbotsford today, so I decided to test out the 350kW Petro-Canada charging station (located at the Whatcom road exit by Castle Fun Park).

Super easy to start the charge, didn't need the app. Just tapped my phone to charge one of my Apple pay cards. Rate is 27 cents per minute, no matter the charge rate.

Arrived at 56%, charged at just over 100kWh until about 80%, and then quickly throttled down to about 60kWh. My car took in 37.3kWh in 24 minutes, costing $6.71, and I made it up to 94%. That's 18 cents per kWh, which is MORE expensive than the 14 cents that BC Hydro charges us for home charging.

I heard that the 350kW charges will pump out 200-250kWh when the battery is below 50%. That will be much faster and more cost effective at the per minute rate. So my calculations says that will be meet the advertised 22 minutes to charge from 20%-80%. For less than $6 (12 cents/kWh)!

All in all, a great experience that gives me confidence in using the Petro-Can public charging network in the future.

My BC Hydro experience has been lackluster, with many failed charging attempts. I live near a 50kW station (free!) but our charge success is sporadic at best.

Porsche Taycan Canadian Taycans - general discussion. IMG_1589

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FYI, Vancouverites - I recently took a trip to Vernon and planned my route so that I could hit the free Electrify Canada stations in Merritt on my way there and in Kelowna on my way back. This is my first EV so didn't know what to expect. I certainly was looking at my SOC % often! Range anxiety is a thing!

I stopped at the Petro Canada in Hope just for added safety on my virgin trip...turns out, I really didn't need to stop in Hope as the trip from Coquitlam to Merritt took 67% overall. Once in Merritt, I went to the Electrify Canada station behind the Canadian Tire only to have no luck charging there! I tried all 4 pumps and both ports per pump starting with the 350kw pump and they all failed with error code VEHICLE_JINSIGNAL_REMOVED. I called the 1-800 number on the pump and was connected with someone in the US at Electrify America. They rebooted the pumps several times and they had no idea what is wrong with all these pumps. They apologized and told me someone would look at the logs and go to the station to fix. They also suggested it might be a problem with Porsche and that I should report it to them. You would think that given the same ownership, Porsche and Electrify would work first try!

Luckily, the Petro Canada station is 100 meters away across the street and filled up to 91% for $4.30. No problems at all with Petro Canada pumps.

On my way back from Vernon, I passed through Kelowna and stopped at the Electrify Canada station at the Kelowna Canadian Tire. This station works! I used the 350kw charger and filled up from 39% to 93% in 29 minutes. I was expecting it to go faster but as noted on this forum, once you hit 80% SOC, it throttles down the juice delivery. Didn't care about waiting, as I needed to pickup some car detailing items from Canadian Tire to pamper my Taycan. (FYI - I used the "Charging America" iOS app, logged in with my Porsche ID, and it recognized my free subscription, selected the charger, and bingo, it started charging for free)

Left Kelowna and went to Merritt to try out the Electrify Canada station again, but same error as earlier in the day so left and went back to the Petro Canada, juiced up, and drove home without stopping in Hope.

Interesting observation is that from Coquitlam to Merritt it used 67% of battery but on the way back from Merritt to Coquitlam, it used only 54%. Going up the Coquihalla and gaining elevation certainly gets reflected in energy consumption. By my calculations, it may be possible to fill up to 100% at the Electrify Canada station in Kelowna and drive all the way back to Coquitlam on one tank leaving you with 14% SOC on arrival - but given the extra time it takes to juice up past 80%, it may be just the same to fill up a bit in Kelowna and again in Merritt.

Anyway - just a bit of info if fellow Vancouverites are headed to the Okanagan.

If anyone goes to Merritt, please try the Electrify Canada pumps as it is a key spot for my travels and it would be good to know if it works for other Taycan owners and if not, please log a ticket with EC in hopes they get it fixed some day.

OP
OP

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
FYI, Vancouverites - I recently took a trip to Vernon and planned my route so that I could hit the free Electrify Canada stations in Merritt on my way there and in Kelowna on my way back. This is my first EV so didn't know what to expect. I certainly was looking at my SOC % often! Range anxiety is a thing!
Really great info Marco, thanks for this! We should really change this thread to BC Taycan Chat.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
For canadian taycan owners without sports sound option from the factory, does the car make any start up sounds or sounds to warn pedestrians?

HCPro

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf
Country flag
Just want to jump in and say hi - i'm Henry one of the Porsche Pro's over at PC Vancouver and have had the pleasure of meeting a few of you in this thread. Hope all has been well with your cars and Porsche Connect has actually been connecting :CWL:

Never knew this forum existed but happy to jump in and provide support for any of you!

^ As for above all Taycan's have pedestrian warning sounds for safety, however with electric sport sound it is much more pronounced when turned on or in sport plus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
Just want to jump in and say hi - i'm Henry one of the Porsche Pro's over at PC Vancouver and have had the pleasure of meeting a few of you in this thread. Hope all has been well with your cars and Porsche Connect has actually been connecting :CWL:

Never knew this forum existed but happy to jump in and provide support for any of you!

^ As for above all Taycan's have pedestrian warning sounds for safety, however with electric sport sound it is much more pronounced when turned on or in sport plus
Hi HCPro!

I was wondering if the Active Parking Support will be available for the MY2021 Taycan's in Canada.

I think a few people had mentioned that it won't be but would be nice to get a confirmation.

Not a big deal at the end of the day but a nice to have for the price we will be paying.

Thanks and welcome!

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Hi HCPro!

I was wondering if the Active Parking Support will be available for the MY2021 Taycan's in Canada.

I think a few people had mentioned that it won't be but would be nice to get a confirmation.

Not a big deal at the end of the day but a nice to have for the price we will be paying.

Thanks and welcome!
And if not, why? Other cars available in Canada have a similar feature. My dealer told me it wasn’t available due to regulations. Not sure I buy that. I would have added the option if it was on the list (it wasn’t on his MY2021 tool).

HCPro

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf
Country flag
Hi HCPro!

Thanks and welcome!
As far as I know we aren't going to see the MY2021 launch with this feature. Its not on any of our MY21 changes guide. The Cayenne was supposed to get automatic self parking for the new generation but it never came to at least in Canada.

I don't think its a regulations thing as Audi has it as well as VW

Perhaps over the air update to add functionality in future? Nobody knows
Sponsored