Salary sacrifice 4s vs Turbo

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
I think cost would be even lower if you take out NI and pension contributions
Completely forgot about NI, you are absolutely correct and with NI going up that actually cost is even less via lease (sorry, too lazy to check new NI rates).
Sponsored

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Regarding Salary Sacrifice and to check my own understanding; assuming the monthly repayment is £1100 as stated earlier, if this was taken as Salary you would actually get £605 (assuming 45% higher tax bracket which is probably fair considering the car). So that means the actual cost over 3 years is £21,780. Are people saying they think the Taycan (with extras to get to £1100) will loose less than £21,780 after 3 years? I would think the chances of it losing more than this are high, but I might be wrong. Via the lease, no risk. Not sure when the purchase route would pay off, but I guess it’s some point between 6 and 9 years.
Are you sure it is £1,100 pm gross? That seems more like the net (after tax / NI). If you are interested in total cost you need to consider the PID. Currently 45% tax on 2% BIK of car total value p.a.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you sure it is £1,100 pm gross? That seems more like the net (after tax / NI). If you are interested in total cost you need to consider the PID. Currently 45% tax on 2% BIK of car total value p.a.
Not sure, but £1100 is about right after VAT (no tax and NI at that stage and employer claims back VAT). You sacrifice this amount to be paid to the leasing company (hence you save the tax and employees NI and Employer saves on NI). True about the 2% BIK but this will be offset at least a little by the NI (is it 3%) saving. Rough numbers. So what depreciation should we expect?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Not sure, but £1100 is about right after VAT (no tax and NI at that stage and employer claims back VAT). You sacrifice this amount to be paid to the leasing company (hence you save the tax and employees NI and Employer saves on NI). True about the 2% BIK but this will be offset at least a little by the NI (is it 3%) saving. Rough numbers. So what depreciation should we expect?
I have an RWD salary sacrificed. £1100 pm is a lot lower than what I am paying gross to the lease company and mine is a RWD optioned to £98.5k.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have an RWD salary sacrificed. £1100 pm is a lot lower than what I am paying gross to the lease company and mine is a RWD optioned to £98.5k.
I was looking at about £91k with extras, and after VAT £1100 is about right. Looking at drivingelectric.com, they reckon approx 66% residual value after 3 years, which would mean our target is to better £31k depreciation. Not such a big difference, but a little cheaper to lease with no risk(but no reward if values hold up).

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the figure of £1000 (or there about) for a decently specced 4S or GTS would be the net salary sacrifice value. (Assuming a 40 or 45% tax bracket).

The other bits included in the employee salary sacrifice scheme (leasing company) are maintenance, road assistance and insurance. This probably has a value of about £70-£90 per month.

I too have just (09 June) signed up to a salary sacrifice scheme for a 4S, delivery expectation Sep 2023… and the wait begins.

Car Value: £103,650
Net Salary sacrifice: £990
Gross Figure: £1625

Last edited:

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was looking at about £91k with extras, and after VAT £1100 is about right. Looking at drivingelectric.com, they reckon approx 66% residual value after 3 years, which would mean our target is to better £31k depreciation. Not such a big difference, but a little cheaper to lease with no risk(but no reward if values hold up).
Just checked an old quote from Porsche, was actually £1500 a month (no details but I believe for the car I spec’d at about £91k), so £1200 a month after VAT. So number creep brings it a little closer.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just checked an old quote from Porsche, was actually £1500 a month (no details but I believe for the car I spec’d at about £91k), so £1200 a month after VAT. So number creep brings it a little closer.
So that’s about £640 actuall value, so including BIK that’s about £9180 a year. Over 3 years, that’s £28k, so now really close to the predicted £31k depreciation. I guess it’s about risk appetite, battery degradation and how long you plan to keep it. Maths are tight.

OP
OP
Mattyh

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
Regarding Salary Sacrifice and to check my own understanding; assuming the monthly repayment is £1100 as stated earlier, if this was taken as Salary you would actually get £605 (assuming 45% higher tax bracket which is probably fair considering the car). So that means the actual cost over 3 years is £21,780. Are people saying they think the Taycan (with extras to get to £1100) will loose less than £21,780 after 3 years? I would think the chances of it losing more than this are high, but I might be wrong. Via the lease, no risk. Not sure when the purchase route would pay off, but I guess it’s some point between 6 and 9 years.
The £1100 is after the saving. So it’s something like £1800 before tax, then £1100 is actually taken from my take home pay

OP
OP
Mattyh

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
So mines a gts saloon £110k
Net sacrifice £1136 I think

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Just my musings on the original topic and it’s all very subjective but, for me, if I had my time again to do this, I’d go for the Turbo. I understand, intellectually, that the 4S is very rapid and plenty so that I could easily land myself in jail or hospital, potentially both but it just doesn’t feel that quick to me. It lacks that visceral edge for me that renders it a bit less special than I’d hoped. It’s not as though I’m not driving it with some gusto, shall we say. I’m just about to get 4 new tyres at 10,000 miles.

First world problems indeed and, as I say, it’s a subjective thing but if you can make it work, I’d say have the turbo.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Just my musings on the original topic and it’s all very subjective but, for me, if I had my time again to do this, I’d go for the Turbo. I understand, intellectually, that the 4S is very rapid and plenty so that I could easily land myself in jail or hospital, potentially both but it just doesn’t feel that quick to me. It lacks that visceral edge for me that renders it a bit less special than I’d hoped. It’s not as though I’m not driving it with some gusto, shall we say. I’m just about to get 4 new tyres at 10,000 miles.
Have you always felt that about it, or did it make a more visceral impression in the beginning? When I test drove a 4S it felt like it accelerated harder than I felt comfortable doing (my reference point being my Cayenne e-Hybrid which in timed tests was only around 0.7s slower to 60). Yet I talked myself in to a Turbo, which I've only now had 5 days, and- though it definitely goes significantly harder than a 4S- hasn't (yet!) felt such a visceral step up from a 4S as the 4S did from the Cayenne. I'm wondering if there is some acclimation going on, which would even apply to moving to a Turbo S from a Turbo and so on until one renders oneself unconscious with something capable of intolerable g's 😁

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Have you always felt that about it, or did it make a more visceral impression in the beginning? When I test drove a 4S it felt like it accelerated harder than I felt comfortable doing (my reference point being my Cayenne e-Hybrid which in timed tests was only around 0.7s slower to 60). Yet I talked myself in to a Turbo, which I've only now had 5 days, and- though it definitely goes significantly harder than a 4S- hasn't (yet!) felt such a visceral step up from a 4S as the 4S did from the Cayenne. I'm wondering if there is some acclimation going on, which would even apply to moving to a Turbo S from a Turbo and so on until one renders oneself unconscious with something capable of intolerable g's 😁
Hi WVT,

Please accept my apologies for such a tardy reply, life has a terrible habit of getting in the way!

I was impressed with it on the test drive (admittedly it was teeming with rain) and particularly 0-30 with that instant electric response. It’s in subsequent use that I find it’s all a bit lacking in drama and soul so that I’m either emotionally blind to how rapid it is or it’s really just lacking a bit of something. Not in any way to denigrate it but for me I think the turbo would be able to elicit a bit more of a primal response from me rather than the “yeah, ok, that’s fine” I feel a lot of the time.

As said, it’s very subjective and intellectually I understand it’s very quick. I just wish it made a bit more of it I suppose. Hard to nail down the bit that’s missing for me.

OP
OP
Mattyh

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
When I drove the 4s it was quick off the mark but above 60 I was a little underwhelmed, esp as I’ve had a lot of quick cars, but it didn’t feel any quicker than a stage 1 Golf r I once had. For some this would be plenty but I felt spending this much on a car I needed more. Drove the gts and it blew me away. Definitely felt quicker and could feel that extra torque and it was only £80 more per minute month so I ordered one. I’d love a turbo of course but it was too much extra per month
Sponsored