4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
It's time, I'm ready (I think) to make the trip north on the coast highway, through Big Sur, to Monterey. Overnights planned in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Monterey. Not sure it is do-able yet, but would drive back from Monterey in one day.

I have the RWD and PB+. Did a quick consult of ABRP which suggests I can get to Monterey with only 2 charging stops.

My current concerns are:

1. Reliability of the charging stations. All I need is for them to not perform and then my wife, a Tesla owner, will be all over me for buying this car and she'll try to take over the process, making me feel impotent.

2. The ability to get back from Monterey in one day

I'll gladly post progress and findings here if there is interest.

MORE IMPORTANTLY….if you have any advice for me (including charging stations around Santa Barbara, SLO, or Monterey worth seeking out), please let me know.
Sponsored

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
You should not have any problems. I live in the San Fernando Valley and I just travelled to Santa Ynez (stayed in Santa Barbara). There are EA charges in Camarillo by the Outlet mall-I use them all the time-no problem. In Santa Barbara (Goleta) there are approximately 10 chargers next to the Costco. Your next stop would be Santa Ynez (4 chargers)-I had no problem charging there. I think there is another EA charging location at the outlet mall in Pismo Beach which is just before San Luis Obispo. I don't think you will have any issues.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
You absolutely can get between SD and Monterey in 1 day. I've done LA-Monterey in one day easily with my RWD/PB+. ABRP says it's a 7hr trip for SD, including charging stops.

Main advice I would have for you is to check PlugShare the day before or day of your trip to make sure your planned charging stops are operating normally.

The last leg up to Monterey can feel a bit iffy since there are no charging stations along the 1, so just make sure you have enough per ABRP. Otherwise, it's a beautiful drive along the coast.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should not have any problems. I live in the San Fernando Valley and I just travelled to Santa Ynez (stayed in Santa Barbara). There are EA charges in Camarillo by the Outlet mall-I use them all the time-no problem. In Santa Barbara (Goleta) there are approximately 10 chargers next to the Costco. Your next stop would be Santa Ynez (4 chargers)-I had no problem charging there. I think there is another EA charging location at the outlet mall in Pismo Beach which is just before San Luis Obispo. I don't think you will have any issues.
Thank you! I am having range anxiety for the passage from Cambria to Monterey along the coast. All I see are Tesla chargers. Since driving along the coast is the priority, I am trying to verify I'll have enough range and I cannot get ABRP to show that route - it wants to show the fastest route only. Thoughts about that?

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You absolutely can get between SD and Monterey in 1 day. I've done LA-Monterey in one day easily with my RWD/PB+. ABRP says it's a 7hr trip for SD, including charging stops.

Main advice I would have for you is to check PlugShare the day before or day of your trip to make sure your planned charging stops are operating normally.

The last leg up to Monterey can feel a bit iffy since there are no charging stations along the 1, so just make sure you have enough per ABRP. Otherwise, it's a beautiful drive along the coast.
Yes that "iffy" route is what I am most concerned about! "Iffy" won't fly with my wife. Can you tell me how to coax ABRP to show the Route 1 option? It defaults to fastest route and I don't know how to change it.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yes that "iffy" route is what I am most concerned about! "Iffy" won't fly with my wife. Can you tell me how to coax ABRP to show the Route 1 option? It defaults to fastest route and I don't know how to change it.
You can right click along the desired route and add it as a waypoint.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Good luck & i;m looking forward to read/see your report/photos :like:
(22 years ago, i went from SF to Monterey, then next day to LA…it was great trip, even without mobile phones, without navigation….only compass and paper based map ;))

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'll also add that if you are interested and/or need a few % charge, you can stop at Hearst Castle in San Simeon which is along the 1 up to Monterey. They have 10 or so L2 chargers in their parking lot for free use.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can right click along the desired route and add it as a waypoint.
Yes I've tried that but its not convincing the app to change the route. I'll keep wrestling with it. Comforting to hear from others I am probably just over-paranoid about this.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yes I've tried that but its not convincing the app to change the route. I'll keep wrestling with it. Comforting to hear from others I am probably just over-paranoid about this.
Not sure about the app, I was referring to the website. Regardless though, you can just input San Simeon as a waypoint and that should do it.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
AARGH!

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 11.34.58 AM

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure about the app, I was referring to the website. Regardless though, you can just input San Simeon as a waypoint and that should do it.
pls see screenshot i just posted using your advice….

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
pls see screenshot i just posted using your advice….
Check your settings in the hamburger menu. That is a much longer route to take, not sure why it's suggesting that:

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 1658961701032

Alternatively you can add Big Sur as a waypoint...

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check your settings in the hamburger menu. That is a much longer route to take, not sure why it's suggesting that:

1658961701032.png

Alternatively you can add Big Sur as a waypoint...
Thanks for running that for me. Its comforting. I will try to figure why it won't give me the same view. I did try the hamburger options. They should have an option "avoid highways" but I did not see one.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Finally! Thanks for your help @submatrix. Looks like I can make it with plenty of charge.

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.01.06 PM
Sponsored