daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
once you get to SLO charging opportunities only get better south on the way to San Diego - the dicey part is south of Monterey/Salinas - until you hit Paso/SLO - if you leave Monterey "full/near full" you just have to make it to SLO - and 30% buffer is a lot to play with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Just to close the loop on this, this is the route I have coming back from Monterey. Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'll be OK!

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 1.00.36 PM

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update - we are in Monterey! Thanks to everyone that pitched in with advice. I'll post a more complete review when I get home but as far as charging goes, it was pretty much smooth sailing. I charged up in Ventura and again in Pismo Beach. Although the station at Pismo (5 cities mall) was rated up to 350 kw, I was getting instead a lightning fast 69kw. I left that station with 95% charge and made it up Route 1 to Monterey with 37% battery remaining and 100 mile range! No need for range anxiety. Heading back home tomorrow.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a final recap of my trip. Happy to answer any questions. Bottom line is that it was a lot easier than I thought! Pics at bottom of thread.

San Diego to Ventura - charged up at Pacific View Mall. First attempt failed, second attempt worked.

Ventura to Solvang (outside Santa Barbara). Topped off on Old Mission Road.

Solvang to SLO. Filled up at Pismo Premium Outlets. The 350kw chargers were incredibly slow. I called EA and they said "we have a ticket on those chargers and are aware of the problem." We stayed at Madonna Inn. Highly recommended!

From SLO to Monterey along Route 1 (the highlight!). Arrived in Monterey with 100 extra miles of range. Charged at grocery store lot at 1212 Forest. No issues.

From Monterey back home, stopped again at Pismo Outlets and once more at Culver City Mall. Made it home on one day and two charges. Took 101 to I-450 to I-5.

I did seek out 350kw chargers but it seems even when I got a successful connection, the speed never exceeded 150kw no matter the conditions. That was disappointing but consistent with the comments of other drivers I met along the way, including cars that could take up to 270kw.

I never paid for a charge, getting what I needed within the free 30 mins provided.

Enjoy the pics and thanks again for being my co-pilot!

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_6444

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_6389

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_9010

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_9003

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_6429

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 IMG_6446

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Thx for photos… you brought back memories from my trip 20 years ago.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Here's a final recap of my trip. Happy to answer any questions. Bottom line is that it was a lot easier than I thought! Pics at bottom of thread.

San Diego to Ventura - charged up at Pacific View Mall. First attempt failed, second attempt worked.

Ventura to Solvang (outside Santa Barbara). Topped off on Old Mission Road.

Solvang to SLO. Filled up at Pismo Premium Outlets. The 350kw chargers were incredibly slow. I called EA and they said "we have a ticket on those chargers and are aware of the problem." We stayed at Madonna Inn. Highly recommended!

From SLO to Monterey along Route 1 (the highlight!). Arrived in Monterey with 100 extra miles of range. Charged at grocery store lot at 1212 Forest. No issues.

From Monterey back home, stopped again at Pismo Outlets and once more at Culver City Mall. Made it home on one day and two charges. Took 101 to I-450 to I-5.

I did seek out 350kw chargers but it seems even when I got a successful connection, the speed never exceeded 150kw no matter the conditions. That was disappointing but consistent with the comments of other drivers I met along the way, including cars that could take up to 270kw.

I never paid for a charge, getting what I needed within the free 30 mins provided.

Enjoy the pics and thanks again for being my co-pilot!

IMG_6444.jpeg

IMG_6389.jpeg

IMG_9010.jpeg

IMG_9003.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6446.jpeg
glad it all went well - this EV road tripping thing can work with a little planing.