tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Guide points are worth understanding as well on ABRP. Their purpose is to influence a route without adding unnecessary waypoints into your trip.

The problem with using a waypoint to influence a route – is that you may not want to stop at the actual waypoints.

Here is an example using my native Ireland. Imagine I want to go between two towns: Dublin and Cork.

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.00

Okay, all good so far. Note that I haven't hit "plot route" button yet. Now let's say we want to go via a town called Waterford, which is on the lower right of the island. But we don't want to stop there - just go in that direction.

I just hover the mouse over the area I want to pass through – doesn't have to be too specific – and right click.

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.18

Notice the place I dropped the pin isn't any where too special – that's okay with guide points. I hit the "Add Guidepoint" button (and not the default Add Waypoint).

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.24

Okay, the route is looking good and guide point is influencing things in the right way. I now hit the "calculate/plot route" button as normal.

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.36

And that's it – its plotted a route – including adding an IONITY charging stop. But the guidepoint is not on my route list.

When you drive near the town where I put the guidepoint – you are not going to get directions to bring you to some arbitrary waypoint in the centre of the town or whatever. In this case you'll get routed around the orbital road that circles most large Irish towns.

It just influenced the route but not the stops.

Pretty cool, eh?

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Guide points are worth understanding as well on ABRP. Their purpose is to influence a route without adding unnecessary waypoints into your trip.

The problem with using a waypoint to influence a route – is that you may not want to stop at the actual waypoints.

Here is an example using my native Ireland. Imagine I want to go between two towns: Dublin and Cork.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.00.png

Okay, all good so far. Note that I haven't hit "plot route" button yet. Now let's say we want to go via a town called Waterford, which is on the lower right of the island. But we don't want to stop there - just go in that direction.

I just hover the mouse over the area I want to pass through – doesn't have to be too specific – and right click.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.18.png

Notice the place I dropped the pin isn't any where too special – that's okay with guide points. I hit the "Add Guidepoint" button (and not the default Add Waypoint).

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.24.png

Okay, the route is looking good and guide point is influencing things in the right way. I now hit the "calculate/plot route" button as normal.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.36.png

And that's it – its plotted a route – including adding an IONITY charging stop. But the guidepoint is not on my route list.

When you drive near the town where I put the guidepoint – you are not going to get directions to bring you to some arbitrary waypoint in the centre of the town or whatever.

Pretty cool, eh?
Yes indeed! If I understand your (way) point, I did finally learn how to add a waypoint (Big Sur) on the advice of an earlier post and it finally put me on the road I want to take along our California coast. There aren't a lot of options to do this - its Highway 101 (several charging stations shown) or the coast highway ("Route 1" shown in blue). But there is a HUGE difference in what you'll have for scenery.

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.01.06 PM

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Yes indeed! If I understand your (way) point, I did finally learn how to add a waypoint (Big Sur) on the advice of an earlier post and it finally put me on the road I want to take along our California coast. There aren't a lot of options to do this - its Highway 101 or the coast highway ("Route 1" shown in blue). But there is a HUGE difference in what you'll have for scenery.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.01.06 PM.png
I've driven the 101 from Astoria down to Santa Monica – spectacular. Unfortunately not in a Taycan - in a horrible Nissan rental.

Enjoy it and post lots of pictures!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.00.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.18.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.24.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.34.36.png

When you drive near the town where I put the guidepoint – you are not going to get directions to bring you to some arbitrary waypoint in the centre of the town or whatever. In this case you'll get routed around the orbital road that circles most large Irish towns.

Pretty cool, eh?
That's neat! Practically speaking though, it seems like if you add a waypoint on the highway you want to drive on, it's effectively the same thing.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Daughter woke up this morning and had positive COVID test. Trip postponed!

:swear:😭☹

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The trip is back on! Daughter recovered quickly and so we plan to leave Sunday.

I've mapped out all locations of needed chargers and put the address in my iCal so I can tell Siri to navigate directly there. I checked all locations on PlugShare to verify they are working.

Several said "CHAdeMO is not working but CCS/SAE is working." From a quick google search I presume that's not an issue for me.

Can someone advise if I am missing any other sensible steps to prepare for this adventure?!

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm unaware of many/any? CCS chargers on the Hwy 1 route between Cambria and Monterey - where do you plan to charge up before heading out to morro bay and then north on 1? and what is the distance

I've done that drive _A LOT_ in a Tesla - but plug share doesn't show me a lot of CCS charger

distance may not be an issue and the road is way slower than 60 mph in many places, so consumption will be muted…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ABRP shows a Taycan @ 90% starting battery arriving in Monterey @ 37% battery - so it's an easy run - but plug share shows _NO_ CCS chargers between morro bay and Monterey on the Hwy 1 north/south route - 90 - 37% is 53% consumption for that segment - so plan accordingly before you wave good bye to Morro Bay in the rear view

the drive is gorgous!!!

Reactions: B61

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm unaware of many/any? CCS chargers on the Hwy 1 route between Cambria and Monterey - where do you plan to charge up before heading out to morro bay and then north on 1? and what is the distance

I've done that drive _A LOT_ in a Tesla - but plug share doesn't show me a lot of CCS charger

distance may not be an issue and the road is way slower than 60 mph in many places, so consumption will be muted…

I've just started planning my return from Monterey and here is the ABR route for that:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=00775124-cc1c-4b99-b1f3-303e493e9253

It shows three stops - Paso Robles, "Countryside Market," and Santa Clarita. What's frustrating me in ABRP is it is not showing specific addresses, and PlugShare doesn't know what Countryside Market means.....What am I missing?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is the CCS charging situation on the Hwy route according to my plug-share

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 11281112-CEC5-42F8-A975-1726A377C24D

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've just started planning my return from Monterey and here is the ABR route for that:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=00775124-cc1c-4b99-b1f3-303e493e9253

It shows three stops - Paso Robles, "Countryside Market," and Santa Clarita. What's frustrating me in ABRP is it is not showing specific addresses, and PlugShare doesn't know what Countryside Market means.....What am I missing?
there is an EA 350 kW charger in Paso - I've used it before - it's in the bank of america parking lot near the town square - one sec I'll get you the address.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Paso Robles - EA charger

626 16th St
Paso Robles, CA 93446
United States

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ABRP shows a Taycan @ 90% starting battery arriving in Monterey @ 37% battery - so it's an easy run - but plug share shows _NO_ CCS chargers between morro bay and Monterey on the Hwy 1 north/south route - 90 - 37% is 53% consumption for that segment - so plan accordingly before you wave good bye to Morro Bay in the rear view

the drive is gorgous!!!

This shows I can make it from SLO to Monterey on one charge. Am I reading it right? I put in Taycan RWD 93 kw (which I assume is PB+)?

Porsche Taycan San Diego to Monterey 8/7-9 Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.01.06 PM

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hwy 1 south to hwy 46 east into Paso Robles should be very doable, but honestly if you top off in monterey you can do hwy 1 south all the way to morro bay - and then go east to San Luis Obispo - there is good charging in San Luis and Pismo - many choices...
Sponsored