bwt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wondered if anyone has experienced or has knowledge of how satnav can apparently change the range calculation.

I am in the alps and the last 40k up the valley to my destination is on steep mountain roads. There is an Ionity charger 40k from the start of the steep climb. So 80k from the charger to my destination at the top of the mountain road. Yesterday I thought I should allow say 120k of range from my charge to be comfortable to do the 80k trip. There is an AC charger at my destination.

Whilst charging, when I set the satnav to my destination at the top of the mountain climb, the range on the display dropped by 25%. If I switched satnav off, the range rose by 25%. With satnav off, the range looked about right with 50% charge equating to around 165k range.. With satnav on, that dropped to 110k range.

When I set off from charging with 55% charge, satnav predicted 8% charge remaining at the destination, so around 2k per 1% charge which, on normal roads, is too low.

However, that is exactly what happened.

The only explanation I can think of is that satnav can somehow distinguish elevation/climbs in its range alogorithm.

Does anyone know if that is the case or has had similar experiences?

All insights gratefully received.

Cheers
Sponsored

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
It's exactly what you're saying, and that is intentional. The navigation knows road speeds and has detailed elevation information. All that combined with typical driving behaviour through curves / corners is taken into account to calculate the range estimates. If you don't give it a destination, the car falls back only on recent driving and ambient conditions.

It's remarkably accurate. If you don't significantly change your driving style, the estimate your car gives you when you put in a destination and follow the route is often dead on.

OP
OP

bwt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Many thanks Ambroos. Another mystery solved!

Cheers

Cyberdriver888

First Name
Håkon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
It's exactly what you're saying, and that is intentional. The navigation knows road speeds and has detailed elevation information. All that combined with typical driving behaviour through curves / corners is taken into account to calculate the range estimates. If you don't give it a destination, the car falls back only on recent driving and ambient conditions.

It's remarkably accurate. If you don't significantly change your driving style, the estimate your car gives you when you put in a destination and follow the route is often dead on.
+1
Coming from Tesla, this is one of the upgrades with Taycan. You can actually trust the estimate. Both kilometers left in main display and the battery left at end destination.
Sponsored