Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
As a side note I'm worried we are reaching a stupid level of horsepower for the average driver. My Turbo S is absurdly fast and has caught me off guard several times.
I almost got myself in trouble with a 4S demo car on the highway. I wanted to move over a lane to my right, and to keep from cutting anybody off, I wanted to speed up a bit and get some separation before doing the lane change. I put my foot down, checked my blind spot, looked back in front, and I was fixing to ram the guy I'd been following. Needed an extremely abrupt lane change to avoid an accident. When I got over and took a breath, I was going 95, and this was after having my foot completely off the accelerator for a few seconds.

I fear regulation might start limiting horsepower in the future.
It already limits speed, which is why very few German cars go faster than 155 even though many are capable of it. Tesla's probably going to force regulators in the US to make it a formal rule.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Looking at the vids and reading the reviews, it's an incredibly impressive feat of engineering.....especially for the price.

I take my hat off to Tesla for making it happen. And it does seem like a huge improvement in many areas over the standard Model S.

I would imagine it will also make every diehard petrolhead stop dead in their tracks and wake up and smell the roses.
A sort of halo model for EVs.

I still wouldn't want a Tesla for my own reasons. Just like I don't have an iPhone / I pad, but am grateful to Apple / Steve Jobs for inventing them and making it mainstream.

And ultimately I don't need a car that does 0-60 in 2 seconds as I never track cars.

Last edited:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I almost got myself in trouble with a 4S demo car on the highway. I wanted to move over a lane to my right, and to keep from cutting anybody off, I wanted to speed up a bit and get some separation before doing the lane change. I put my foot down, checked my blind spot, looked back in front, and I was fixing to ram the guy I'd been following. Needed an extremely abrupt lane change to avoid an accident. When I got over and took a breath, I was going 95, and this was after having my foot completely off the accelerator for a few seconds.

It already limits speed, which is why very few German cars go faster than 155 even though many are capable of it. Tesla's probably going to force regulators in the US to make it a formal rule.
I'm less worried about the top speed, and more worried about the 0-100mph acceleration. When that only takes a couple of seconds, people can get into trouble fast. Whether punching it as a passing maneuver or just showing off to friends, hitting 100mph on normal roads in an instant is really dangerous.

In the past this has been mostly limited to cars that are out of reach of average drivers (not that wealthy drivers are any better, but at least there were very few cars on the road). In a few years people will be able to pick up the fastest accelerating car in the world for under $100k.

RY01

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ducati
Country flag
I'm less worried about the top speed, and more worried about the 0-100mph acceleration. When that only takes a couple of seconds, people can get into trouble fast. Whether punching it as a passing maneuver or just showing off to friends, hitting 100mph on normal roads in an instant is really dangerous.

In the past this has been mostly limited to cars that are out of reach of average drivers (not that wealthy drivers are any better, but at least there were very few cars on the road). In a few years people will be able to pick up the fastest accelerating car in the world for under $100k.
To be honest nothing is going to be done and nobody is going to be worried.

To put this into perspective, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki have been selling 200mph 9 second squid missiles for the better part of 2 decades for $16,000 brand new. It comes standard with 2 less wheels, no safety equipment, and a tasty price tag a testosterone pumped 19 year old fresh off a MSF course could afford.

No acts of Congress, no public outrage, not even a 60 minute prime time special with Dan Rather.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
As a side note I'm worried we are reaching a stupid level of horsepower for the average driver. My Turbo S is absurdly fast and has caught me off guard several times...
That was my experience on the Hockenheimring. Not suitable for regular driving, too much instant power...

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
To put this into perspective, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki have been selling 200mph 9 second squid missiles for the better part of 2 decades for $16,000 brand new. It comes standard with 2 less wheels, no safety equipment, and a tasty price tag a testosterone pumped 19 year old fresh off a MSF course could afford.
You wreck on a bike at 200mph, you probably don't even hurt anyone but yourself.

You wreck on a 4500lb electric car with 2 kids in the back seat, and you probably kill or seriously injure at least 4 or 5 people.

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You wreck on a bike at 200mph, you probably don't even hurt anyone but yourself.

You wreck on a 4500lb electric car with 2 kids in the back seat, and you probably kill or seriously injure at least 4 or 5 people.
Think that’s a bit of a stretch. Seen it both ways - bikes leading to multiple collisions, cars in a high speed wreckage protecting all passengers due to safety features. Also, nobody in their right mind is drag racing on stop lights with kids in the back.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As more people get to review the Plaid, some of the magic starts to wear.

Not that it isn't a good car. Just got some hype attached, so let's see what further hype there is.

RY01

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ducati
Country flag
Jimbob,

To be honest they did 1.98 seconds 0-60 and a 9.2 sec 1/4 by NHRA standards and 2.07 seconds and a 9.3 sec 1/4 on unprepped asphalt. I don't know of any other car that can do that even under similar conditions. I don't know of any other production car that can do that even with slicks or drag radials.

I'd say that's close enough for government work ?

The 1 "foot" rollout is standard because it's the avg distance by which the front wheel on any car breaks the staging beam that's why it's used. It's not like they arbitrarily add 1 foot.

EE is just upset because he made another video claiming that it couldn't be done and it was done and now he's nitpicking.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yup, we all drive NHRA standards at the stop light.

There's an issue here that Tesla has had all along. Overstate the case for the unwary. Seen it before on EPA range ratings. It's a good car and doesn't need this. Always gotta be the biggest and bestest 'cause I am smarter than you and will lead the sheeples to the promised land.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I don't like the fact that Tesla keeps overpromising, I'm glad that I ordered the Taycan CT and not the Model S Plaid+. They already took orders for quite some time, and now just killed it, I would be pretty dissappointed, 800+km range would be practical and a real advantage over other EVs. The regular Plaid is just plain boring with normal tech.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The regular Plaid is just plain boring with normal tech.
what other vehicle has dual rear motors for independent torque vectoring and 1000 hp? I’m just curious what you consider normal tech?
Sponsored