Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I'm very concerned about all those reported software related problems.
I'd like to have a car, "up & running", not a loaner instead.
The Taycan has way more software issues than a Tesla. Can't even remember my map settings correctly.

Still wouldn't trade it for anything (sans maybe an Audi Etron GT). A model s plaid as a secondary car would be nice If they ever make a normal steering wheel.
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
AFAIK, steering wheel for Europe will be normal.

JessT24

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm very concerned about all those reported software related problems.
I'd like to have a car, "up & running", not a loaner instead.
Remember you see maybe ten or tens of owners with problems here. You don't hear from the thousands without problems. Is that still an unacceptably high number of owners with problems - yes - but the risk-reward is still very much in your favor. It would be a serious shame to miss out on what this car offers the driver.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
AFAIK, steering wheel for Europe will be normal.
Nope, it will be optional to have.
There's nothing wrong with a yoke steering wheel, at least not in the sense that it violates a certain law.
At least in my country it doesn't.
I was interested too if it was allowed, it is.

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Nope, it will be optional to have.
There's nothing wrong with a yoke steering wheel, at least not in the sense that it violates a certain law.
At least in my country it doesn't.
I was interested too if it was allowed, it is.
Probably depends on local legislations?
i’ve been told that’s not allowed in our country, but I don’t know if some EU regulations exist on that matter…

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Remember you see maybe ten or tens of owners with problems here. You don't hear from the thousands without problems. Is that still an unacceptably high number of owners with problems - yes - but the risk-reward is still very much in your favor. It would be a serious shame to miss out on what this car offers the driver.
i’m awared about that, but it’s still frustrating, isn;t it?
btw, anybody knows how many taycans have been produced by now?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
i’m awared about that, but it’s still frustrating, isn;t it?
btw, anybody knows how many taycans have been produced by now?
9000 in Q1/21
Over 20.000 last year so roughly 30.000.
One of them is mine and I had no major issue whatsoever (Taycan Turbo S, MY20, 11.000km).
I.
Love.
This.
Car! :)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Thx & congrats!
looking forward to get mine in coming weeks.
since i’m in software industry for almost 40 years, i’m confused, why some members of this forum have problems….with same “hardware & software” while others don’t…

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?
I have plenty of bias with regard to the Porsche/Tesla question; some objective and some quite subjective but I'll spare you all of that and just give an answer to your question.

NO.

NO.

NO.

Sorry, that's 3 answers, but you get the idea.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
since i’m in software industry for almost 40 years, i’m confused, why some members of this forum have problems….with same “hardware & software” while others don’t…
Because software is hard, and there's a lot of brand new software on a Taycan.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Software X on hardware Y should always work the same for every X+Y specimen. When it does not, that's either because there are in fact subtle differences between the hardware (e.g. calibration of analog components, tolerances, quality control) that exceed what the software was designed for, or because the software is poorly done (race conditions, version mismatches). There could also be truly random faults (e.g. cosmic ray flips a bit in an SRAM cell or DRAM cell and the flip goes undetected), but again, that's poor software design.

Bottom line, I fault Porsche's software team here, not the hardware.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In short, no.

Tesla is about 5 years ahead of Porsche in terms of software.

Porsche is about 10 years ahead of Tesla in everything else that makes a great car, i.e. design, build quality, materials, handling and driving dynamics.

With that said, if I wanted a (fast!) smartphone on wheels that drives itself, I would pick up the Plaid without a question. I have a very different checklist and the Taycan ticks all the boxes. It's the best complete package IMHO.

Reactions: B61

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Software X on hardware Y should always work the same for every X+Y specimen. When it does not, that's either because there are in fact subtle differences between the hardware (e.g. calibration of analog components, tolerances, quality control) that exceed what the software was designed for, or because the software is poorly done (race conditions, version mismatches). There could also be truly random faults (e.g. cosmic ray flips a bit in an SRAM cell or DRAM cell and the flip goes undetected), but again, that's poor software design.

Bottom line, I fault Porsche's software team here, not the hardware.
Yep. Along the same lines another possibility is slight configuration differences. Most modern cars have some type of "configuration file(s)" that tells the software in the vehicle which features are active, the region its in, etc. So, with a different config the software could be executing a branch of code that is causing a particular issue. Its becoming more prevelant/sophisticated now with "feature on demand", etc so even in cases where the same hardware is used the software can be configured differently. Without robust automated testing, the permutations quickly get to be way beyond what human testers are able to handle ( I don't know what Porsche does in this regard but suspect they have work to do in this area).
Sponsored