Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I don't like the fact that Tesla keeps overpromising, I'm glad that I ordered the Taycan CT and not the Model S Plaid+. They already took orders for quite some time, and now just killed it, I would be pretty dissappointed, 800+km range would be practical and a real advantage over other EVs. The regular Plaid is just plain boring with normal tech.
Plaid+ is no longer an offering.
Sponsored

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
what other vehicle has dual rear motors for independent torque vectoring and 1000 hp? I’m just curious what you consider normal tech?
Instead of releasing new groundbreaking battery technology they just added one more electric motor and a weird steering wheel. I'm not saying it's a bad car, just a lot less than what was promised.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
they just added one more electric motor
it's NOT just one more motor - this is a huge deal in terms of what sort of power delivery and torque vectoring can be done to improve handling and stability - independent motor control to the left and right rear wheels allows them to virtualize a mechanical differential - differentials and the mechanical limitations associated with them have been a sort of pain and pleasure for the entire automotive industry for 100's of years - and are a key characteristic of vehicle behavior and agility through corners and straight line acceleration - the sorts of things you can do in software are IMPOSSIBLE with a mechanical differential and represent a huge technical advantage over any other product in the market place, and based on the handling characteristics reviews are noting Tesla has invested int he software to properly deploy their virtualized differential…

the fact that you don't realize this and think it's "just another motor" - well…yeah. Might I humbly suggest you may be missing a big step forward - and NO ONE has any production car like this

Rimac and others have promised one, Rivian is doing 4 motors for off road - but no one is currently shipping dual independent rear motors with virtualized/dynamic limited slip differential software - well no one except Tesla…

if Porsche had done this you'd be screaming from a roof top how cool it is and how great the german's are…

it's pretty far from "normal tech".

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Instead of releasing new groundbreaking battery technology they just added one more electric motor and a weird steering wheel. I'm not saying it's a bad car, just a lot less than what was promised.
the steering wheel is an abomination…100% agree - it will get dealt with in due time.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Well, this is just my personal preference, and the extra motor is not really something that I would value in my daily use of the car, I didn't choose Torqie Vectoring Plus for my Taycan either. The Taycan has on the other hand massage/ventilated seats, hud, night vision and a possibility to pick options to own preference. If I didn't have the ability to charge in my apartments parking garage, then the range would be quite decisive when picking an EV. The same overpromising is happening with the Roadster, that keeps constantly gettting delayed. I like Porsches way of promising less than what they deliver (eg. being conservative with the 0-100km/h figures). I'm not saying that I won't buy a Tesla in the future, this is just one aspect that irritates me in Tesla. I was looking forward to the Plaid+, new battery tech would drive the industry forward, but empty promises are just unneccessary hype.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
How's this for an analogy? Plaid to the Taycan is a little bit like the GT-R to a 911. The GT-R's performance numbers are off the charts. Its styling hasn't changed in 15 years (and not in the good way like a 911), its interior is very mediocre, it's a brute to drive off the track, it's a Nissan, etc. Its one use case is phenomenal and if you want to run a spreadsheet, it looks great. But besides the petrol-heads, nobody ever did a double take when a GT-R drove by. On the other hand, a GT3 or 911 Turbo S is something special. And so is a Carrera. Everyone feels it. Owners, passerby's and yes, GT-R owners. Decades later, they still feel special - the SC's, the 3.2's, the 964's, the 993's, the...well, let's skip the 996 :giggle::rolleyes:...anyway, you get the idea! I'm glad Tesla exists and I'm happy that Plaid is advancing the technology. But just like I never cross shopped my 997.2 for a GT-R, I wouldn't cross shop the Taycan for a Tesla. Or even an Audi e-tron GT. Like the kids say, IYKYK.

RY01

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ducati
Country flag
Dave,

Not to mention the new motors don't lose power at high RPM. Produces a flat power curve (1000hp) from 60mph (6k rpm) all the way up to 200mph (20krpm). All with one gear. That something that Porsche hasent Been able to figure out without a gearbox yet ?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Would the Lucid Air Dream Edition or Grand Touring not be the more obvious competitor/comparator for the Model S Plaid, other than the small practical detail that it is not available yet?

Reactions: cfp

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
How's this for an analogy? Plaid to the Taycan is a little bit like the GT-R to a 911. The GT-R's performance numbers are off the charts. Its styling hasn't changed in 15 years (and not in the good way like a 911), its interior is very mediocre, it's a brute to drive off the track, it's a Nissan, etc. Its one use case is phenomenal and if you want to run a spreadsheet, it looks great. But besides the petrol-heads, nobody ever did a double take when a GT-R drove by. On the other hand, a GT3 or 911 Turbo S is something special. And so is a Carrera. Everyone feels it. Owners, passerby's and yes, GT-R owners. Decades later, they still feel special - the SC's, the 3.2's, the 964's, the 993's, the...well, let's skip the 996 :giggle::rolleyes:...anyway, you get the idea! I'm glad Tesla exists and I'm happy that Plaid is advancing the technology. But just like I never cross shopped my 997.2 for a GT-R, I wouldn't cross shop the Taycan for a Tesla. Or even an Audi e-tron GT. Like the kids say, IYKYK.
Heyyyyy, leave my GTR out of this. ;) I loved that car until the day I sold it. But yeah, your analogy is pretty good. I once had a guy roll down his window at a stoplight and ask what kind of Mustang it was!!

The Porsche is a much nicer car in my opinion and I have no regrets selling the GTR or not getting the Tesla. I did, however, consider a Tesla when looking for a new car that I wanted to be electric. I am not a diehard Porsche fan and only came to brand because of the Taycan. If I was making the decision now that the Plaid is available, I am not sure what I would have decided. Most likely, I still would have gone with the Turbo S I ended up buying because I like the looks of the car a lot more. Having said that, I may consider the Plaid in the future when they improve the styling and now that some of the other issues appear to be addressed - I still hate the giant iPad approach though.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
All I can say is: left foot on the brake, right foot full throttle, quickly remove left foot off the brake, enjoy.

At the same time: Tesla guy still holding down the ludicrous Button and accepting damage to battery and drivetrain.

?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All I can say is: left foot on the brake, right foot full throttle, quickly remove left foot off the brake, enjoy.

At the same time: Tesla guy still holding down the ludicrous Button and accepting damage to battery and drivetrain.

?
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-s-plaid-test-data-analysis-milestones-records/

0-60, with rollout, on non-prepped asphalt, 2.07 seconds.
0-60, no rollout, no drag mode, no pre-conditioning, no Cheetah stance: 2.45 seconds.

2.45 seconds @ stop light with no preparation…
2.07 sec requires all the 'setup'

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
what other vehicle has dual rear motors for independent torque vectoring and 1000 hp? I’m just curious what you consider normal tech?
maybe the "original 911" i.e VW Beetle as an EV :p. That is a Porsche-Tesla hybrid.

Last edited:

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-s-plaid-test-data-analysis-milestones-records/

0-60, with rollout, on non-prepped asphalt, 2.07 seconds.
0-60, no rollout, no drag mode, no pre-conditioning, no Cheetah stance: 2.45 seconds.

2.45 seconds @ stop light with no preparation…
2.07 sec requires all the 'setup'
You cant call people Tesla haters while defending every single thing people write here :D
I got respect for your experience and knowledge but you should calm down a bit :giggle:

ps: did they test that multiple times? If it's the old battery tech, that should overheat by just thinking of full throttle.
Sponsored