Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
I know those are the quoted advantages. Makes sense too.

But we don't have the end-to-end system for analysis.
Are 800V inverters the same size and weight as 400V? Are they SiC?
Are all the other systems that would usually feed from 400V heavier/lighter in the 800V world?
When it comes to marketing bullet points it looks like SiC may now be one of them used across different manufacturers as both Porsche and Lucid have confirmed their use in their respective products:

https://thedriven.io/2019/09/12/new...vide-multiple-benefits-for-electric-vehicles/

https://thedriven.io/2019/09/12/new...vide-multiple-benefits-for-electric-vehicles/

I agree that with more EV options to look at these days, you have to look into the details a bit further to understand whether some claimed new feature or technology provides a true benefit or not. It seems we were more used to this sort of scrutiny when evaluating ICE motors and technologies across different car makers, and perhaps not as much in the early days of EV’s with far fewer options and less understanding of the baseline tech being used.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When it comes to marketing bullet points it looks like SiC may now be one of them used across different manufacturers as both Porsche and Tesla have confirmed their use in their respective products:

I agree that with more EV options to look at these days, you have to look into the details a bit further to understand whether some claimed new feature or technology provides a true benefit or not. It seems we were more used to this sort of scrutiny when evaluating ICE motors and technologies across different car makers, and perhaps not as much in the early days of EV’s with far fewer options and less understanding of the baseline tech being used.
That's a very good point: for ICE motors we had a better idea of what something really meant.

For example, in the dark ages when I bought the M3 e92, the individual throttle bodies were a special feature of the engine. Supposedly helping the engine to hit higher rpm and get there faster. At 8300 it did spin pretty fast. But now I can compare with other engines and decide whether the resulting performance overall (where many other features weigh in as well) is really that much better. Note that BMW mainly focused on the rpm and hp and other resulting metrics, and featured the "how" only in the details. At the time there were other engines achieving similar performance, without the individual throttle bodies - different paths to the same performance.

Focusing on 800V is akin to only talking about the individual throttle body. They should be focusing on the core benefits. I know they keep claiming weight, but so far all EVs with 800V don't really sell that idea just yet. A different one might be charging speed. 22 min for the Taycan and 18 min for the Hyundai is definitely market leading. This is where useful comparisons can happen, IMHO.

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Did you rent from Turo? I wonder if it will be possible to test drive the LR soon. Having a Taycan now, and only one month out from driving my 2018 Model S, I'd be real curious to compare the driving experience between the 3 cars "back to back". With the reports of Plaid having massively improved handling/steering, I'm really curious how much the LR improved in this regard.
Yes, I rented from Turo. Pricey, but Tesla told me, “You’ll get a test drive when your car arrives.” LOL/sigh. I wanted to experience the yoke, and I’m very glad that I did.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
American Muscle car…seems quick enough - no two speed transmission required.

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? IMG_1586

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
While I really hope that you're right about 270 being low, there's also tons of folks on the forum here reporting lower than this as well. If I get 250-260 reliably when traveling at US highway speeds and without compromising comfort (sorry, I need AC!) or anything else (no tailgating trucks or other dumb shit), I'll be super happy.

I went with the 20" turbo aero - we'll see if I regret that or not.
You'll be fine - I get 275 on my Turbo with the 21" Mission E wheels, which are the worst wheels for range, and the powered charge port, which hurts range because they close up the side vent. That's in normal mode with non-eco AC, driving 75-80mph. You should get 280-290 miles.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You'll be fine - I get 275 on my Turbo with the 21" Mission E wheels, which are the worst wheels for range, and the powered charge port, which hurts range because they close up the side vent. That's in normal mode with non-eco AC, driving 75-80mph. You should get 280-290 miles.
Exactly, just switch off all recup options and let the car roll as much as possible...

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I charged my Turbo to 95%, and rolled down to 14% on my Mission Es (taking my powered charge ports along for the ride, lol), showing 290 actual miles on the Since Charging Trip meter. It was mostly pretty casual driving around town, a couple of launches, maybe 20% highway at 75mph, maybe 70% in Range mode, ambient temps in the upper 80s, and AC at 77 degrees F. So, not worst-case (or best-case) energy economy, but something well over 320 miles projected total range.

Road-tripping in warm weather appears to be unlimited in all but the most remote areas of the Mountain-zone states (and "most remote areas" unfortunately includes nearly all of Wyoming and Montana). In a few years, everything including those will be easily accessible.

I'm light-years beyond satisfied with my entire Taycan experience. I would be happier only if the boot-up and data loading were faster.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
American Muscle car…seems quick enough - no two speed transmission required.

IMG_1586.jpeg

It’s not enough that it’s faster? They have to skew the graph by starting at somewhere past 3 seconds for the reference??