Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
probably a better choice than the plaid - time will tell - but it’s clear to me:
  • people are chasing Tesla
  • Tesla is no longer going to have EV’s to themselves
  • competition is great for all of us
  • the established car guys still have some work to do…
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-lucid-air-dream-edition-r-exclusive-first-drive-review
"People" buy T because of a lack of other models. Here only a few crazy people waste their money on T. Most people buy locally manufactured cars like:

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629953960450
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954000090
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954135326
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954167417
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954186550
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954259632
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954216558
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954259632
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954310518
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954387145
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954908546
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1629954670571

And that is what I found on my dash came in less than 40 min drive. Most of these EVs come out of joint venture factories, so the quality is more or less VW level and therefore way above T junk, even compare to the stuff comes out of the Shanghai factory.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I used to be a big Tesla fan. I booked Model S in 2009, got it in 2013 and had it for 8 years before switching to Taycan. The tesla forums used to be fun and exciting. But now, tesla forums are more like QAnon forums. Crazy stuff gets said in those forums. And like Mr. Q, there is Mr. T (i.e. Elon) who controls the bitcoin world with a single tweet. Lol
I agree with you that the Tesla Forums have detoriated completely. There used to be good information and help there in the beginning with model 3 in 2019. Not so now. But the car is very good.

And the fact was that you kept your car for 8 years and that tells a positive story. And have a look at the video where they check over TeslaBjorns modelX with 250,000 km on the clock. Some suspension issues but the car is in a good condition.

I have had my Model3 for 2.5 years now. Not a single hiccup, rattle or any issue. Have rotated tyres and changed brake fluid after 2 years. Have had a lot of successful SW updates with improvements to Sentry mode, reversing cameras, track mode and a lot of small improvements. Yes there have been useless games etc as well, they are not for me so disregarded.

Not a single hesitation to use the car for short trips or long trips across the country or abroad. Well placed charging stations and only so far have experienced a handful of chargers that have not delivered the promised kW. But have always worked!

Compare that to the Taycan.
In the workshop for ten days again for the third time. OTA issues, Communication issues, not able to perform any SW updates, connect app working 25% of the time. And there is no estimate of time when it will be resolved. The Taycan is a superior drive compared to to the Model3 for sure, when it works. But with all the trouble and charging network issues, whether car or Ionity, not trusted for a longer road trip. Wife will not travel in the car as long as the sudden electrical faults are guaranteed to be resolved.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And even there I doubt, that T is at that position, considering what a garbage car my MS90D is. Where are the innovations, I can buy???
We are all aware of the fact that you do not like Tesla. And you have clearly stated that when you blamed a dodgy electrical installation of your charger, on Tesla design.

So maybe there is a similar fact behind it, when it comes to judging your S 90?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So maybe there is a similar fact behind it, when it comes to judging your S 90?
By far the most repairs of any car we ever had, and we have plenty of cars of all brands and prices over the years for our business and private use. It's junk!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
And the fact was that you kept your car for 8 years and that tells a positive story.
No, it doesn't. Stop the fanboy garbage! I still have my MS90D junk, because no EQS, EQE, etc on the market!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it doesn't. Stop the fanboy garbage! I still have my MS90D junk, because no EQS, EQE, etc on the market!
But you have sent photos of so many excellent Chinese cars just recently. Surely there must be one that you can choose from.

If you are so displeased with the S, just sell it and be done with it. Pick up something simple or Just buy one of the fantastic Chinese Cars.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Can’t we all just get along? ?

Tesla deserve a lot of credit for pushing the whole EV car industry on, and for some of the innovative things they have brought….such as OTA updates and Sentry Mode.

Car-wise, until the Model 3 came along, their previous efforts were poorly made, poorly handling, and quite ugly design-wise.

They have made some progress in these respects, (aesthetics aside), but niggles still persist in their quality control, and their handling is simply not on the level of our cars.

Ultimately competition is good. I would not trade my Taycan for anything that Tesla offers today (it’s simply inferior). But one day, who knows.

I hope that Porsche picks up on some of the things Tesla has been innovating, and combines it with their knowledge of how to make a car that actually drives well (and looks good). That would not only the best of both worlds, but much more likely than Tesla suddenly focusing on the ‘boring’ driving bits, over the distractions of Self-Driving and Fart / Log Fire mode, or even the dangerous new yolk.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I used to be a big Tesla fan. I booked Model S in 2009, got it in 2013 and had it for 8 years before switching to Taycan. The tesla forums used to be fun and exciting. But now, tesla forums are more like QAnon forums. Crazy stuff gets said in those forums. And like Mr. Q, there is Mr. T (i.e. Elon) who controls the bitcoin world with a single tweet. Lol
Most of the Tesla fanboys started with the attitude of promoting all EV's regardless of brand. Tesla just happened to be the most exciting back in 2012-2015. But now that real competition is hitting the market, they have turned from supporting all EV's, to only supporting Tesla, regardless of Tesla's flaws. You can't even rationalize with them, and offer suggestions for improvement.

Too much kool aid.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Most of the Tesla fanboys started with the attitude of promoting all EV's regardless of brand. Tesla just happened to be the most exciting back in 2012-2015. But now that real competition is hitting the market, they have turned from supporting all EV's, to only supporting Tesla, regardless of Tesla's flaws. You can't even rationalize with them, and offer suggestions for improvement.

Too much kool aid.
Agreed.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Some Tesla's are junk.

Not all are junk.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

<--Not a fanboy.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Some Tesla's are junk.

Not all are junk.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

<--Not a fanboy.
Every Tesla I have seen in person has low quality paint. Every Tesla I have driven has interior plastic components loose/falling apart. 2015 to 2020 MY. Sub-$30K car, maybe acceptable - but not in $100K+ territory.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
But you have sent photos of so many excellent Chinese cars just recently. Surely there must be one that you can choose from.

If you are so displeased with the S, just sell it and be done with it. Pick up something simple or Just buy one of the fantastic Chinese Cars.
Now you get to the point. Not everybody has 120 000 USD to waste on junk.

Since we hardly use it it's no bother to keep it. More importantly, with just a short drive I can clearly separate reality from fanboy fiction! ;)

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Every Tesla I have seen in person has low quality paint. Every Tesla I have driven has interior plastic components loose/falling apart. 2015 to 2020 MY. Sub-$30K car, maybe acceptable - but not in $100K+ territory.
Both my Model 3's had below average paint. Mostly some dirt nibs that were never sanded off.

I think the Model S interiors have not aged well. They do tend to get really loose. You hear a lot of that on the forums. But I've had a combined 70k on my two Model 3's and they certainly aren't loose or falling apart. Much fewer reports of stuff like that on the 3's.

Parts QUALITY is another matter. For a Model S price, it's not good. At a Model 3 price, it's "just" acceptable IMO. Others may disagree. I likened the parts quality to a mid 2000's Acura and got slammed on a Tesla forum but I'm sorry, I've taken mine apart and that's what it is. You don't get high quality carpet, backing, door panels, interior panels, etc. They aren't "bad", but they aren't anywhere near what a German car would have. My VW 2017 GTi had much more hard pack, and wasn't much different than the Tesla...and that was a $28k car.

The parts fit together and stay together, but they aren't high quality.

I'm ok with having paid $60k for a Model 3 Performance...barely. I recognize that still no one has been able to touch the range, and especially not the performance, at the price. But I'm no fanboy. I recognize the car for what it is. I am having a hard time justifying spending the $$ on a Taycan. Not because I don't think it's worth the $$, but because it's not the clear cut right move for me.
Sponsored