tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Couple additional pics… clear side markers installed, originally had 20% tint but I took it back and installed 5% (20 was too light for me with the panoramic roof)

636B91B7-E16A-418B-94F9-B3D1A4A387D2.jpeg

89D67366-A9E0-4D2C-B0AF-C2F33C5FA7E0.jpeg
Wow. Looks great. Wish our laws regarding tints weren't so strict and didn't make any tinted car look like a commercial transport vehicle (all what you want in rear and behind B pillar, 75% light through in front of B pillar)

Maybe some day they'll allow it. Doubt it though.

My husband was just texting that the Pilot is finally done and he's on his way home.
Then he saw a truck. But it was leaving.

And then this:
4C873BE4-C178-4892-AD2B-5D5461A5F862.jpeg

He is now being directed to GTF to the bank.
Really happy for you! I've been following your posts and excitement. Seems you got really lucky with timely delivery.

I hope I can say the same in April May...

Congrats!

OP
OP
Icebergmikey

Icebergmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 850i, Taycan 4S (on order)
Country flag
Wow. Looks great. Wish our laws regarding tints weren't so strict and didn't make any tinted car look like a commercial transport vehicle (all what you want in rear and behind B pillar, 75% light through in front of B pillar)

Maybe some day they'll allow it. Doubt it though.

Really happy for you! I've been following your posts and excitement. Seems you got really lucky with timely delivery.

I hope I can say the same in ~~April~~ May...

Congrats!
Maryland doesn’t allow anything less than 35%… but I’m a rebel!

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
Congrats! I'm jealous... :) I need whatever magic you have. My build was complete Feb. 15th but no clue when it'll ever leave France/Germany.
Thank you! I really wish I understood how some of us get our cars right on schedule and others fall into this nightmarish black hole. I never in a million years seriously thought this car would arrive today. There is obviously no rhyme or reason to it, because I love data, and no amount of data analysis on this forum provides any real insight. Luck of the freaken damn draw I guess.

Just got an "emergency appointment" from the electrician. He can come in a week instead of a month. Now to see if I get lucky with the PPF reschedule...

Happy to spread Pink Pixie Dust on everyone! 🪄🎊🎀

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tint won't get a car impounded in the US. Just a warning or ticket.
I gotta ask you guys about this tint stuff. I grew up in NY, and remember tint always being a HUGE no-no. But now I see it's obviously legal (and popular) in lots of states, and perhaps it's even changed in NY by now.

Is it just for aesthetics? I've never considered it. First off, I like lots of ambient light in the car (not so much heat, but light) for as much visibility as possible and I don't know if tint compromises that. Second, while I don't need to broadcast to the world I have this car, I still don't mind actually being SEEN in it. Just for my own pleasure. Am I missing something important, like UV protection?

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I gotta ask you guys about this tint stuff. I grew up in NY, and remember tint always being a HUGE no-no. But now I see it's obviously legal (and popular) in lots of states, and perhaps it's even changed in NY by now.

Is it just for aesthetics? I've never considered it. First off, I like lots of ambient light in the car (not so much heat, but light) for as much visibility as possible and I don't know if tint compromises that. Second, while I don't need to broadcast to the world I have this car, I still don't mind actually being SEEN in it. Just for my own pleasure. Am I missing something important, like UV protection?
All (or most) states have legal limits on the max tint but it's not often enforced unless you're being pulled over for another reason. A common workaround is simply rolling the windows down if you get pulled over - hopefully, the cop didn't notice before and won't think twice that the windows are now down.

For most people, it's an aesthetics thing. It's a much sportier look with dark tint. You'd be surprised at how little difference tint makes with interior visibility. 5% like IcebergMikey's is probably noticeable but a very similar look can be achieved with a higher percentage. IMO, Priuses, minivans... or Honda Pilots... can go untinted but a sports sedan should be tinted to complete the look.

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Thank you! I really wish I understood how some of us get our cars right on schedule and others fall into this nightmarish black hole. I never in a million years seriously thought this car would arrive today. There is obviously no rhyme or reason to it, because I love data, and no amount of data analysis on this forum provides any real insight. Luck of the freaken damn draw I guess.

Just got an "emergency appointment" from the electrician. He can come in a week instead of a month. Now to see if I get lucky with the PPF reschedule...

Happy to spread Pink Pixie Dust on everyone! 🪄🎊🎀
Are you getting the PPF done by the dealer or through a separate shop? I keep going back and forth which I should do as I've never had a car worth protecting 😂

I'm a data guy as well in the AI industry, so the appearance of randomness is killing me! Did they get ChatGPT to create the delivery schedule?!?!?

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you getting the PPF done by the dealer or through a separate shop? I keep going back and forth which I should do as I've never had a car worth protecting 😂

I'm a data guy as well in the AI industry, so the appearance of randomness is killing me! Did they get ChatGPT to create the delivery schedule?!?!?
Same here, I never had a super fancy car, only admired them for as long as I can remember. I also have a habit of going to extremes, where I'm either so afraid to ruin something I never take the plastic off, or completely trashing it. You can see I made a thread here looking for how to find the right balance so that I don't self-sabotage.

I never got an offer from the dealer about a protection service or arrangement, and I'm not one to really trust dealers more than to sell me a car (if that), so I probably would have gone off on my own anyway. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop I chose, but in the meanwhile I'm fine with just enjoying the car until I can get the PPF. Weather is warming up, be fun to fill some buckets and go at it!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I asked this question as well. My Taycan has the optional thermally insulated glass, but the customization shop I use also installed infrared rejecting film that is nearly clear. The combination is extremely effective without darkening the interior. From a physics perspective, one would think that a dark tint converts visible light to heat, which aligns with accounts of double pane glass overheating and shattering after dark tint film is applied to the inner surface. I conclude that dark tint is a cosmetic treatment that has a negative functional impact, analogous to aftermarket spoilers and my range-reducing custom wheels:D.

chipra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
So turns out TYD was right! My car made it to the dealer yesterday, they have finished the dealer checks and the car is being sent off for full body PPF Monday. The dealer sent me an unwrapping video which I’ve watched more times than I care to admit.

Still puzzled how it got here as Siem Cicero only docked in Houston yesterday morning. But the car is here and that’s all that matters.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So turns out TYD was right! My car made it to the dealer yesterday, they have finished the dealer checks and the car is being sent off for full body PPF Monday. The dealer sent me an unwrapping video which I’ve watched more times than I care to admit.

Still puzzled how it got here as Siem Cicero only docked in Houston yesterday morning. But the car is here and that’s all that matters.
That is amazing!!! Congratulations, and I'm so happy for you! Siem Cicero is the lucky ship I guess. I remember in HS doing all the Aristotle, Cicero, and Plato stuff and Cicero was always my favorite because of his "Natural Law." So I have to admit, I was pretty stoked just to see the name of the ship as I'm stupidly superstitious sometimes.

My salesman sent an emailed pic from his phone this morning of my car in their garage with all the protective wrappers off. He didn't even know my husband was there yesterday when it arrived. But I'm like you, I just keep staring at all these pics and the video my husband took, and I feel so materialistic, yet grateful.

Congrats again, and enjoy it in good health!! :)

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag

Congrats! Just a few more days now for you!

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag

I've tinted the windows of every car I've ever owned...never the windshield though. It helps keep the car cooler inside, which isn't as big an issue for where you live. I recall Michigan used to not allow any tint on the front driver or passenger windows. A tint shop can advise if there's been a change to that.

I also prefer privacy, and it's probably for the best that others can't see me.

Even at night, it isn't difficult to see through reasonable levels of tint. That said, if I lived in an area where pedestrian traffic was common at night, I'd probably use a lower level of tint. I normally go to the legal limit for tint, which ends up being just a little darker, because most OEM windows have a light amount of tint to begin with.

I'd recommend anyone with any tint roll their windows down if they get pulled over, out of courtesy to the officer, so they have better visibility into the scenario they're walking into.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag

People do tint either for privacy, or for heat rejection (or both). i dont really care about privacy and tint laws preclude the darkest tints anyways. I live in the south so the heat rays are real.

The glass already filters out 99% of UV so you're not going to get skin cancer (probably) if you don't tint your windows. But you'll probably use a tad bit less A/C.
Sponsored