Sea Sucker instead of Rails

PCAR-KAISER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Hi All - just wondering what people’s thoughts are on skipping the roof rails and using a sea sucker on the pano roof??

I prefer the look without rails, but obviously can’t overlook the practicality of having them. It’s a shame there aren’t alternative mounting methods, like with the Macan where you can mount with or without rails...

I use a roof box on my Sport Turismo maybe twice a year, the beauty is the rest of the time the roof is unadorned.
Porsche Taycan Sea Sucker instead of Rails 96FDA343-D1E2-4335-AB07-7836689E8E0D
Porsche Taycan Sea Sucker instead of Rails 2769F3AE-27D9-497F-B199-70B9BC3716C1

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you clarify? The wife just got a Macan with no roof rails. Do you have a really good mounting system that good be used in a pinch?

I need to go down to Home Depot to pick up some lumber and she is not happy about that. I'm not going to put it on my Taycan.

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I guess it depends on how you feel about what you are carrying on top of the car. I have no issues with installing and removing the Porsche roof rails when I want to carry either of my bikes. I have a Specialized Levo and a Specialized Creo that that I have driven thousands of miles with securely fastened to the top of the car. Personally, I would never risk my bikes, or damage to the car, by not affixing something like that securely to the top of the car via a bolting system.

I have seen some positive feedback for the Sea Sucker on the board, but I prefer to fasten via screws and bolts if I am driving 80mph down a highway with a 35lbs e-mountain bike fastened to the top of the car.

The roof rails take 5 or 10 minutes to install and remove once you have figured out the initial installation, so it is not a pain in the butt to install or remove depending on what you are doing.

That is just me. You, or others, may feel different.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The cross turismo has optional fore-aft roof rails on either side to mount cross bars, while the regular taycans bolt straight to the roof. Folks may be confusing the two here. Rails are required on the cross turismo if you want to use cross bars.

If you don’t care about locking your bikes to the roof/car, I’d say seasucker is a great option.

OP
OP
PCAR-KAISER

PCAR-KAISER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I guess it depends on how you feel about what you are carrying on top of the car. I have no issues with installing and removing the Porsche roof rails when I want to carry either of my bikes. I have a Specialized Levo and a Specialized Creo that that I have driven thousands of miles with securely fastened to the top of the car. Personally, I would never risk my bikes, or damage to the car, by not affixing something like that securely to the top of the car via a bolting system.

I have seen some positive feedback for the Sea Sucker on the board, but I prefer to fasten via screws and bolts if I am driving 80mph down a highway with a 35lbs e-mountain bike fastened to the top of the car.

The roof rails take 5 or 10 minutes to install and remove once you have figured out the initial installation, so it is not a pain in the butt to install or remove depending on what you are doing.

That is just me. You, or others, may feel different.
Do you mean the rails or the bars?
On the Cross Turismo you need to have the rails installed (which are fixed) and then you mount the bars to them.

ideally it would be more like the saloon where the bars fit straight to the pano mounting points....that’s obviously a no brainer

OP
OP
PCAR-KAISER

PCAR-KAISER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Can you clarify? The wife just got a Macan with no roof rails. Do you have a really good mounting system that good be used in a pinch?

I need to go down to Home Depot to pick up some lumber and she is not happy about that. I'm not going to put it on my Taycan.
With the macan without rails you can fit roof bars like in my Panamera pictures. There are mounting points in the door openings....I got the Thule bars..who supply Porsche anyway

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
JimBob, I'd rent the Home Depot truck for a couple of hours- problem solved.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I would also like to "know" if hidden mounting points are on the CT so that the rails do not need to be ordered. I'd prefer not to have them as a roof box would be used quite infrequently.

I guess SeaSucker is an option but I'd feel more comfortable with mechanical fastening as well. Not to mention if the Pano can support the weight of a box.

Porsche Taycan Sea Sucker instead of Rails 1621416113270

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
Hi All - just wondering what people’s thoughts are on skipping the roof rails and using a sea sucker on the pano roof??

I prefer the look without rails, but obviously can’t overlook the practicality of having them. It’s a shame there aren’t alternative mounting methods, like with the Macan where you can mount with or without rails...

I use a roof box on my Sport Turismo maybe twice a year, the beauty is the rest of the time the roof is unadorned.
96FDA343-D1E2-4335-AB07-7836689E8E0D.jpeg
2769F3AE-27D9-497F-B199-70B9BC3716C1.jpeg
reviving this old thread to give my two cents. I don’t know if it’s an issue with my sea sucker or pano roof. They don’t work on pano roof. Put it on last night and took it for a test drive. Wouldn’t stay on more than few minutes at the time. The front rail kept losing suction, had to park on the side of the highway and take it off. I think it’s because the glass is too slippery, in my previous cars, the front rail was usually suctioned to metal not the glass roof and didn’t have an issue.