Seats Comfort 14 way vs Sport 18 way - pros/cons???

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Some insights in decision making.

Very personal off course.

I tested the 18 way seats liked them and wanted them but the dealer advised against it because I said I was more comfort minded.

I tested both today: the 14 way comfort in a CT and the 18 in a sedan. At first the 18 have a better support but as the dealer told me the leg bolsters are pushing against my leg even when fully opened and they are harder. He told me for 30 minutes it would be ok but on longer journeys the comforts are better. And after taking a couple of minutes I had e really good seating position in the 14 way too. Tilting the seat backward augmented the feeling of side support, without changing the bolsters because the 14w don’t do that.

Before I tested the 14w seats with base leather trim and that has a structure in it and I didn’t like it. The full leather 14w seat have smooth leather finish and look better. I still might like the look of the 18 way seats a bit better.

I first chose Olea basalt but the dealer told me just to take full leather black because the difference is really hard to tell. He only advises it for customers taking the other colors or two tone.

And last point and I think it is a combination of the higher ride of the CT and the 14w seat: that combo was way easier to get out. I would call it effortless just getting out. In the sedan with 18w I had to pull myself out.

I am 6 feet 4 and normal build

So for me, my anatomy and driving habits. I chose the 14 way comfort seats with heating, ventilation and because I dropped Olea for full leather, also massage function. It also confirmed that the CT is a better choice for me. Strange that the 2 cm ride hight made such a big difference in ease of getting in and out. So probably the seats are part of it too.

So I went from 18 way sport with Olea to 14 way comfort in full leather based a my dealers advice. And after testing it I confirmed he was right.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Some insights in decision making.

Very personal off course.

I tested the 18 way seats liked them and wanted them but the dealer advised against it because I said I was more comfort minded.

I tested both today: the 14 way comfort in a CT and the 18 in a sedan. At first the 18 have a better support but as the dealer told me the leg bolsters are pushing against my leg even when fully opened and they are harder. He told me for 30 minutes it would be ok but on longer journeys the comforts are better. And after taking a couple of minutes I had e really good seating position in the 14 way too. Tilting the seat backward augmented the feeling of side support, without changing the bolsters because the 14w don’t do that.

Before I tested the 14w seats with base leather trim and that has a structure in it and I didn’t like it. The full leather 14w seat have smooth leather finish and look better. I still might like the look of the 18 way seats a bit better.

I first chose Olea basalt but the dealer told me just to take full leather black because the difference is really hard to tell. He only advises it for customers taking the other colors or two tone.

And last point and I think it is a combination of the higher ride of the CT and the 14w seat: that combo was way easier to get out. I would call it effortless just getting out. In the sedan with 18w I had to pull myself out.

I am 6 feet 4 and normal build

So for me, my anatomy and driving habits. I chose the 14 way comfort seats with heating, ventilation and because I dropped Olea for full leather, also massage function. It also confirmed that the CT is a better choice for me. Strange that the 2 cm ride hight made such a big difference in ease of getting in and out. So probably the seats are part of it too.

So I went from 18 way sport with Olea to 14 way comfort in full leather based a my dealers advice. And after testing it I confirmed he was right.
The higher bolsters make egress and ingress trickier on the 18-way.

You could also raise the non CT car before exiting to give you that 2cm I guess.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The higher bolsters make egress and ingress trickier on the 18-way.

You could also raise the non CT car before exiting to give you that 2cm I guess.
Correct. I could set a point for smart lift at my work and at home for an automatic 2 cm lift. But I also want the CT for the practicality of the trunk.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Weirdly, atleast in the US, on the etron GT, you can only get massage in conjunction with 18 way seats (and full leather);
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/m...022/overview.mediathek_infolayer.GPABPAB.html
Same in Europe as well... And i'll admit it baffles me to...as i actually have "an earlier generation" of these seats in my A7, and they are really excellent...in every way, and off course it bugs me that i had to "downgrade" when ordering my CT4, as the massage function is a must on longer journeys...or on all drives if you have a "less then perfect" back :)

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Same in Europe as well... And i'll admit it baffles me to...as i actually have "an earlier generation" of these seats in my A7, and they are really excellent...in every way, and off course it bugs me that i had to "downgrade" when ordering my CT4, as the massage function is a must on longer journeys...or on all drives if you have a "less then perfect" back :)
I don’t really see the comfort seats as a downgrade. The sport and comfort have a different public. Maybe the best would be 14 way with adaptive side bolster for the back. So 16 ways.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
RWD? Or what trim level? It could just be a configurator issue on the website that I’m seeing. I never tried to order it that way since I wasn’t interested in the 18-way.
Mine, 4s, is confirmed in the configurator and on TYD as 18-way with ventilated seats.

Porsche code: PN52ABA6

Last edited:

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
I don’t really see the comfort seats as a downgrade. The sport and comfort have a different public. Maybe the best would be 14 way with adaptive side bolster for the back. So 16 ways.
Thanks, you do have a point. Yeah, that sounds about right :)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Another consideration is that (according to the configurator) the 2+1 rear seat option is in the style of the 14-ways, so doesn't match 18-way front seats.
Sponsored