Second Set of Wheels- what wheels fit PSCB?

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
Long time reader, first time poster here... i'm going to dump 4 tire questions in one post - and i've extensively tried to find answers for each of these

Just realized my promised all-season tires are actually summer tires - 21" wheels - 4S with PSCB. Supposedly my dealer doesn't sell a car without the all seasons. Um, they did

thinking of getting a second set of wheels for winter tires (or maybe all season tires) - but my sales guy said he's pretty sure very few wheels fit with the white brake pads ( PSCB )

several questions:
-where the #$%^&*(&#&*^$@@#% can ANYONE find winter tires in the states?? NOBODY has them. Nobody has a date for them. on 19", 20" or 21" wheels. Literally - can't find front OR rear much less a matching set

-do ya'll know what OEM wheels will fit with the PSCB ? I've googled and not seen this question much less answer. Ebay has some decent OEM 19" and 20" wheels. i'd PREFER a winter tire on these versus an all-season. All i know is these summer tires are poo on snow an ice.

-i bought the tire/wheel pack (porsche repairs/replaces tires and/or wheels forever). live in new construction neighborhood, had a flat 2 months in. I IMAGINE IF I GO AFTERMARKET SECOND SET OF WHEELS, THIS IS VOID?

-i've read in these forums, if you want winter tires GET A SECOND SET OF WHEELS blah blah blah vastly superior to changing out the tires and leaving the wheels. can someone tell me WHY? i had TWO local tire stores tell me - "swap out the tires. it's $120 a season. it's SO MUCH CHEAPER than buying a second set of wheels." That was their words, not mine. I had kind of decided second set of wheels (based on the overwhelming opinion in this forum - but i didn't hear WHY).

I'm in Kentucky - we normally get a snow a year. maybe two. but it can stay under the 40 degrees where winter tires excel. My sales guy (been with Porsche over a decade) said this is NOT the climate where you need winter tires and to swap wheels. he said put on the all seasons. period. that said, we've had two snowfalls in 2 weeks already 2022, and more coming. i LOVE the performance of these summer tires. i COULD do all seasons and ditch the summer ones - but i mean, i already own them, and i doubt the all season will let me pull a full G in these round abouts around here.. or will they?

sorry long post - thanks
Sponsored

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Let me put it this way, once you see what the average tire shop does to your wheels when mounting tires you are going to see the value in a second set of wheels. Only slightly more seriously the tires aren't particularly fond of the constant mounting/unmounting either.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
Let me put it this way, once you see what the average tire shop does to your wheels when mounting tires you are going to see the value in a second set of wheels. Only slightly more seriously the tires aren't particularly fond of the constant mounting/unmounting either.
Yes agreed, abuse on both your wheels and tires as you continue to swap. What I've done in the past is use the OEM wheels for winter and buy new wheels for summer. Its costly but its what I've done. I haven't shopped for either since covid started so I'm guessing the lack of supply you're seeing is caused by that.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Getting your tires swapped to new wheels every spring and fall is kind of a pain in the butt, in addition to the potential for damage to the wheels each time. Sometimes they might not get them balanced too well for example and you might have to take them back. You also can't really do it yourself without specialized tools like you can with a simple swap. There is also the matter of getting an appointment and waiting around or not having the car for a while as well.

As for the wheel and tire coverage, which I have as well, my guess would be that they cover the wheels and tires the car was sold with. They might cover a different OEM wheel because they might not notice but I doubt they'd cover any tires that weren't OEM. I don't think it would void anything, like if you swapped back and forth a few times and then happened to have a problem with the originally spec'd wheels and tires.

As far as finding a rare sized wheel and tire for winter, it's probably best to do that earlier in the year. By this time of year everything is pretty much sold out and suppliers aren't ordering more because winter is half over.

If you do some digging you can find people who have put other wheels over the PSCB. If you find a wheel that is known to work, other wheels with the same specs for diameter and offset are likely to work but you can't really say for sure until you try. Here is a 20" wheel with PSCB but they're expensive for a winter setup: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/vossen-hf5-wheels-on-turbo-taycan.8452/

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I agree that the average tyre shop doesn't really have a gentle touch with the rims when tyres are replaced etc. The alternative to paying for a new set is to get the Porsche dealership to swap them out for you. The cost is much higher than a local shop but if they scratch anything (and you notice if) then they'll repair or replace for you. Good luck getting a small-time shop paying $3k for a new wheel because they've done a small scratch on the inside of the rim where it isn't visible...

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I am going to be going for a separate entire winter wheel setup which of course is a fairly large cost it will probably be 20" Turbo wheels setup for winter, and 21" for summer. Actually fairly standard practise in Sweden - I know of only one person that went a season with swapping the tyres on their wheel rims before buying a second set of wheels.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
thinking of getting a second set of wheels for winter tires (or maybe all season tires) - but my sales guy said he's pretty sure very few wheels fit with the white brake pads ( PSCB )
There are plenty of third party wheels to choose from. Just make sure they are suitable for a Taycan and approved. With PCSB you need at least 20 inch. They are not too expensive and will protect against any installer swapping tyres.

https://www.performancealloys.com/c...and=9252&pcd=230,2613,2689&wheel_diameter=151

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslas and Ferraris
Country flag
20" Turbo will fit nicely your set up if you want to stay OEM. Prob for next winter though as will take a while to get them

Suncoast

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
-[...]if you want winter tires GET A SECOND SET OF WHEELS [...] can someone tell me WHY? [...] I had kind of decided second set of wheels (based on the overwhelming opinion in this forum - but i didn't hear WHY).
Leaving aside the "intangibles" (aforementioned risk for rim damage, the inherent safety that cold weather compounds bring - especially over that of summer tires), winter tires also help prolong the life of your summers, so you can look at the upfront expense as defraying the cost of future purchases. When you move on from the car, including the winter set may make for an easier sale, or you can sell it separately and recoup some of the initial cost.

Other aspects to consider:
- the effect of road treatment (salt, sand, other) in the winter on painted stock wheels
- the ability to downsize (perhaps not in your case if the SC brakes don't allow it) with winter wheels gives you (the promise of) better control with a narrower tire, as well as more sidewall to deal with potholes.

Ultimately it's up to your specific use case, space in the garage for another set of wheels, inclination to swap them etc. Over here in WA, with a couple of trips into the mountains every week for 4-6 months per year, it's literally a no-brainer. And I'm glad to see TireRack finally has an option (though curiously they indicate 20" as the min size).

(edited for clarity)

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
FWIW,

I was considering upgrading my CT-T to black gloss painted 21" on the Porsche confuserator at a cost of around £3K.

But here in the UK I can buy a set of black gloss TUV approved 21" wheels with NFO tyres fitted and balanced for around £3K - Retaining the supplied Porsche 20" to also use. Alloy wheel suppliers can guarantee wheel fit, brake fit, and offset etc.

Some models have the 71.6mm inner bore to allow you to swap out the porsche centre caps too.

This gives me double the rubber and a free second set of wheels to trash/powder coat/paint or whatever.

Or mebbies sell em when I change car - or re-use again on the next porsche.

Seems to make financial sense to me.
Sponsored

Last edited: