Second thoughts – moving back to ICE

Gauss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone! I would just like to share some thoughts and see if there is anyone else out there..

Moving from ICE to (B)EV was an easy choice. Tesla MS is a great car that made the transition easy. Zero emissions, instant torque, smooth, quiet and fast, at least forward.. When Porsche announced Taycan, I knew that this would be something else. And it was, better handling, and much more fun to drive.

Having driven the Tesla MS for a couple of yrs and a Taycan 4S since its release, I have to admit that there is something missing though. Great fun to drive, despite its weight, the Taycan still feels too heavy imo. And I guess the most obvious “missing thing” is the engine. I didn´t think I would say this, but that engaging feeling you get in an ICE Porsche like 911, you just don´t get that in an electric vehicle, at least not yet. It is not just about the sound, or the transmission, or the vibrations, or that it gives you that satisfaction about the machinery – it is all that put together I think.

I know this isn´t the way forward in terms of CO emission and all that, but I´m considering moving “back” to an ICE like 911. For the fun of driving, that would feel more like a step forward right now..
Sponsored

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Why make it an either/or issue?

Our Taycan RWD will be our family, commuting and road trip car.

However there is no way I'm giving up my 987 Boxster S. Hard to beat that driving experience on those great, top down days on twisty roads.

Best of both worlds...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am having similar thoughts but instead of a 911 I am thinking of a cheaper EV + a sporty ICE coupe.
For the money if a Taycan 4S you can buy a Tesla Model Y (or Ford Mach-e) to move the family around and a manual BMW M2 for having fun.

hooneyrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Caterham 420S, 2018 Discovery 3.0.
Country flag
The Taycan is too heavy? I'm sorry but you must be pushing very hard on the road to notice the weight. I'd say up to 85%, the Taycan is just planted. The weight is low down so cannot be compared to an ICE. The steering and feel has been done so well.​

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I love my Taycan and don’t miss my ICE vehicle. However, I completely understand those that love the roar of the engine, shifting gears and really engaging in the driving experience. I find the Taycan more engaging than I thought I would. That is just my personal feeling though. With most major car manufacturers moving towards all electric line-ups, the days of ICE may be numbered. If you are thinking of switching back to ICE, right now may not be a bad time to do it to enjoy the options out there. High-end sports cars such as the 911 will be probably be ICE for quite some time so you still have time.

hooneyrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Caterham 420S, 2018 Discovery 3.0.
Country flag
I love my Taycan and don’t miss my ICE vehicle. However, I completely understand those that love the roar of the engine, shifting gears and really engaging in the driving experience. I find the Taycan more engaging than I thought I would. That is just my personal feeling though. With most major car manufacturers moving towards all electric line-ups, the days of ICE may be numbered. If you are thinking of switching back to ICE, right now may not be a bad time to do it to enjoy the options out there. High-end sports cars such as the 911 will be probably be ICE for quite some time so you still have time.
I do certainly agree with there being something missing. But the Taycan can still feel brilliant on the B roads. I do miss the noise and vibration too.. But the original post also mentioned 'weight' which I just don't think applies to the feel unless you're at 85%+ on track I guess.,

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The Taycan is hugely heavy, and it doesn't take much pushing to figure it out. It's handling defies physics, but there is no getting away from the physics when it comes to braking and the ability of the car to shift it's balance. The Taycan is just not a track car - it is the best car I've ever driven in terms of a street car and a 'gran turismo' designed to soak up the miles in the most satisfying possible ways. There is no way the car is even close to as engaging as a 911 or Boxster/Cayman.

For fun, it's tough to beat a Boxster/Cayman on the street, especially if you can still swing a manual transmission. I really miss my street/track Cayman - it was the most fun I've ever had on the street, but I might have had a bit of trouble keeping my license if I hadn't sold the car...:angel:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I just got my Taycan RWD yesterday - traded a 991 Targa on it - and I’m second guessing that decision.
I already miss the open roof and the better off the line performance. Plus the cooler styling.

it doesn’t help that the electronics and charging experience are so buggy.

I’m going to give it an honest try and see how it goes. Worst case I order another Targa and trade this against it.

For the record I’m a huge believer in EV tech and torque and really do want to love this car.

So far my big complaints are the giant size and the difficult ingress/egress. And the myriad of apps that overcomplicate the experience. Why aren’t connect, charging and my Porsche one unified app?

it pains me to say Tesla is really ahead in this regard.

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I just got my Taycan RWD yesterday - traded a 991 Targa on it - and I’m second guessing that decision.
I already miss the open roof and the better off the line performance. Plus the cooler styling.

it doesn’t help that the electronics and charging experience are so buggy.

I’m going to give it an honest try and see how it goes. Worst case I order another Targa and trade this against it.

For the record I’m a huge believer in EV tech and torque and really do want to love this car.

So far my big complaints are the giant size and the difficult ingress/egress. And the myriad of apps that overcomplicate the experience. Why aren’t connect, charging and my Porsche one unified app?

it pains me to say Tesla is really ahead in this regard.
Do you think a 4S wouldve been a better choice for you than the RWD? Its pricier but is quicker.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you think a 4S wouldve been a better choice for you than the RWD? Its pricier but is quicker.
I was working within a budget, I really wanted to get the car with no note. Also I kinda prefer RWD feel to be honest.
My wife is a Tesla driver for three years and is talking me off the ledge. She assures me a lot of the issues I have now were similar in the early days for her, and she’d never go back to ICE.
Like I said I’ll be giving it a fair try. I had a fairly bumpy first day.

Reactions: B61

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I was working within a budget, I really wanted to get the car with no note. Also I kinda prefer RWD feel to be honest.
My wife is a Tesla driver for three years and is talking me off the ledge. She assures me a lot of the issues I have now were similar in the early days for her, and she’d never go back to ICE.
Like I said I’ll be giving it a fair try. I had a fairly bumpy first day.
I hear you. We gave up our gas cars and currently have two Teslas. One actually crapped out and needed the media control unit SD card replaced last week, it was less than a year old. Spent a few hours to get it towed but I got it back now.

I agree with her 100% on no going back to ICE, will be all electric from now on for me. I hope the driving experience will be worth it and the tech experience will be overlooked. Tesla hands down has the charging and tech down but no one buys a Porsche to be driven by the car like a Tesla. Best of luck!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It is not just about the sound, or the transmission, or the vibrations, or that it gives you that satisfaction about the machinery – it is all that put together I think.
Certainly a different point of view.

For me, I like the lack of noise, vibrations, gas smell, turbo lag, transmission lag, etc - could never go back to an ICE.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Well, a 911 is a hardcore sportscar and the Taycan a bloody fast saloon.
It's only a compliment that the Taycan is being compared to a 911 but honestly, different cars, c'mon guys...
I don't like the 911 for it's shape and I'm kinda done with ice in general, it's all drama while the Taycan does it with elegance and seemingly effortless.
Maybe I'm getting old, I don't know.
Sponsored