Setting up charging to 85% for novice

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Smart Eq ForFour
Country flag
Hi All,
This is my first Porsche and my first electric vehicle.
Does anyone have a an easy step by step guide as to how to set up charging to a maximum of 85% and to start at my preferred time.
How do I then only use it as and when I need to.
Sponsored

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Welcome and hope you enjoy your Taycan!

You need to use a timer. You can set that up from either a browser by logging into myporsche or from your app. Here are the screenshots from a browser but it's similar (and a little easier) from the app.

First create a timer by clicking the +Add Timer button in the bottom left. Then fill in the time, days and charge level you want. I just have one that recurs every day for 7am. You can also set whether to turn on the climate system to a target temp. I don't really know if you also need a Profile but I have it set up and included a screenshot of my settings below.

One other thing I've noticed is that you can have multiple timers active. So for instance you can have one set for weekdays for 7am and a different one set for weekends for 10am.

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice 1604226760349

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice 1604226797986

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice 1604226820560

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice 1604226832158

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Smart Eq ForFour
Country flag

You need to use a timer. You can set that up from either a browser by logging into myporsche or from your app. Here are the screenshots from a browser but it's similar (and a little easier) from the app.

First create a timer by clicking the +Add Timer button in the bottom left. Then fill in the time, days and charge level you want. I just have one that recurs every day for 7am. You can also set whether to turn on the climate system to a target temp. I don't really know if you also need a Profile but I have it set up and included a screenshot of my settings below.

One other thing I've noticed is that you can have multiple timers active. So for instance you can have one set for weekdays for 7am and a different one set for weekends for 10am.

1604226760349.png

1604226797986.png

1604226820560.png

1604226832158.png
Thank you.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
This is the most frustrating part of the Taycan. Porsche needs to simplify this.

Let me set the battery limit, and the preferred charging window. No timers. Use the "Direct Charge" to go to 100% ASAP.

They over complicated this.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Honestly I have come to this way of thinking after a while. The only thing that makes it not as useful is if they simply allow one slider to set the “current” charge. I use profiles for different locations, And/or for different trips. The app is SO SLOW if it responded quickly one could set up many profiles and just select the current one for best use case.

I am starting hate how bad the app is....

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag

1604226760349.png

1604226797986.png

1604226820560.png

1604226832158.png
This is really useful. Thanks. If I want to ensure charging is stopped at a certain time or say after 5 hours when my cheap rate ends, whatever the charge level is at, is there a way to do this?

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
This is really useful. Thanks. If I want to ensure charging is stopped at a certain time or say after 5 hours when my cheap rate ends, whatever the charge level is at, is there a way to do this?
That's more advanced than I've ventured with the Porsche software lol. You might be able to do something close to that with the Profile where you set the preferred charging time, but I think the timer overrules the profile. So if your timer is set to be at 85% at 7am and your preferred charging time set in the profile is 5pm-5am, then maybe the car would schedule getting to 85% by 5am. But I think if the car can't reach 85% by 5am it will just keep charging until 7am as specified in the timer.

If you have a "hard" end time, that you want to follow I think you need to set the timer up accordingly or just physically end the charging session. As I type this I'm not even sure if the car is below the target charge level specified in the timer at the end of the time, whether it will stop or continue on to the target charge level. I think it may actually keep charging to get to the target charge level. Sorry, I'm still pretty new at this too and my general philosophy has been to keep it simple with the software since it is pretty immature.

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice 1604312052438

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For me, preferred charging times (profile) is set from 9pm - 6am. That's 9 hours of charging at about 25 miles range added per hour. That's more than I need. If you aren't able to get 40A out of the Porsche charger, I'd say fix that problem first. I'm not sure if the departure time in the active timer overrules the preferred charging time in the active profile. That would be good to know.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
For me, preferred charging times (profile) is set from 9pm - 6am. That's 9 hours of charging at about 25 miles range added per hour. That's more than I need. If you aren't able to get 40A out of the Porsche charger, I'd say fix that problem first. I'm not sure if the departure time in the active timer overrules the preferred charging time in the active profile. That would be good to know.
In my experience the departure time in the Timer always overrides the preferred charging time in the active profile.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This is the most frustrating part of the Taycan. Porsche needs to simplify this.

Let me set the battery limit, and the preferred charging window. No timers. Use the "Direct Charge" to go to 100% ASAP.

They over complicated this.
It's not that complicated.
It has some very handy features, that's all.
Like preferred times to charge, where en when to charge and till how far.
Pretty clever once you understand it really.

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer said that a major software update was planned around January and one of them was combining the profile and timer into one simplified menu since there were so many complaints surrounding the current setup. I hope other changes like wireless carplay and other menu updates are coming out with it as well. I guess we'll see.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
I used to have a working setup limiting the charge level to 85% in the morning. Then for no reason at all the Taycan decided to keep on charging to 100% every night. I’ve tried deleting all timers/profiles and recreating them, but to no avail - still 100% charged in the morning. Quite frustrating to be honest. Oh well... guess they’re still debugging down in Germany.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I used to have a working setup limiting the charge level to 85% in the morning. Then for no reason at all the Taycan decided to keep on charging to 100% every night. I’ve tried deleting all timers/profiles and recreating them, but to no avail - still 100% charged in the morning. Quite frustrating to be honest. Oh well... guess they’re still debugging down in Germany.
Was that a General Profile?
I tested that today with a minimum charge set to 90% and it worked flawlessly.
It stopped at 90%.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
It was the «General Profile» yes. Set at 85% minimum charge. Keeps on going till 100%....
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee