H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
....just great.... tried to edit the profile & timer settings two days ago. Put the car on charger last evening. Today it’s totally dead. 12volt bug bites again! And I asked the dealer specifically if this bug was squashed on my car as I took delivery in august.... turns out it wasn’t.....
Sponsored

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Called Porsche Assistance. They sent the local tow truck. By the time they arrived I was already halfway through the 12v process as excellently described here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ause-of-the-12-volt-problem….2529/#post-34471. Got the car started. Put everything back. Shut it off. Dead again. And repeat, this timed I took a short ride. 12V batteri indicator in dash reported 14V. Parked, shut it down. Still alive thankfully. On charge now. Will see how it goes. Out shopping for a cheap start booster in my other ICE car now. "Isn't it ironic...."

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
....just great.... tried to edit the profile & timer settings two days ago. Put the car on charger last evening. Today it’s totally dead. 12volt bug bites again! And I asked the dealer specifically if this bug was squashed on my car as I took delivery in august.... turns out it wasn’t.....
IMHO...

I would NOT be setting a Timer or using the Porsche Connect Web Portal or App to remotely tweak your charging settings right now unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

It seems that most folks who are having 12V battery issues are using timers, custom profiles, and/or changing their cars charging parameters remotely.

I simply set the car to charge to 85% (using the default profile) and just plug it in whenever its parked at home. I expect this will limit your exposure to what surely is yet another Porsche Software bug. (knock on wood).

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Still got issues with charging. This used to be working ok but now for the last few weeks has stopped again. Have a profile set up to do preferred charging between 00:30 to 04:30 (for low energy prices) and a timer set to depart at 04:30 with a target of 85%. The problem is that if the car is sitting below the threshold of reaching 85% between the preferred charging times it simply doesn’t charge at all - rather than just charging whatever percentage it can between the times and then stopping until the next day.
Must be a problem with your car or external charger as I have mine set up exactly as you have and it works perfectly ie it only charges 00.30 to 04.30 and stops charging at 04.30 at 85% or below if not possible to reach 85% by 04.30.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Must be a problem with your car or external charger as I have mine set up exactly as you have and it works perfectly ie it only charges 00.30 to 04.30 and stops charging at 04.30 at 85% or below if not possible to reach 85% by 04.30.
It would be a stupid way to program, but perhaps it won't START the charging if it can't FINISH it within the scheduled time period. I don't have a Taycan yet, but perhaps Persuader could set his timer for a 1-hour block and see whether the car charges for that 1 hour, or refuses to start charging because it can't finish in that 1-hour window.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Thanks. Indeed it was. Charger (PodPoint) was flashing red. Contacted them and a software update was sent through which has resolved the issue. Thanks all.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Must be a problem with your car or external charger...
The External Charger has nothing to do with the 12V battery. The 12V battery (and even the onboard high voltage batteries) are charged via an onboard charger. The only thing the "external charger" does is supply raw electrical power to the onboard charger(s). Its not really a "charger" at all....

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The External Charger has nothing to do with the 12V battery. The 12V battery (and even the onboard high voltage batteries) are charged via an onboard charger. The only thing the "external charger" does is supply raw electrical power to the onboard charger(s). Its not really a "charger" at all....
That may be why the PMCC it is labeled “Porsche Mobile Charger Connect”.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
It would be a stupid way to program, but perhaps it won't START the charging if it can't FINISH it within the scheduled time period. I don't have a Taycan yet, but perhaps Persuader could set his timer for a 1-hour block and see whether the car charges for that 1 hour, or refuses to start charging because it can't finish in that 1-hour window.
As already explained it does finish on less than 85% if it can't reach 85% by the end of the charge window. Any way the original poster has now identified it as being a problem with his external "pod point charger"

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That may be why the PMCC it is labeled “Porsche Mobile Charger Connect”.
Or perhaps Connect refers to the fact that the charger is able to connect to the internet. I believe this is the difference vs the Porsche Mobile Charger.

And as stated it really is not a charger anyway.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Please ignore my ignorance but why wouldn't you let it just charge to 100% every time ?
That's what I do. In fact most of the time I plug mine in when it's around 70%

Thanks

I used to have a working setup limiting the charge level to 85% in the morning. Then for no reason at all the Taycan decided to keep on charging to 100% every night. I’ve tried deleting all timers/profiles and recreating them, but to no avail - still 100% charged in the morning. Quite frustrating to be honest. Oh well... guess they’re still debugging down in Germany.

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
AGAIN. Just set the the charge level on your general/default profile to 85%. DONE. PERIOD. STOP.

You do not need to tweak anything else or set up any timers or any other profiles.

This is EXACTLY what I did MONTHS ago and its been working quite transparently ever since. Set it ONCE and forget it. Just plug your car in whenever it is in the garage. Any time / Every time I get in the car its always waiting for me with an 85% charge. Its that simple.

The ONLY thing I have EVER changed (temporarily) is to enable the "Direct Charging" option the night before a long trip (to give me 100%). No secondary profiles, no timers...
That does indeed sound like the answer.

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I see no way using just a general profile to have the vehicle charge to 85% but only do so during “approved hours”

you can set the general profile to 85% “minimum” priority charge, but this will ignore “approved charging times”
If you have a smart home charger, just set it on a schedule to ONLY supply power during your cheap rate persiod, I have mine set from 11:30pm to 5:30am.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
If you have a smart home charger, just set it on a schedule to ONLY supply power during your cheap rate persiod, I have mine set from 11:30pm to 5:30am.
in my opinion one shouldn't have to have 'smart' EVSE to accomplish a simple task such as this - the taycan is the first EV I've owned in over 10 years that has this simple oversight

also in my experience if your EVSE is "smart" and your EV is "smart" the two end up arguing over charging - also you can't use the vehicle's app to start/stop charging if the EVSE has independently cut off power for charging…

basically only one smart system should be involved in charging - otherwise the two systems can work against each other…

my $0.02
Sponsored