Setting up for charging in garage

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's way early for me to be thinking about this - I won't have my Taycan for months. But what can I say? It gives me something to think about in the meantime.

So can anyone advise on what's involved to set up for charging in my garage? Do I need an electrician with any particular expertise? Are there any cool ways to do it that leverage the technology, or that would make it neater or more convenient? For example, how about having a retractable charging cord?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Any licensed electrician will do. Just have them install a 50 amp outlet a foot or so below the height you want your charger. That way you can use a charger with a plug, meaning you can change it later. I have a ChargePoint now, being used by my wife's Bolt, and I'll swap it for something else when I get the Taycan. (Either the Porsche unit, or something that can intelligently handle 2 cars)

There's nothing special about chargers, or the outlet, as all the smarts are in the car.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can also use the partnership between Porsche and Amazon, where they’ll send an electrician out to do the work. Luckily, my electrician has done several power upgrade and wiring projects for EVs in my area. As was said above, the charger isn’t the big deal, it’s getting 50 amps minimum run to where you want to charge with the correct outlet to support maximum power.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For DIYers

If you are not planning on waiting for or paying for the 22kW charging that is due latter 2020 then 11kW is what you need.
In the USA the Porsche charger will have a NEMA 14-50 plug by default and you can find the receptacle at the Home Depot if you do your own electrical. You will need a new 50A breaker to bring 240V to the outlet.

A 14-50 wall-mount outlet from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...d-Single-Outlet-Black-R20-55050-P00/311373554

Or an In-Wall version
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...w-Single-Outlet-Black-R10-00279-S00/300324414

Also I suggest requesting the 25' cord option from Porsche Connect, it's a free upgrade in the USA at least.

If you are looking at 22kW then you need a 100A circuit at single phase and I am not familiar with the plug you would install for that.

sneksis911

First Name
Wald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, XC90R
Country flag
Whats the 22kW charging? Just placed my Turbo order for April delivery and didn't feel like I had a choice in the charger department. Comes mandatory w the mobile charger connect. What am I missing?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 22kW AC charging doesn't really apply to the US.

Depending on your location, you may need a permit to have the outlet installed. I just went with a local electrician I found on Yelp. They do EVSE installs all day in the Bay Area. The electrician took care of getting the permit, and I just had to be there for the inspection.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, what is the 22kW charging? It doesn’t apply in the US, but yet you were still able to get it, Miwa?

Regarding the charging cord, I don’t want a cord on the floor of my garage I could run over. Aren’t there any nice ways to set that up, such as having some kind of retractable cord?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
22kW is an unavailable car option that probably won’t be offered here when it is available. I think public chargers in the UK have 22kW or something. In the US you’d just use 50-150kW DC chargers in public. That or the 7kW “Level 2” AC chargers.

You do want the 150kW DC option or you’ll be stuck at 50kW for most fast chargers.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am quite familiar with these retractors. I have a dozen of them at my workplace. They have significant tension and can put strain on your charge port. I would not recommend it in your setting.

Also I completed agree you do not want to leave the cord on the ground.
I would say to simply loop your cord in large loops. You can get a holster to store the plug on the wall if you like as well.

https://store.clippercreek.com/cable-management/sae-j1772-connector-holster
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage black holster with connector-500x500

You can loop over the semi pricy but attractive:
Porsche Charging Dock for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage detail_MNJ1_s_0

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Related questions:

What is the “mobile charger connect” in the configuration? And what is the difference between the “supply” cables and the 25 foot charger cable (other than the length)?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Dave T Mobile Charger Connect is the portable or wall mountable EVSE that we in USA are required to configure at this time (like pano roof).
At first I was a little annoyed to be forced to get their $1100 charger but it is a 40A (11kW) charger and WiFi connecting so has several nice features. All current owners seem to say nice things about it so I'm now happy.

The default cable length is 8.2ft, see more under E-Mobility in configurator.

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage Screenshot_20200121-071822
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage Screenshot_20200121-072221

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So all you need is the “mobile charger connect” (and a 50 amp outlet to plug it in to)? Why do you need 50 amps if the charger only uses 40? And what are the “supply cables” for? I don’t have one of those specified in my build. I do have the 25 foot charger cable though. What would I use that for?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So all you need is the “mobile charger connect” (and a 50 amp outlet to plug it in to)? Why do you need 50 amps if the charger only uses 40? And what are the “supply cables” for? I don’t have one of those specified in my build. I do have the 25 foot charger cable though. What would I use that for?
Yes, all you need to install is a 50 amp circuit and plug where you wish to place the charger. The charger has a very short cord like two feet to plug into that. The 25 ft cord will go from the charger mounted on the wall over to the car.

Circuit must be rated at only 80% of continuous load. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Electrical_Code
Sponsored