ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer asked me to bring in my car and the charger to check it out as I'm experiencing the same condition. A few nights ago I had my 50 amp circuit trip after about 2 hours of charging. I tried to charge again today and I got an error on my charger about the circuit tripping. I unplugged the charger, plugged it back in and dialed down the amperage on the charger to 32 to lighten the load. That worked very well and the cable stayed cool but charging was obviously slower. Will let you know what my dealer says after they look at the car and charger.
That does sound concerning.the EVSE (charger) is really nothing but a glorified relay and some circuitry to speak to the car telling it how much power it should to draw as well as an amp and volt meter to display something on its screen. It does not limit the power to the vehicle nor does it draw any significant power of its own.

The only explanation I can come up with is the on board car charger spikes at over 40 amps periodically, that can be tested but generally would need some pretty sophisticated instrumentation. A simple clamp-on amp meter probably would not see the anomaly as if it is continuous you would/should see it both on the car display and the EVSE display.

I hope Porsche finds this out soon if it is truly a problem.
Sponsored

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
My dealer asked me to bring in my car and the charger to check it out as I'm experiencing the same condition. A few nights ago I had my 50 amp circuit trip after about 2 hours of charging. I tried to charge again today and I got an error on my charger about the circuit tripping. I unplugged the charger, plugged it back in and dialed down the amperage on the charger to 32 to lighten the load. That worked very well and the cable stayed cool but charging was obviously slower. Will let you know what my dealer says after they look at the car and charger.
Appreciate it, thanks! Good luck on your resolution!

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
That does sound concerning.the EVSE (charger) is really nothing but a glorified relay and some circuitry to speak to the car telling it how much power it should to draw as well as an amp and volt meter to display something on its screen. It does not limit the power to the vehicle nor does it draw any significant power of its own.

The only explanation I can come up with is the on board car charger spikes at over 40 amps periodically, that can be tested but generally would need some pretty sophisticated instrumentation. A simple clamp-on amp meter probably would not see the anomaly as if it is continuous you would/should see it both on the car display and the EVSE display.

I hope Porsche finds this out soon if it is truly a problem.
If US breakers are technically similar to EU types they will trip only instantly when there is a real shortcut ( ultra high Amps in very short time). Otherwise when the Amps are only slightly above nominal value (maybe 45 instead of 40Amps as an example) they will trip only after some minutes. This should be detectable by a clamp-on meter. But if we take into account that there is a PMCC in between, which is NOT only a glorified relay ;-) , this would open up the relay after some seconds at e.g. 45Amps. This did not happen, as I understood the description.

So I really think there is something weird in the installation, and not the car. Like melted insulation or a tripping of the breaker because of heat at the breaker.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Prior post from @louv regarding Timer Profiles to set up the Porsche Mobile Charger to charge to 85% . . .

Use a Departure Timer to set a Maximum "Target" Charge. You can do this on either the Connect App or directly in the car.

Steps: (in the App)
1. Tap on [Timer]
2. Tap [Add a New Timer]
3. Set the time for 4:20am (this time doesn't matter much, change as desired)
4. Turn ON "Repeat", and make sure that every day is checked.
5. Turn ON "Charging"
6. Set your "Target Charge" to 85%.
7. Turn off "Climate Control"
8. Tap [Save]

Now, in the "Departure Timer" screen, it shows a list of all the Timers you've setup. Make sure this one always stays checked.

Make sure "Direct Charging" is turned off.

If you DON'T have any Timers set, then the car will always charge to 100%.

-----------------------
@louv - I got this to finally work remotely from 1000 miles away through the Porsche Connect app. I could not get the profiles to sync when I tried it on my laptop.
OK, just so I'm clear, you have to set a timer in order for the car to stop charging at 85%??

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
OK, just so I'm clear, you have to set a timer in order for the car to stop charging at 85%??
No Offense, but...

If you do, then I'm not accepting delivery on my car. That would be incredibly stupid and senseless. There is no way I'm going through all that crap every time I plug my car in. Do you have to do that with your cell phone?

Last edited:

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No Offense, but...

If you do, then I'm not accepting delivery on my car. That we be incredibly stupid and senseless. There is no way I'm going through all that crap every time I plug my car in. Do you have to do that with your cell phone?
Sort of.... I only have the Taycan and the Tesla so my experience is limited to these but in both cars you have to set the charge target. Just once is all you need to do if you don't plan on adjusting it.

I have a "Charging Profile" that I've named 'General Charging' and that's set to 80%. It's always checked so my car is always at 80% when it's plugged in. I don't have to mess or fiddle with anything. If I want the car to bump to 100 I use "Direct Charging" when I plug it in. Just make sure "Direct Charging" is not enabled when you don't care about 100% otherwise it pushes to 100% irrespective of the Profile - it's like a hard override. I have a "Departure Timer" that sets the car to 85% and preheats/cools the cabin to the specified temperature.

I played with this a bit after I bought the car and if I remember correctly the car will charge Profile amount first. If the Departure Timer is a higher level then it'll bump up to that. But the Departure Timer will not override the Charging Profile if the Charging Profile has a higher charge setting. For example, if you have a Charging Profile set to 90% and a Departure Timer at 80%, the battery will charge to 90% ignoring the Departure Timer (other than it will pre-condition the interior). Conversely, if your Charging Profile is 80% and your Departure Timer is at 90% then the battery will charge to 90%. A key difference in that example is if you plug in at night when you get home, the Charging Profile will take you to 80%. At some point in the morning in advance of your scheduled departure time in the Departure Timer, the car will charge up more to 90%.

Hope that helps.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Yes it charges to 85% with my timer profile and stops. I have had my car in the garage for up to 4 weeks at a time plugged into the normal US outlet 110v L1 (I’m getting the 240 v NEMA 14-50 outlet installed next week). When the SOC drops below 85%, the solid green lights on the charger will start to flash blue in a charge paused state until it calculates the appropriate time period to get the SOC back to 85% to meet my ready time of 4:30 am. It will start to blink green until it finishes.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Sort of.... I only have the Taycan and the Tesla so my experience is limited to these but in both cars you have to set the charge target. Just once is all you need to do if you don't plan on adjusting it.

I have a "Charging Profile" that I've named 'General Charging' and that's set to 80%. It's always checked so my car is always at 80% when it's plugged in. I don't have to mess or fiddle with anything. If I want the car to bump to 100 I use "Direct Charging" when I plug it in. Just make sure "Direct Charging" is not enabled when you don't care about 100% otherwise it pushes to 100% irrespective of the Profile - it's like a hard override. I have a "Departure Timer" that sets the car to 85% and preheats/cools the cabin to the specified temperature.

I played with this a bit after I bought the car and if I remember correctly the car will charge Profile amount first. If the Departure Timer is a higher level then it'll bump up to that. But the Departure Timer will not override the Charging Profile if the Charging Profile has a higher charge setting. For example, if you have a Charging Profile set to 90% and a Departure Timer at 80%, the battery will charge to 90% ignoring the Departure Timer (other than it will pre-condition the interior). Conversely, if your Charging Profile is 80% and your Departure Timer is at 90% then the battery will charge to 90%. A key difference in that example is if you plug in at night when you get home, the Charging Profile will take you to 80%. At some point in the morning in advance of your scheduled departure time in the Departure Timer, the car will charge up more to 90%.

Hope that helps.
So, if I understand you correctly, all I need to do is set up a single General Charging Profile with a charge target of 85%. I'm not interested in dealing/configuring/maintaining/using "timers" and it sounds like they just needlessly complicate things (if you don't need/want them)...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you need to set a profile and a timer -but once you get it all setup it's location specific and will just repeat from that point forward - the charging user interface is overly complex - but once you get a setting that works you never have to touch it again.

the germans could use some user interface simplification…

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
you need to set a profile and a timer -but once you get it all setup it's location specific and will just repeat from that point forward - the charging user interface is overly complex - but once you get a setting that works you never have to touch it again.

Hi - seems like you don't really need a timer - unless you want a timer function.
Just setting General Profile to minimum 85% will start charging when plugged in and stop when reaches 85%. (The 'minimum' also serves as a 'target').

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, if I understand you correctly, all I need to do is set up a single General Charging Profile with a charge target of 85%. I'm not interested in dealing/configuring/maintaining/using "timers" and it sounds like they just needlessly complicate things (if you don't need/want them)...
Correct. Once you set the Charging Profile to your minimum charge (the wording can be confusing) then that's what it'll charge to unless you set a Timer to go higher. The timers aren't needless - they have a function and a pretty nice one. For example, heating the car up in the winter or cooling it down in the summer before you get in to head off. But if you don't care about that feature you don't have to use it.

This isn't correct - you do not need to set a timer if you don't want one.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi - seems like you don't really need a timer - unless you want a timer function.
Just setting General Profile to minimum 85% will start charging when plugged in and stop when reaches 85%. (The 'minimum' also serves as a 'target').
Correct - the Timer isn't required. It's just if you want that functionality.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct - the Timer isn't required. It's just if you want that functionality.
OK, so if I set my timer to 7:30 am and charge to 85% I will have 85% charge every morning at 7:30. Also I'm hearing I can setup the car to automatically heat/cool at this time??

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
OK, so if I set my timer to 7:30 am and charge to 85% I will have 85% charge every morning at 7:30. Also I'm hearing I can setup the car to automatically heat/cool at this time??
Yes when you set up the timer profile, you can also program which days to apply the profile. I have mine set to every day to simplify matters.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hope this helps, all cables will generate heat, you just never noticed it before as the power draw isn’t to high. But with the higher amperage cables like the ones used to charge your car there is a lot of heat can be generated. Imagine if you cooked the cable and tie wrapped it. That middle cable would heat up and could cause a fire. Therefore it is recommended not to coil cable and to roll out all of the cable.
Does it specifically state this in the IFU? I plan on using the 25' cable with the Porsche charging dock. I only need about 10' of the cable, so I plan on keeping the remainder coiled around the charging dock.
Sponsored