ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wanted to add one more reason for timers is when charging to 100% for a road trip. Although simply pressing the direct charge button is by far the easiest option, using a timer profile instead allows the car to not reach 100% until shortly before you will be departing. having lithium ion batteries at 100% for a long time is not good for their optimal life, and a long time can be measured in even hours. Therefore I plan to set a timer when charging to 100% which is about once a week right now as I have been doing long weekend trips regularly. I agree with others that the user interface could no-doubt be improved but once you get used to it, it's fine. My $0.02.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'm just old-school, technologically speaking. Yeah, that generation! So, I look at my wife's Connect App, see what the SoC is and then manually plug in and after a coupla hours, I check the SoC and disconnect when it's 85-90%. Does the job for me and I don't mind doing it.
I have Porsche Connect on my phone also for my Panamera Turbo and I'm sure I can program it to her car but, again, read 1st sentence.
ACK!

(No Offense)

Why would you NOT simply set 85% in your General Profile ONCE and then just "Fuggetabowdit"?

You say you are "old-school", but you are using your phone to "disconnect the charge"?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Wanted to add one more reason for timers is when charging to 100% for a road trip. Although simply pressing the direct charge button is by far the easiest option, using a timer profile instead allows the car to not reach 100% until shortly before you will be departing. having lithium ion batteries at 100% for a long time is not good for their optimal life, and a long time can be measured in even hours. Therefore I plan to set a timer when charging to 100% which is about once a week right now as I have been doing long weekend trips regularly. I agree with others that the user interface could no-doubt be improved but once you get used to it, it's fine. My $0.02.
Yes, excellent way to reduce battery degradation. Remember the time is the time you want the car to be at 100%.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am glad that forum members have discovered different options for getting to 85%. There are some situations whether it is precool/heat, or the cheaper electricity rates available that I can achieve overnight that are more difficult with a general profile vs. a timer profile. Setting up a timer profile takes about 15 seconds longer to do than a general profile, so either is easy to do. Once set up both are automatic. Below is the difference in the electricity rates with Georgia Power.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.38.34 PM.png
That certainly is a big difference in costs. This is a very good example of when the option to set a Timer for charging can reduce the costs. That saving can then be used to buy some nice French wines or Champagne, please!! We need the business!:cool:

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That certainly is a big difference in costs. This is a very good example of when the option to set a Timer for charging can reduce the costs. That saving can then be used to buy some nice French wines or Champagne, please!! We need the business!:cool:
For people that don't yet have the car it's important to note that Timer's don't have a charging time window. They have a "departure time" instead. So to the post regarding Georgia's off-peak schedule you'd want to st a timer to be "ready to leave" by 7am so you're charged during the super off-peak. So it's possible but obviously more of a work around. The Charging Profile however has a "Preferred Charging Time" window where you would specify the ideal off-peak hours.

The take-away for new comers is the Taycan has a couple of ways to skin this cat but my read on the intended design is Charging Profile is for setting that foundation charge limit and establishing off-hours charging times for areas that have advantageous rates and Timers are for preheating or precooling the car or charging above normal baseline rate for maybe a road trip or something.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For people that don't yet have the car it's important to note that Timer's don't have a charging time window. They have a "departure time" instead. So to the post regarding Georgia's off-peak schedule you'd want to st a timer to be "ready to leave" by 7am so you're charged during the super off-peak. So it's possible but obviously more of a work around. The Charging Profile however has a "Preferred Charging Time" window where you would specify the ideal off-peak hours.

The take-away for new comers is the Taycan has a couple of ways to skin this cat but my read on the intended design is Charging Profile is for setting that foundation charge limit and establishing off-hours charging times for areas that have advantageous rates and Timers are for preheating or precooling the car or charging above normal baseline rate for maybe a road trip or something.
There are several ways of skinning the cat, I agree. My comment was based on the super off peak rate in the post. I have no idea of what hours the On peak hours are! But let us assume they are between 18.00 and 20.30, when everybody returns home. They set the aircon to max, start cooking and turn on lights and televisions etc.

If you now have set your minimum charge to 85% and plug your car in at 18.00 you will be using the on peak rate for 2.5 hours and the normal off peak rate for 2.5 hours?

It is still cheaper than petrol but not optimal.

If you on the other hand set a departure timer for 07.00, the car will start charging at a suitable time so that it can reach the set (85%) level by 07.00. The time it will start depends of course on how powerful the charger is and the SOC of the batttery?

Just my thoughts.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are several ways of skinning the cat, I agree. My comment was based on the super off peak rate in the post. I have no idea of what hours the On peak hours are! But let us assume they are between 18.00 and 20.30, when everybody returns home. They set the aircon to max, start cooking and turn on lights and televisions etc.

If you now have set your minimum charge to 85% and plug your car in at 18.00 you will be using the on peak rate for 2.5 hours and the normal off peak rate for 2.5 hours?

It is still cheaper than petrol but not optimal.

If you on the other hand set a departure timer for 07.00, the car will start charging at a suitable time so that it can reach the set (85%) level by 07.00. The time it will start depends of course on how powerful the charger is and the SOC of the batttery?

Just my thoughts.
No you're absolutely right - those are crazy electric rates. For the three peak summer months where I am I pay 11.8c per kwh 24x7. I'd totally charge after hours if we had a tiered system.

I'm just highlighting that that's not what timers appear to be made for. But it works in that instance. Say for example though you are leaving at 8, you need to make 1 timer that says 7 so you get the full charge you want before the cheap juice goes away and then 1 timer for 8 if you want the car to cool down before you get in it.

And yes, as I understand it the onboard software figures SoC and works backward from there to get the car up to charge by the time you depart.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
ACK!

(No Offense)

Why would you NOT simply set 85% in your General Profile ONCE and then just "Fuggetabowdit"?

You say you are "old-school", but you are using your phone to "disconnect the charge"?
Nope! I use the ultra-modern protocol of pressing the blinking green ring, wait for white and pulling the plug out of the car!
Once I have the 4 gauge wire installed (to replace the 6 that's been causing some heating issues) I will probably go to virtual night school and learn how to Program/Time the charging. Or, I could just watch Gogs video (thanks, Gogs!) and save on the tuition!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Nope! I use the ultra-modern protocol of pressing the blinking green ring, wait for white and pulling the plug out of the car!
Once I have the 4 gauge wire installed (to replace the 6 that's been causing some heating issues) I will probably go to virtual night school and learn how to Program/Time the charging. Or, I could just watch Gogs video (thanks, Gogs!) and save on the tuition!
Saving you money everyday!! My new slogan!

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I've been having problems from day one with the charging. I had one day when it charged to 85% but mostly the charge was over 85%.

I decided to start again. I set a timer to precool to 20 deg at 7:45am. I set the general profile to "MIN" 85%, preferred charge times 23:00 to 7:00 and left my Andersen wall charger as always on.

This morning my car was still charging at 7:30 and hit 100%. WTF.

I did not press the direct charge button. The general profile was active, the one timer profile was active but without charge enabled. Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been having problems from day one with the charging. I had one day when it charged to 85% but mostly the charge was over 85%.

I decided to start again. I set a timer to precool to 20 deg at 7:45am. I set the general profile to "MIN" 85%, preferred charge times 23:00 to 7:00 and left my Andersen wall charger as always on.

This morning my car was still charging at 7:30 and hit 100%. WTF.

I did not press the direct charge button. The general profile was active, the one timer profile was active but without charge enabled. Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong?
Could it be so that the Andersen charger, which you left as always ON, overrides the stop function from the car? I have only the PMCC so can not commen5 on your charger.

I would be interested to know how the charging worked when you plugged in. Did it start to charge then directly or ...? That is my understanding of how minimum charge is supposed to be. Then i5 may have charged the car, stopped at 85% and restarted again in the time window you gave it???

I would ask you to try the following instead.

1 Set everything, Timer, Profile etc to off. Go back to scratch.

2. In the timer set your preferred charge level to 85% and your departure time to 07.00. Turn this on. The car should start to charge at a time suitable for it to reach 85% by 07.00. It seems to calculate that by feeling the power of the charger.

3 Set your precool/ heat Timer to 07.45 and turn that on. That should start at a suitable time as well.

4 Is there any other setting on the Andersen Charger than always ON?

There is some info in the right of the screen that says the profile function needs to have some suitable equipment, but I have no idea what that is. Maybe the PMCC is prt of that?

These settings work perfectly for me. Car is just fine in the morning and charged to 85% as I want it.

Try it and let me know please.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
while it is correct that charging a LiON battery to 100% and leave it there is bad for the battery - that's only true if it's the actual 100%…

while no one knows for sure where Porsche has SOC capacity buffers in this car - we do know of the possible 93 kWh only 84.x kWh are available to the "consumer" of the vehicle…now that leaves 9 kWh of "unused" capacity - it's therefore is highly unlikely that the entire 9 kWh is "bottom" buffer - Porsche battery management system (BMS) has some configured split of unused capacity at the bottom and the top - the exact split is unknown outside of Porsche and is likely to vary over time with fleet data, OTA updates, and conditions local to your vehicle where the BMS system is enpowered to managed this as it sees fit…

charging your Taycan is very very very unlikely to actually achieve 100% LiON charge level - therefore charging to 100% is unlikely to damage to the Battery because the BMS will prevent you from reaching the actual 100%…

over time as the battery ages both Porsche and the BMS will "release" un-used capacity to replace minor losses normal in the every day dis-charge/charge cycle - gradually encroaching on the batteries overall life…

I would be really really really surprised if anyone can actually get to an actual 100% charge level, and over the life of the car (10-12 years, 250,000 miles) make any serious dent in the overall buffer or total battery capacity.

but again I don't actually know anything, all we know is Porsche's BMS is managing all this behind the scenes and that the 0% and 100% you see "in the car" is unlikely to be the actual SOC of the LiON cells but rather an adjusted view representing 0-100 of what Porsche has unlocked for your use.

Porsche's warranty coverage is par for the luxury class and among electric vehicles. The Taycan'soptional 93.4-kWh battery is guaranteed to retain at least 70 percent of its capacity for eight years or 100,000 miles.
with an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty I'm unconcerned about this issue - Porsche is very conservative and wishes to avoid warranty claims in large numbers - if they can meet these targets I'm pretty sure the underlying BMS is also fairly conservative with the top/bottom buffer's and there is very very little you can do to actually control/impact the battery life, the BMS is there to prevent any serious risk to the underlying battery.

the actual battery SOC and how much buffer has been encroached upon is a bit like the "overrev" data kept in the car's ECU and checked by any competent buyer considering the purchase of used vehicle with a manual transmission - however I highly, highly doubt _ANYONE_ gets to see this actual number for a given battery outside of Porsche or specifically authorized service personal - and I doubt that authorization would be common. More likely if there is a battery issue, porsche will simply swap the battery/cell-module at your local dealer, and when the discarded battery/cell is returned to Porsche they will analyze the actual condition of the battery.

if you don't want to charge the battery to 100% great, that's wonderful and is probably even better for the battery - but don't be confused the 100% you see inside the car on the center screen is very very very likely to not be an actual true 100% - Porsche engineering and warranty management is simply too conservative for that to be the case IMHO.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
while it is correct that charging a LiON battery to 100% and leave it there is bad for the battery - that's only true if it's the actual 100%…

while no one knows for sure where Porsche has SOC capacity buffers in this car - we do know of the possible 93 kWh only 84.x kWh are available to the "consumer" of the vehicle…now that leaves 9 kWh of "unused" capacity - it's therefore is highly unlikely that the entire 9 kWh is "bottom" buffer - Porsche battery management system (BMS) has some configured split of unused capacity at the bottom and the top - the exact split is unknown outside of Porsche and is likely to vary over time with fleet data, OTA updates, and conditions local to your vehicle where the BMS system is enpowered to managed this as it sees fit…
As you said nobody outside of Porsche knows exactly how this is done. However after reading the test that @svp6 did in his post here, it looks to me that there is zero buffer at the top of the 100% charge.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-set-to-profile-to-only-charge-to-85.1858/post-25948

Unless we can see the charge levels in detail on a cell level, I think it is wise to follow Porsche recommendation for a daily charge of 85%. There may be some owners here that have this car as a keeper, and the Porsche advice would ensure as long a battery life as possible.

Others May only have a three year lease on it and think differently. The next owner may not like it though.
Sponsored