Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)?

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Another oddity is that Waze, using the same exact route, shows a 2 hour shorter trip than Porsche or ABRP, and yet the total charging time for both Porsche and ABRP is only 45 minutes.

I would be less surprised if the difference were less, but that's a pretty big differential for the same route.

Does Waze calculate routes based on past driving habits (which could then explain things as I may or may not misbehave with respect to velocity inputs . . .. )?

What else could explain such a huge differential? Does ABRP and Porsche assume that you will drive below the speed limit for the purpose of maximizing range?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I guess hers is the Prius then....
We have a Prius each :)

At my last swap 4 years ago I fancied something a bit quicker but also plug in hybrid with room for the dog.

The other car on the short list was the Panamera sport Turismo plug in but it was 600kg heavier and so big I can’t park it most places I go (the Taycan will be the same) plus it needed over £10 grand extra spending on it to match the parts of the standard Prius spec I wanted (but not all of it) which irritated me a lot so on the basis of what extra it offered for how much extra money I chose the Prius and am still pleased with it. I am not selling it unless the Taycan turns out to be better in every way.

Amusingly my number plate is worth more than a Prius :)

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Of course the cruise mode is to be preferred and I use it as much as possible, as with my previous Macans.
The update should further improve its efficiency .
Living in the mountains, regen is an important characteristic.
When i need to slow , i first press regen button and immediately the brake pedal.
Normally, under 0.4 G, the brake pads do not touch the discs .
I am not sure this would make a difference. If I look at the power meter, if I brake it will slow down on the electric engines (regenerate) anyway wether regen is on or off.

But please correct me if my view isn’t correct on this.

When I drive in the mountains I also switch regen on when driving down hill because I like it to slow down automatically and usually it keeps it at a comfortable speed. And at the same time chargers the battery.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Another oddity is that Waze, using the same exact route, shows a 2 hour shorter trip than Porsche or ABRP, and yet the total charging time for both Porsche and ABRP is only 45 minutes.

I would be less surprised if the difference were less, but that's a pretty big differential for the same route.

Does Waze calculate routes based on past driving habits (which could then explain things as I may or may not misbehave with respect to velocity inputs . . .. )?

What else could explain such a huge differential? Does ABRP and Porsche assume that you will drive below the speed limit for the purpose of maximizing range?
One thing is that ABRP and maybe Porsche too will add some time for the charging proces it self. I think 5-10 minutes. So for three charges this could be half an hour.

And Waze could allow a higher speed in Germany?

And Waze might have some shortcuts?

On a long trip I have seen my time of arrival in PCM navigation go down 15 minutes on a 10 hour trip. Maybe PCM is a bit pessimistic?

Still 2 hours is a lot.

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I am not sure this would make a difference. If I look at the power meter, if I brake it will slow down on the electric engines (regenerate) anyway wether regen is on or off.
But please correct me if my view isn’t correct on this.
Your point of view is certainly correct, simply with this way of braking I "hope " to be a little more sure that the mechanical brake will not be activated,

[/QUOTE]
When I drive in the mountains I also switch regen on when driving down hill because I like it to slow down automatically and usually it keeps it at a comfortable speed. And at the same time chargers the battery.
[/QUOTE]
Once again, this is only an impression, reinforced over time with observation, I think that braking more strongly than level 1 of the regen is more effective for recharging , perhaps corresponding to a better charge/battery power ratio.
Normally your way of driving downhill results in the same amount of energy recovered, even a little more because the maximum speed is lower (less air drag loss)

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Regarding regen, I found that flipping ACC on instead of pressing the regen button is actually more effective on downhills or when catching up to traffic since you don’t have to think about adjusting throttle to maintain speed.

I don’t ever use the regen button because of this.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
For your road trip I suggest driving as fast a you are comfortable with and not worrying about range mode (unless you fear that you won't make it to the next fast charger). I worked up a few different scenarios in ABRP and I published them (with screenshots) in this article https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/what-everyone-should-know-before-they-buy-an-ev-1ba9095c15ba

The result shows that driving 20% faster than the posted speed limit makes a long trip faster overall than driving at the speed limit. Not that I'm condoning breaking the law, just sharing some data that I worked up in a tool that should be fairly accurate. Food for thought.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For your road trip I suggest driving as fast a you are comfortable with and not worrying about range mode (unless you fear that you won't make it to the next fast charger). I worked up a few different scenarios in ABRP and I published them (with screenshots) in this article https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/what-everyone-should-know-before-they-buy-an-ev-1ba9095c15ba

The result shows that driving 20% faster than the posted speed limit makes a long trip faster overall than driving at the speed limit. Not that I'm condoning breaking the law, just sharing some data that I worked up in a tool that should be fairly accurate. Food for thought.
Thank you. Interesting article. I would really like to see whether the Apps calculations proved to be accurate, as that really is a surprising result. It doesn’t really match my real world experience with my Tesla X where avoiding an extra stop was key in reducing overall trip time. That could be due to the fact that traffic flows are not perfect so you can’t gain all of the time needed to make up the range that you lose. I found that anything above 70 mph really cut down range, but maybe Taycan is better from an aero perspective.

I would typically find a semi going 5 mph or so above the speed limit, turn on autopilot and tuck in behind the truck at the closest setting. I found that my range would increase by 30% typically. This extra range let me cut down stops such that it was shorter overall than driving faster without an aero shield.

I’m looking forward to my first trip tomorrow. I found that the second stop has better food options as is nearer to lunch, so I’m going to game the system by optimizing to ensure I arrive at that second stop with 15% (is this too conservative? Should I allow 10%?). I’ll take longer to eat than the required charge anyway, so why waste time at the first stop?

I also turned off “follow speed limit” for innodrive so hopefully that will fix my biggest annoyance with innodrive. Finally, I inflated tires to 43/47, which is 2 psi above recommended amounts, which seems good for range. I also managed to pack such that I don’t need roofbox after all.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry for all of the questions, but I was down messing with the settings and noticed something very weird.

I am direct charging, and I was looking at the routes and times between normal and range mode.

When I am in normal mode, it lets the car continue to charge.

When I started nav in range mode, it shut off charging. I tried to press the direct charging button, and it said that I cannot, because I am in range mode. I then went back to normal mode and let nav recalculate, and then I pressed direct charging and, lo and behold, charging started again.

You have got to be kidding me that range modes shuts down all charging immediately as soon as it hits the "sufficient" charge amount. If that's how it really works, that is patently absurd, and I will never, ever use range mode for any trips. If I happen to linger a bit while visiting a restroom or enjoying lunch, I want my car to continue to charge, not just shut down . . . jeez.

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I just did long trip on Europe and my findings are: range mode do extend the range, eco A/C were sufficient even in 29-32 celcius heat, range mode automatically shuts the passenger screen, manually you can set other screens brightness down, manually you can shut down the center screen, if you have 4 zone climate make sure that rear is shutdown if nobody is sitting there.

Lowest setting was fine, but this is probably very depended on the road surfaces.

Ultimately the speed is the most deciding factor, if you drive fast then the battery goes fast. This is to be considered regarding stops and fast chargers. So, lets say you need to stop 3 times along the route, maybe the first leg is shorted and you will have easy time to reach it, then drive faster. If second leg is tighter in terms of range, take all measures to save the battery to reach the charger (AND LEAVE SOME ROOM for range if the charger is broken down).

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thank you. Interesting article. I would really like to see whether the Apps calculations proved to be accurate, as that really is a surprising result. It doesn’t really match my real world experience with my Tesla X where avoiding an extra stop was key in reducing overall trip time. That could be due to the fact that traffic flows are not perfect so you can’t gain all of the time needed to make up the range that you lose. I found that anything above 70 mph really cut down range, but maybe Taycan is better from an aero perspective.

I would typically find a semi going 5 mph or so above the speed limit, turn on autopilot and tuck in behind the truck at the closest setting. I found that my range would increase by 30% typically. This extra range let me cut down stops such that it was shorter overall than driving faster without an aero shield.

I’m looking forward to my first trip tomorrow. I found that the second stop has better food options as is nearer to lunch, so I’m going to game the system by optimizing to ensure I arrive at that second stop with 15% (is this too conservative? Should I allow 10%?). I’ll take longer to eat than the required charge anyway, so why waste time at the first stop?

I also turned off “follow speed limit” for innodrive so hopefully that will fix my biggest annoyance with innodrive. Finally, I inflated tires to 43/47, which is 2 psi above recommended amounts, which seems good for range. I also managed to pack such that I don’t need roofbox after all.
In my experience ABRP is very conservative. On a 1000 km trip it wanted me to charge 5 times and pcm 3 times. Standard setting in ABRP is 27 kw/100 km at 110 km/h. Even with my skibox I am around 24 Kw/100 km.

I use ABRP to plan the route and check where the chargers are. For me it is more accurate to plan with pcm in the car.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@McgR the default settings in ABRP for the Taycan are too conservative but you can change the reference consumption under advanced settings. I found 250 Wh/mi @65mph to give me really accurate SOC predictions, within 2-3% compared to reality. I’ve seen others suggest between 250 and 275 from their experience.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
@McgR the default settings in ABRP for the Taycan are too conservative but you can change the reference consumption under advanced settings. I found 250 Wh/mi @65mph to give me really accurate SOC predictions, within 2-3% compared to reality. I’ve seen others suggest between 250 and 275 from their experience.
Yes very conservative. Even with my roofbox and driving 120-130 kmh I was doing better than what ABRP predicted.

I have set it to 24 kWh/100 km at 110 km/h.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
At least with my experience with Waze.

It takes your HOV stickers and any toll passes into consideration.

In CA, we can use HOV lanes during commute hours and Waze will calculate this into the trip. I always noticed Waze is more accurate in this sense, and the live updates on Waze are updated more often vs in-car Navi, or other apps.

Even though other apps also have live traffic info.

Not sure how this is calculated, but my Waze ETA is usually pretty accurate. Other GPS apps or built-in Navigation will keep changing over time depending on your driving and traffic. which as you get closer to destination, will be a closer match to Waze.

-ThinkMac-

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
In my experience ABRP is very conservative. On a 1000 km trip it wanted me to charge 5 times and pcm 3 times. Standard setting in ABRP is 27 kw/100 km at 110 km/h. Even with my skibox I am around 24 Kw/100 km.

I use ABRP to plan the route and check where the chargers are. For me it is more accurate to plan with pcm in the car.
I get around this by subscribing to Tronity and feeding actual consumption figures into ABRP. I do believe this only works for European Taycan's.

Porsche Taycan Settings for Road Trips (other than default Range Mode)? Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 19.44.40
Sponsored