Sheeme150 just posted "The PAINS of Living with an EV! My WORST Experience Yet"

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Wonder if we can look forward to this type of experience in the US?

So, what do you mean by "this type of experience in the US?" I think it is common knowledge that this guy is a non-experienced EV owner and lives in the UK - which has an underdeveloped EV charging infrastructure.

There are plenty of other Taycan Youtube videos by more experienced and more knowledgeable people that you can watch. I would recommend that you do not waste your time watching this guy's videos when he talks about his Taycan because his experience is very different than what you will experience in the US once you get your Taycan.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wonder if we can look forward to this type of experience in the US?
I charge at EA every week and almost always one out of three stations is out of order. Usually that is not a problem but yesterday there was a Fiat 500 EV and a Ford e-Mach charging and I had to wait for them since the third station was broken.
Btw all recent EA issues are not like the ones in early days where you call and they can fix the issue remotely. The new ones could not be resolved over the phone.
I can see the situation getting worst with so many EVs to be released next year, all relying in EA network.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The more I watch these popular YTers, the more I have the suspicion that they just do and say anything to get the views and subscriptions for them to make money.

If eating rotten fish heads is the latest fad, they will make vids on this and praise it like the lord!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Agree his experience is limited - he has so many other cars to play with (to make time to drive the 1 EV he has) such that he doesn't have the time to do his homework and check the environment for charging options (and their status - working / not working). Ionity isn't the only game in town nor is Ultra Fast charging "essential" - 50kW is probably more plentiful than is perhaps realised. Not perfect but not a disaster either.

Underground (private) car parks are an issue (I have this in Edinburgh) and the battle is between the operator of the car park, the leaseholder, the owner and the management company. Too many obstacles to make it a viable proposition for most. I suspect this will change in time but don't purchase an EV with a view that it will be plain sailing to have your own EVSE installed in such an environment on demand - it may never happen.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Agree his experience is limited - he has so many other cars to play with (to make time to drive the 1 EV he has) such that he doesn't have the time to do his homework and check the environment for charging options (and their status - working / not working). Ionity isn't the only game in town nor is Ultra Fast charging "essential" - 50kW is probably more plentiful than is perhaps realised. Not perfect but not a disaster either.
So true!

I suspect this will change in time but don't purchase an EV with a view that it will be plain sailing to have your own EVSE installed in such an environment on demand - it may never happen.
It becomes much easier, when a law is passed. In China, car parks have to turn a small percentage into EV charging slots. In Germany a new law was passed so property owners cannot say no when a tenant requests it.

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
At this stage in the lifecycle of the EV (non-Tesla) and its ecosystem, I can’t see buying an EV without home charging capability. I don’t want the hassle. That said, I’ve not tried the EA network so I can’t say how good or bad it is. I’m going to try some shorter road trips in the coming months and we’ll see how it goes.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Can't stand him so meh.
First of all, I can't believe people still watch his crap. I met him at SEMA a couple years ago, stopped watching his videos after watching just one. Arrogant, annoying, full of himself.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I charge at EA every week and almost always one out of three stations is out of order. Usually that is not a problem but yesterday there was a Fiat 500 EV and a Ford e-Mach charging and I had to wait for them since the third station was broken.
Btw all recent EA issues are not like the ones in early days where you call and they can fix the issue remotely. The new ones could not be resolved over the phone.
I can see the situation getting worst with so many EVs to be released next year, all relying in EA network.
For the US, this is exactly right. EA does have some issues with individual chargers being down, so this will need to be improved as more and more EV's that rely on the EA network hit the road. Luckily, most of the new EV's being released in the near future have faster charging capability, so hopefully that will assist with functioning EA chargers when on a road trip. I have had my Taycan for a year, and had a e-Tron for 6 months before that, and I never have had to wait for an EA charger, however, I can see this changing in the future.

At this stage of EV charging infrastructure development, you would have to be crazy to buy an EV if you don't have access to a reliable charger at your domicile, whether it be your home or apartment.

Finally, I am glad I am not alone in my opinion of that particular Youtube content producer.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don’t understand all the anger aimed at him.
I bought my first EV 6 months ago and have never charged it out in the wild due to lockdown restrictions.
I have several trips planned & seeing some of the issues he experienced terrifies me. Yes the U.K. has an under developed EV infrastructure but like Shmee points out it’s the chicken & egg scenario. Without the demand the chargers won’t get built.

I’m fortunate to be able to charge at home, but this was a real eye opener for me.

I’m no fan of his and he reminds me of that CBeebies character, Mr Tumble.

However, videos where it all goes wrong is very informative & there’s no way he staged that.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The big picture is that Tesla owners (I own a model S and a Taycan) don’t have those problems, I don’t even plan to travel because so many Tesla’s superchargers everywhere. All the legacy automakers starting with WV should compete with the fast charging infrastructure in a massive way, apps are foolish, just plug and charge. I remember my dilema when I got my fir EV back in 2012 a model S, I keep my ICE for six months until I realized that I do not need a back up car.

993Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘96 Porsche 993 C2
Country flag
I bought my first EV 6 months ago and have never charged it out in the wild due to lockdown restrictions.
Similar here.. only in fact on 2 occasions when I have tried for fun/ nothing else to do, it’s generally been an awful experience! Literally, amateur hour.

However with average Uk journey on our little isle being just 7.8 miles and the average total mileage being about 10k miles/ year, 200+ miles of range is plenty enough for average Joe(-anne) Brit to just ‘fill up’ at home once a week. I love it - plug in at home, charge kicks in when the juice is cheap overnight.. no nasty gas/ petrol stations for me!

If you’re a road warrior type IN THE UK then IMHO best stick to a ICE or Hybrid for now..

I’m no fan of his and he reminds me of that CBeebies character, Mr Tumble.
Lol!

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Like many you, I find him annoying and grating to watch. Managed to make it through this video just to see what all the hubbub was about. Yeah he does sensationalize it a bit, but at the end of the day, it looks like he's just reporting on the issues he's having with Ionity. I have noticed that, in general, the british motoring press (and social media influencers) tend to complain a lot about the state of public charging networks there. Harry Metcalfe (who i enjoy watching) also complained about this in a Taycan video. No matter where you live, I think it's safe to say that if you dont have a way to easily charge at home, you're not likely to enjoy owning an EV.
Sponsored