RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I was getting concerned, since the Master Plan was to drive the thing locally for a month or two, then head down to FL to visit family, about 800 miles. With that latter trip in mind, I was especially encouraged by Colorado Kid’s comments about his trips to the west coast. My younger brother lives in Denver, BTW.
@SteveDC you'll be golden in DC. The 95 corridor, 270, 66, etc. all have a ton of high speed charging options. As @thecoloradokid said, it really makes a huge difference where you live. I'm about 2 hours north of you and my first road trip was to Richmond. I could have stopped to top off every 40 miles or so. No range anxiety at all. I'm a first time EV buyer too. Enjoy the Taycan, it's a blast!
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The West coast is really stress free. I can go anywhere from Washington to Colorado to California with a few minutes of planning all on 150+ chargers. Eastern Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas are a huge dead zone but west of that you're gucci.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
At this stage in the lifecycle of the EV (non-Tesla) and its ecosystem, I can’t see buying an EV without home charging capability. I don’t want the hassle. That said, I’ve not tried the EA network so I can’t say how good or bad it is. I’m going to try some shorter road trips in the coming months and we’ll see how it goes.
I would agree with this. What makes an EV practical and desirable for us (Taycan and e-Tron) is the ability to charge them at home with the electricity we produce from our own solar. Having a diesel ICE truck as backup also helps. I would be more interested in a plug-in hybrid than a pure EV if I had to rely on regular public charging,

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are zero EA chargers from Bozeman, MT until Minnesota, MN and only a handful of 50 kw. But that's likely due to politics, I'm quite certain EA is itching to put up chargers along I90 and hasn't because of local pushback. I honestly think if these electric trucks end up being as cool as they look, you'll start seeing a lot more acceptance of electric vehicles in rural areas.

EVs are one of those "KEEP THAT AWAY FROM ME!" flashpoints until all of a sudden they hop in an electric truck and are blown away.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
re: newbies in EVs
there is certainly a learning curve when going from an ICE to an EV and Porsche's convoluted charging scheme doesn't make things easy for the newbs.

the other newbie affliction is range anxieties, and that will pass as you learn what the car is capable of.

just be aware of the range killers, speed, elevation changes and headwinds and then plan accordingly.

there was one time when I wasn't aware of the hilly terrain between atlanta and nashville and I made it with 14 miles to spare.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
Approximately what percent of Taycan owners are first time EV buyers, would you say? I‘m one of those first timers. Steve
First timer here as well.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
@SteveDC : you are doing the right thing. Drive your car locally for a while and make sure you get any teething issues out of the way. Driving to Florida from Northern VA, DC, or southern Maryland is about as easy a drive as you can do in the US since there are Electrify American chargers conveniently located all along I-95. If there is any drive to do to figure out road tripping in a Taycan, that is the one. Heck, even driving to visit family in Denver is super easy since I-70 is completely covered as well.

All I can say is don't be afraid getting out and about in your car. The EA chargers are not perfect, but they will get you to Florida or Colorado easily. that being said, always have a back up plan just in case.
Moral support and tips appreciated! Glad tp hear about I95. Steve
Sponsored