Shipping tires

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Has anyone here had to ship tires in the US before? What’s a good way to ship them? I see on eBay that sellers ship 4 tires for $200. Anyone know what shipping service that is?
Sponsored

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Best bet for the budget is likely a freight company. I’ve shipped tires via FedEx but I get a 75% discount through my employer. FedEx will do it but it won’t be cheap.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Best bet for the budget is likely a freight company. I’ve shipped tires via FedEx but I get a 75% discount through my employer. FedEx will do it but it won’t be cheap.
How much did they charge for a set of 4 tires (without the discount)?

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
How much did they charge for a set of 4 tires (without the discount)?
This was many years ago so I don’t remember the details. I want to say it was $100 for me and it was almost 20 years ago. My WAG is that it would be several hundred if not more. And that would just be for unmounted tires. My point was more about the high cost of FDX or UPS so I’d look at DHL and then branch out into some of the over the road freight companies.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tires only or Tires plus wheels. If it's just tires, tape 2 of them together and ship them as is. If it's tires + wheel, tape cardboard on both side of each wheel to protect the surface and ship each wheel as a package.

Ebay seller charging $200 for shipping for a set of wheel + tire is shipping them at a loss. They just don't know it yet cause they haven't checked rates. As a buyer, that's the seller's problem, not yours. If you're the seller, then you need to factor that in as well as selling fees to figure out how much you're actually going to make and consider if you can sell for about the same locally.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tires only or Tires plus wheels. If it's just tires, tape 2 of them together and ship them as is. If it's tires + wheel, tape cardboard on both side of each wheel to protect the surface and ship each wheel as a package.

Ebay seller charging $200 for shipping for a set of wheel + tire is shipping them at a loss. They just don't know it yet cause they haven't checked rates. As a buyer, that's the seller's problem, not yours. If you're the seller, then you need to factor that in as well as selling fees to figure out how much you're actually going to make and consider if you can sell for about the same locally.
Thanks, I'm looking into options. Looking to ship only tires. That said, eBay does seems to have some good shipping deals. I recently bought a single refurb Model S wheel (no tire) with shipping for under $200 tax included. It was from a seasoned seller selling many refurbed wheels, so sincerely doubt they are losing money on each wheel they send out. The wheel is smaller than the tire but not by much, probably similar weight. Here is a similar listing, shipped from NY to WA for $198.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233488624489
I feel like I am missing something.

EDIT> I checked in my ebay order history, the tracking number is UPS (>120 days ago so cannot be tracked anymore, but the tracking number starts with 1Z and looks to be UPS).

Last edited:
OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know the size and weight of Taycan's 20" all season tires (or any Taycan 20" tires)?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know the size and weight of Taycan's 20" all season tires (or any Taycan 20" tires)?
Tires along is about 26lb each for the front and 35lb each for the rear. Wheels are like around 30-35lb each.
Sponsored